Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ3D nickel test ? for Tom

Posted by Frank in NH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ3D nickel test ? for Tom
July 22, 2011 04:32PM
Testing nickels new one, war nickel, V nickel and a dirty Jefferson in enhenced mode. The new one and war nickel read as round pulltab the others read correctly as high tone also my indian heads read high tone. Put it in salt mode new nickel and war nickel read high tone. ? is this normal for a CZ3D? All other test perform like they should. Thanks
Re: CZ3D nickel test ? for Tom
July 24, 2011 01:00PM
Composition (or.....should I say 'batch consistency) of silver WWII nickels were poor. I have war nickels that range in conductivity from: foil, nickel, round tab, square tab and zinc penny. They are never to be used as a calibration-standard....due to this exact reason.

The rest of your detector nickel window seems to be correct. The best test (without my CZ-3D standardized calibration target) is to take about 100 new nickels.......and see to it that approx 20% - 35% of them ID as 'round-tab'.............and the rest of them as 'nickel'.

Remember..........the tones are 'master'.........and the meter is 'slave'. The meter will always parallel the tone (and not the other way around).
July 24, 2011 07:44PM
Tom do not know if this tells us anything, i took 100 circulated nickels undug for test.
47 came in high tone in enhenced mode, the rest pulltab. But i am sure my dirty nickels and dug nickels would come in as high tone in enhenced mode.
All 100 came in as high tone in salt mode. So this seems to show me how the enhenced mode works and where it should be used.
July 25, 2011 01:19AM
Frank,

Sounds like your unit is VERY slightly out-of-cal.............BUT............if you are digging a lot of older generation nickels.......I would probably leave the unit alone!
July 25, 2011 01:33AM
Thanks Tom
July 25, 2011 03:26AM
One note about nickels, undug nickels have that shine and they tend to read a little higher.
I always made it a point to use dug nickels for testing....you know the ones tarnished...that will give you
the best idea about what to expect while actual detecting.