Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pull the trigger on a CTX 3030 or.....

Posted by kwalenciak 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Pull the trigger on a CTX 3030 or.....
November 06, 2020 04:58PM
I am considering buying a CTX 3030 in the very near future, but.... I have heard rumblings that early 2021 there may be some new products on the market... Just wondering if anyone else heard anything similar - I would hate to get a 3030 if a "4040"? is right around the corner...???
Re: Pull the trigger on a CTX 3030 or.....
November 06, 2020 10:12PM
The way Minelab hypes stuff pre-release, I seriously doubt anything is in the near future.
November 06, 2020 10:52PM
Yes.
November 06, 2020 10:53PM
I meant...yes...pull the trigger.
November 07, 2020 02:43PM
Take this with a grain of salt, this guy on Facebook from the UK has been posting things like this since June on the Minelab CTX 3030 page:

Christopher Armstrong
The new style ctx is out very soon already built held back due to COVID-

Christopher Armstrong
It’s been out 12 years now and the technology has improved
· Reply · 18w
Christopher Armstrong
Sept I got told but then COVID happened
· Reply · 18w
Paul Weaving
Christopher Armstrong i seen it as a rumour but not seen anything concrete to suggest?
· Reply · 18w
Christopher Armstrong
Paul Weaving take my word for it it’s happening
· Reply · 18w
Christopher Armstrong
Paul Weaving they won’t advertise just yet
· Reply · 18w
Paul Weaving
Christopher Armstrong you think will be expensive?
· Reply · 18w
Paul Weaving
Christopher Armstrong where you find this out?
· Reply · 18w
Christopher Armstrong
Paul Weaving got to twice the nox
· Reply · 18w
Christopher Armstrong
Paul Weaving wish I could say but don’t want anyone in trouble

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2020 02:45PM by kwalenciak.
November 07, 2020 04:09PM
I had two CTXs at one time or another. I thought they were nice detectors. They will find stuff.

But in my opinion....over priced.

It is twelve year old tech.

In my personal opinion the Equinox 800 is a better detector.

Best part of the CTX was the tone adjustments. Being able to set it up on a computer was simple and quick. The sound settings were so good that looking at the screen wasn't needed.

But in the end just not worth the money. I also feel the Equinox finds more in the iron. If not it has to be darn close, and again not worth the cost.
November 08, 2020 01:13AM
CTX is overpriced and at 5.2 pounds, very heavy.

IMO, it has little if any advantage over the Equinox. It all depends on what you want the detector to do.
November 08, 2020 02:34AM
The CTX and Equinox are different tools, and as has been said, it depends on HOW you hunt and WHAT you want out of it. Neither is a magic wand.
November 08, 2020 10:45AM
edited

[www.earthscan.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2020 10:49AM by rustic charm.
November 08, 2020 05:02PM
3030 still has a insane resale value ..... even after 10 years........ the 3030 technology was years ahead of its time........

only thing Minelabs can do to improve the 3030........make it more lite weight .... less expensive ......add The IQ technology to be more sensitive to low conducts
November 08, 2020 06:46PM
And cut the price in half.
November 08, 2020 08:34PM
Price is obviously something that many people didn’t have an issue with, if it did everything they expected it to. It’s still in the lineup, still relevant and still fetches 1200$+. I bought mine for 1800$ brand new so the “2,499$” MSRP is a bit of nonsense. But it has a lot of stuff. It’s expensive. Why charge less if you can pull the unit volume with a higher price? Not everyone can afford a Cadillac , or want one. But to say the CTX is simply overpriced and “not worth it” in some way....well, to me, there’s just something else going on.
November 08, 2020 11:00PM
Even if the Equinox and the 3030 retailed for the same price, I would still choose the Equinox for its performance, lightness, and simplicity. I can't think of anything on the 3030 that I would like to see added to the Equinox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2020 11:01PM by Badger in NH.
November 09, 2020 12:54PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even if the Equinox and the 3030 retailed for the
> same price, I would still choose the Equinox for i
> ts performance, lightness, and simplicity. I can't
> think of anything on the 3030 that I would like to
> see added to the Equinox.

And that is exactly the “something else going on”...the Equinox does just what you want it to and nothing else within the scope of “features” is needed. In the whole time that Minelab was scrambling to get the Equinox tuned up and ready to take over everything, they couldn’t add a CLOCK?? Oddly enough, that’s one of 3 factors that led me to sell my 800. Go figure...
November 09, 2020 02:08PM
For me, I am only a beach hunter. Started off mostly in the dry / wet sand, but now I find myself mostly hunting in waist to chest deep water on the East coast of Florida. I have drowned 2 Equinox 800's so far. I have a Tesoro Sand Shark which performs beautifully in the water, but it cant see the smaller gold that the Equinox can. I have also found certain beaches with heavy mineralization / black sand that the Equinox just cant deal with - causing the 800 to go into beach overload while in Beach 2 mode. This is where my Sand Shark shines, no issues at all with the black sand. I just want a better water machine, but not sure I want another PI machine. Was thinking about an Excalibur 2 or the CTX 3030. The weight or cost of the 3030 doesnt bother me - my Sand Shark is actually heavier. I just find the Equinox to be too chatty in the water, which is why I am leaning more towards getting a CTX.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2020 03:27PM by kwalenciak.
November 10, 2020 02:02PM
My buddy has one coming on Wednesday...Big boy hobbies....The 800 can pull low conductors better than 3030...Way cleaner sounds on 3030..For deep Silver for me the 800..is hard to tell..I like the E-trac the most..have all three..for silver .......I have seen guys that can use the Explorer Se
.....pull silver from crazy depths
November 12, 2020 12:22PM
mascard1 Wrote:
> My buddy has one coming on Wednesday...Big boy hob
> bies....The 800 can pull low conductors better tha
> n 3030...Way cleaner sounds on 3030..For deep Silv
> er for me the 800..is hard to tell..I like the E-t
> rac the most..have all three..for silver .......I
> have seen guys that can use the Explorer Se
> .....pull silver from crazy depths

So true Mascard,

Some Explorer users with an SE can get crazy depths, it's the deepest FBS ive ever owned. Sold my 3030, kept the SE for serious park silver.

Every once in a while read negative reviews with the Explorer SE, that it's not as deep as other FBS. My experience with the SE are opposite, it's a nice running FBS model that can operate at very high sensitivity levels in junky areas.

Paul
November 12, 2020 01:03PM
Apolonio (CA) Wrote:

> Every once in a while read negative reviews w
> ith the Explorer SE, that it's not as deep as othe
> r FBS. My experience with the SE are opposite, it
> 's a nice running FBS model that can operate at ve
> ry high sensitivity levels in junky areas.
>
> Paul

The original SE had a crappy coil and the depth wasn't that great. When I upgraded mine to the Pro coil, it made a huge difference in the performance. I kind of wish I didn't sell it but those Explorers were just too heavy for my liking.