Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

TOM in Cali Deus advice

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: TOM in Cali Deus advice
December 30, 2020 11:12PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> ....
> >
> > Here’s one.
> > Bottle Cap Identification.
> > [m.youtube.com]
>
>
> thanx ! A picture is worth a thousand words. Th
> at was helpful to understand what you meant. I th
> ink I thought you were merely talking about going
> different angles of sweep. But now I see what yo
> u were talking about. Ok.
>
> Now the million dollar question is : If that fell
> ow had done THE SAME TEST, with a coin under a nai
> l, I wonder if he might ALSO have missed the coin
> ? Mind you, we're talking about a coin that is i
> ndeed registering (overcoming the masking). Yet,
> of course, since it's battling the nail, it won't
> be a "clean" signal. Might it also mimic the re
> sult the fellow got, when showing how to reject th
> e bottle cap ? I'll do some field testing and ge
> t back to you !
>
> Thanx TN-sharpshooter ! You are an asset to the
> md'ing community. And I will name my next gold c
> oin after you smiling smiley

You can name the coin after me only if you locate with Deus.
You want to keep up with Cal Cobra? Hint: With current offerings. Go Deus or EQX 800.
Or you could hold out and gamble on the next Minelab Flagship.
Wonder what it will have to offer performance wise? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2020 11:22PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 30, 2020 11:25PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> ....
> [m.youtube.com]

Well well well, Listen closely to what the fellow says between 9:25 to 9:45 in that video. He acknowledges THE VERY ISSUE that I'm grappling with :

That after all is said and done (the "tricks" that we can all agree to), that the moment someone goes to implement them (to pass the type of cr#p I showed in my picture), then presto , he says: There's "no reason that it can't be ferrous next to non-ferrous". By his own admission. And notice that's true EVEN AFTER 500 targets and years of practice. No added amount of time of experience/training/tricks changes this ?

The Bandito was less prone to this weakness. I didn't dig the amount of iron with that (or .... I should say perhaps.... that it was MUCH more tell-tale). But the downside of the Bandito is that it had very poor depth, poor performance in mineralized ground, lacked bells-&-whistles, etc.... So, for example, I used the Bandito before, in last night's site, on a prior hunt earlier this year. And it didn't do well in the soil there. Thus there is definite merit to the versatility of the Deus, for sure. I just have to study and practice more, to see if I can cut down on the flat sheet iron/tin, w/o risking the VERY PURPOSE of the machine, in the first place : To aid in iron-masking situations.
December 30, 2020 11:39PM
I added my comment / question to his video, in the comment's section. We'll see if he responds.
December 31, 2020 02:44AM
1 .The Devil is in the details...You dont understand the audio of the Deus Tom.YET. Put your audio response on 3 this will help as it will add more nuance to the audio. Size shape etc...you have it set to high for what your trying to do.

2 You are worried about the wrong thing...LEARN TO WALK before you try to run...Your all of a sudden worried about what your not digging and leaving behind. HMMmm you been leaving stuff behind for years with that Explorer..

3. If and it is a big if for some as I have seen many turn back at this point...They cannot get a grasp on the nuanced audio ...

4.Learn it and retire the Explorer for relics...

5 . THE TRICK is this learn the audio...can I tell a masked target a high percentage over a piece of iron? You can bet the farm on it my friend....If you stick with it you will be able to also...Can I tell a good target from junk a high percentage of the time by audio alone ? You bet your bottom dollar I can..

6. like I said before you need hundreds of hrs on the unit....All of us who have mastered the Deus have went thur the same agony of learning it...

Change your audio response down to 3.

BTW go back to the sites WHERE you found the gold coins with the Deus after you learn it. I bet it will be a eye opening life changing come to Jesus experience...

You asked this question..(No added amount of time of experience/training/tricks changes this ?)

Yes training will help ... There are different levels of the Deus nuances...

I only use Pitch tones set to 603 to hunt relics...That is a real different audio but deadly to pull masked targets from iron..

Keep at it!
December 31, 2020 08:25PM
calabash digger Wrote:

> ".... Put your audio response on 3 this will help as it will add more nuance to the audio. Size shape etc...you have it set to high for what your trying to do....."

Tried it just now, in air-tests, at 3 vs 5. And EITHER way (either setting) , yes, I can hear the nuances of sounds of the cr#p in my pix. Ie.: they pass the test of audio-changing when you pull back, to the point where the target is now at the perimeter of the coil. I will certainly try the setting of 3, in the field. But if this is an added tip to "tell iron apart from conductors", then , again: I can already do this. So the "devil" is not to tell flat tin apart from conductors , I can already do that via audio. The devil in the details is: Do the coins-under-nails ALSO sound the same, with those tips/tricks ? sad smiley

calabash digger Wrote:

> ...LEARN TO WALK before you try to run...Your all of a sudden worried about what your not digging and leaving behind. HMMmm you been leaving stuff behind for years with that Explorer.....
>

Oh wow, then ... wait, what about the dude's video, linked above ? Where he distinctly says that these iron signals (after the tricks we can all agree to) could ... " ....maybe be ferrous mixed with non ferrous." Are you saying that he's mistaken ? That if he "spends years" and "digs 500 more targets", that he'll abandon this notion ? Listen again @ 9:25 to 9:45 . Do you agree or not agree at that point ? THAT is my angst.

calabash digger Wrote:

> .... go back to the sites WHERE you found the gold coins with the Deus after you learn it. I bet it will be a eye opening life changing come to Jesus experience...
>

I took a loaner Deus to a HAMMERED iron zone, where reales and super early seated were hoover-vacc'd out a decade + ago. And yes, was SO happy with that, that I rushed out and bought my own. HOWEVER, that site ceased all human influence by 1860-ish. Hence pre-dated flat tin, crown-caps, etc.... Oh sure, some larger cast-iron, but the ratios were not punishing. Perhaps 1/3 or 1/2, etc... Then .... silly me .... took it to a ghost town that ceased human usage by 1930-ish . And all of the sudden it was 15 to 1 sad smiley

I grant you that the "tricks" will reveal those domino sized flat tin, and crown caps. Sure ! But the million dollar questions are: 1) Gee, if I'm waiting for a clean-line of sight to the target, then ... heck, the Exp. can likewise get a clean read on an un-obstructed conductor as well. 2) Does using the tricks mean I will miss the fabled "coin under the nail" ? The dude in the video seems to say this sad smiley If so, then the "cat's meow" fabled purpose of the Deus seems to be tossed out sad smiley

I also grant you that this is ONLY an "angst" worry for "coins under nails". That would be a function of "averaging". But if the coin is *slightly beside* next to a nail (such that there's a "peek" at it), then the issue becomes "separation". And in that case, sure, this will be better at separation than the Explorer. So my question is about averaging, not separation.
December 31, 2020 11:44PM
Tom,
One can try and pick the Deus apart.

But if one is in a site with previous good history of nicer finds using Deus.
Good things could be found using Deus.
You dig what you want to dig audio wise.
You don’t have to dig all.
Could you leave a nice find behind by not digging a less than stellar signal? Yep. You can do this with all detectors though.
You could keep using your explorer in the same sites.
If already hit hard with explorer though, I would use something else.
There is no perfect detector. Won’t ever be imo.
You pick your poison and go detecting.
Deus does give advantage on some detecting scenarios, this I KNOW. But remember the find lurking must meet certain criteria for it to have not been located previously.
So don’t expect one’s find pouch to be runneth over necessarily. But one can be surprised at how much nonferrous an explorer will leave behind in a site that has been explorer pounded.

When do I consider a Deus user (dangerous) when in a site?
When they haven’t found anything. Then they start pushing unit, and alas a nice find is found.
YES some of the signals gotten with Deus (borderline sounding) can indeed be a nice finder any nonferrous object really.

When I took my Deus to sites.
The way I approached was, I really didn’t care who had previously detected because I knew odds if they had a Deus previously in there were extremely low to nonexistent. This thinking increased my positive attitude. And yes the nonferrous would start being dug.

I hunted a CW site around 25-30 miles from me. This site had been pounded for at least 30 years. I personally talked to one of the folks who detected. A very experienced detectorist who had been detecting since ‘75. He told me what he and his friends had run detector wise in this site over the years. Last modern era VLFs ran in site was Minelab se Pro and Fisher F75- original units with boost.
I hunted this site some.
Pulled over 100 nonferrous finds.
I went back and talked to the gent who I talked to about the site.
He couldn’t believe how much I found.
Did I find any earth shattering finds? Nope.
But bullets, buttons, parts of bullets, parts of buttons, Knapp sack hooks, etc.
I only used LF coils in the site. Hf coils not released yet.

Cheers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 11:48PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 01, 2021 12:00AM
Alright.
Which detector is better at mapping a site.
Deus or any fbs detector unit?

I say Deus is.
Why?

The way a person detecting manages their time is very important.
What am I talking about?
A detectorist needs to have their coil more of the time over ground scenario that is actually detectable.
Deus is good at this.

Deus will let a person know quick where the bigger iron is. Deus user can move on and get their coil in areas where the Deus has a chance to detect nonferous.

Explorer unit, yes even the Etrac one must listen for threshold to drop out. Only problem here is they have to keep moving their coil until threshold drops back in. Harder imo to monitor threshold in fbs unit vs how the Deus sounds off tonally on bigger iron.
Threshold drops out on using explorer on a nail. Deus won’t.
It is possible to get wrap signal on some bigger iron with fbs unit but not a guarantee. You hit big iron with Deus super duper high chance you’ll hear big time.

So Tom something else here for you to ponder.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 12:03AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 01, 2021 12:23AM
thanx TN-sharp-shooter !
January 01, 2021 01:55PM
Lower you audio response to 3...
That guy you are talking about in the video made this for me...He is a very good with the Deus...
[i.postimg.cc]

I agree 1930s sites are harder to dig but as I see it you only have two choices...Explorer or learn it .. actually 3...buy another Equinox.

Lower your audio response to 3...very important detail for the 1930s sites.
January 01, 2021 02:50PM
I am uploading a video on the audio response setting...