Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Are there any? I mean.....is there a ratio?

Posted by FloridaBob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Are there any? I mean.....is there a ratio?
July 08, 2011 03:26AM
It looks like there have been a few great questions posted recently that have spurred some good responses. Here is a question I have and it comes about because I was having a discussion about the metal detecting market and its demographics with some very intelligent folks who are definitely are "in the know". Two questions:

Are there any active female detectorists on this forum?

What do we think the ratio is in the field of guys to gals for this great hobby?
Re: Are there any? I mean.....is there a ratio?
July 08, 2011 03:50AM
Bob,
I have in my club, Suncoast Research & Recovery, at least 5 or 6 dedicated women that hunt regularly and a handful that do hunt with their husbands on frequent occasions but not by themselves. I'm not sure if the dedicated gals would venture into wooded area due to some concern for their safety. Most of our hunting is beach hunting since we live on the beaches of Clearwater and St. Pete.

Suncoast Wally.
July 08, 2011 11:29AM
I have to agree Wally its not very safe out there now days in many parts of our cities so i think the ones who do hunt are being limited to where they hunt... especially alone. Also we as guys have not problem posting for a hunting buddy.... its not quite that easy for the ladies. Id guess there is at least a 50 to one ratio. The ones i do know use lighter equipment.... which may restrict their machine options. Once again i think women are being over looked as a market which might require the companies to repackage their equipment... making them lighter. Something us guys have called for for years with the current tech. available. Ive also noticed a very small percentage of women post their finds and thoughts. With more people detecting i have to believe more will be women.

Dew
July 08, 2011 12:45PM
Personally think detecting is a guy thing and also the safety factor comes into play so feel the percentage male to female is very high, Having said the above years ago met a woman detecting all by herself on a N.J. beach who had the best swing I ever saw and she was lefthanded and yes she had a full pouch. Years later read a large article in a detecting magazine about her and her finds were amazing so indeed are some dedicated detecting females although low in number...
July 08, 2011 05:32PM
My wife hunts with me sometimes but won't go out by herself. She likes the Tesoro Compadre.

I have a little neighbor woman that detects all the time. She is probably in her 70's, will talk your ear off if she sees you out hunting if you let her. She hunts with a 1212X. Does pretty good. Haven't seen her out in a while though. May be too hot.

I sometimes take a bunch of machines out on church picnics and such. The women seem to love it just as much as the men do. Several groups of three or four will share a detector between them and take off and have a blast. However, only one woman has asked me to find her one to buy for her herself as compared to several guys that have pursued it further.

Male dominated activity for sure.

HH
Mike