Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pistol Probe

Posted by pinpointa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Pistol Probe
March 25, 2020 06:26AM
Hi Guys ,From Down Under In Oz.

I have a problem with my DetectorPro Pistol Probe. The settings green light , hi, low ,& led are all ok. Frequency is all working ok. Threshold is a bit scratchy breaking in and out & some times ok. The main thing is it has lost depth as it will only start to pick up a coin size target at just under an inch. Does any one know any electronic guys in the states or else where that could give me a clue on where the problem is.

Pinpointa from Australia.
Re: Pistol Probe
March 26, 2020 12:00AM
On DetectorPro pinpointers, the usual suspect for sudden loss of depth (as on most pinpointers) is the coil/probe.
There is a relatively fragile ferrite core on some (most) units that can be cracked or broken from abuse like dropping on a hard surface and/or whacking targets to remove crud.
(Quick tip: Don't whack things with your pinpointer....it will last longer if you don't.)

Although the scratchy symptom you mentioned might be a bad potentiometer or wiring/solder connection issue as well.
As a long shot, you might try cleaning the adjustment pots, and inspect the wiring that you have access to.

Otherwise, there is no simple answer....sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2020 12:03AM by Mike in CO.
March 26, 2020 01:06AM
It may be worth a look on Geotech1 , though I'm not overly optimistic, there's not much I recall seeing about them.
March 26, 2020 10:04AM
Thanks Guys for the replys Regards Pinpointa.
March 27, 2020 07:31AM
I have a couple of Pistol Probes, I know you mentioned the Freq is okay. But just in case, Freq Full Counter clock wise will decrease depth, Freq Clock wise increases depth.

I use high setting, Freq full clock wise.

Hope all turns out well, keep us posted.

Paul