Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The T2 and 3rd party big coils

Posted by Soky72 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The T2 and 3rd party big coils
December 19, 2020 05:08PM
Anybody run a T2 with a large aftermarket coil? Any recommendations? I hunt mostly open fields and mostly Civil War relics. I'm not looking to replace the Nox, Deus, or GPX but so far I'm really impressed with the T2 LTD with the stock coil and of course the balance and simplicity is unbeatable. Id like to get a little more depth but I also understand I'll lose some of that balance with the heavier large coils.
Re: The T2 and 3rd party big coils
December 19, 2020 06:24PM
I personally don't have any experience with this coil--but--I have heard the NEL "Super Fly" (11X12") coil does really well on the T2.---It weighs 14.8 oz. without coil cover so it would be lighter (and larger) than the T2 stock coil & should get better depth also.---Soky72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anybody run a T2 with a large aftermarket coil? An
> y recommendations? I hunt mostly open fields and m
> ostly Civil War relics. I'm not looking to replace
> the Nox, Deus, or GPX but so far I'm really impres
> sed with the T2 LTD with the stock coil and of cou
> rse the balance and simplicity is unbeatable. Id l
> ike to get a little more depth but I also understa
> nd I'll lose some of that balance with the heavier
> large coils.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2020 06:26PM by D&P-OR.
December 19, 2020 06:59PM
The 12" x 15" SEF is the coil that I use 90% of the time on my T2 SE. It gets fantastic depth and is a pleasure to swing for its size.

I bought the NEL 15" x 15" Attack and 14.5" x 10'5 Thunder for my F-75 and I don't like them at all. Compared to the SEF, they feel heavy and unbalanced.

The stock coil on the T2's have very poor performance IMO. Switching to a SEF will make a big difference. The depth I get with the 12" x 15" on my T2 SE is comparable to what the Equinox can achieve with its 12" x 15".

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2020 07:48PM by Badger in NH.
December 19, 2020 07:43PM
My vote would also go for the SEF 15x12 coil,for its size it not only covers alot of ground but also much deeper than the stock coil.The SEF coil also has very good pinpointing and for its size is considered light in my mind.

I can also swing it all day long and very good on small finds as well,have found cut halves with mine which is pretty rare for such a largish coil,its 100 times better than the monstrous 15'' boat anchor that the factory sold or cannot sell those are the biggest white elephant coils that any factory has sold.
December 19, 2020 08:12PM
How’s the SEF 15x12 on Target ID Numbers .....As the T2 has issues with some Coils on poor Target ID Numbers
December 19, 2020 08:27PM
Rob in (ca) Wrote:
> How’s the SEF 15x12 on Target ID Numbers .....As t
> he T2 has issues with some Coils on poor Target ID
> Numbers
As i mainly only ever go by audio not only on the T2 but other detectors as well,when using the SEF15x12 on the T2 mainly use 2 tones and if it gives me a decent signal which is 40 or above then irrespective of what the TID it has to come out,here in the UK i never ever reply on TID as our gold/silver coins and artefacts can vary by a massive amounts.Of course also when using a larger coil for deeper targets you then start getting to depth that the return signal to the coil may not be strong enough to even trigger a TID on the screen but more than often is still strong enough to trigger the audio circuit and even then if the target is that deep it cannot trigger either the TID or audio circuit you still have the audio threshold hum which albeit cannot tell if its a desirable target or not but at least it will indicate a target is deep and those are usually the desirable targets........the exact same method is used when using AM mode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2020 08:58PM by Junk and Disorderly.
December 19, 2020 08:53PM
I use mostly tones on deep targets as well because the depth of the T2 can easily exceed the ability of the detector to numerically ID a target on the screen.

Deep non-ferrous targets will often be mixed with low tones. This can be frustrating because iron targets are often mixed with high tones. With practice, it is possible to identify extremely deep non-ferrous targets by tone most of the time. I still dig my share of nails but I can usually tell if a target is non-ferrous by the way the tones interact.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2020 10:10PM by Badger in NH.
December 20, 2020 12:09AM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> I use mostly tones on deep targets as well because
> the depth of the T2 can easily exceed the ability
> of the detector to numerically ID a target on the
> screen.
>
> Deep non-ferrous targets will often be mixed with
> low tones. This can be frustrating because iron ta
> rgets are often mixed with high tones. With practi
> ce, it is possible to identify extremely deep non-
> ferrous targets by tone most of the time. I still
> dig my share of nails but I can usually tell if a
> target is non-ferrous by the way the tones interac
> t.

I would also add that if you have an iron tone but no numerical ID you should dig it.