Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Keeping a "Freshly Tuned" CZ3D,,,,fresh,,,

Posted by wurthless 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Keeping a "Freshly Tuned" CZ3D,,,,fresh,,,
July 23, 2011 03:48AM
Will be using a CZ3D just back from Tommy D. He says it will hit a clad dime at 12.5 inches,,,hehehehe can't wait to get my coil back to hunt !!!! Question is,,, how do I KEEP this baby in tune? What makes them go OUT of tune? Or is it just something we have to live with knowing things will not stay as they are for ever? I already treat my MD pretty well and nevr leave them in the heat or hot trunk... I do hunt in the rain but keep the unit dry. I store them inside out of high humidity. Any other sugestions to keep this detector in it's surgical state ??? Thanks
Re: Keeping a "Freshly Tuned" CZ3D,,,,fresh,,,
July 23, 2011 06:51PM
I was wondering that myself. Just out of curiousity is yours a newer one or a 1021,1121, los banos machine? I just sent mine in to Tom it is a newer machine.
July 23, 2011 09:02PM
he will get it working right,,, I have read here about a user that has a 1021 and a new one,,,, sent both to Tomas D and they both work the same now,,,,, mine is an older 1021,,, and I am waiting for my coil to be reparied at Fisher,,,,it's getting painfull to wait !!!!
July 24, 2011 02:01PM
Hi,, It sounds like you are already doing the proper things to keep your 3D in tune....Don't throw it in the trunk and drive down a road so bumpy that your front teeth fall out....Your 3D should stay in tune just fine...."What makes them go OUT of tune?" The main reason a 3D is out of tune is it was probably not set up right fresh from the factory....Fluctuating or drifting of electronic components (changing values)can cause an out of tune condition in a 3D also....Nothing last forever but your surgical state should last a long time.....Good luck and HH....JJ
July 25, 2011 01:59PM
thanks !! that's what I was hopeing to hear,,,, HH
July 26, 2011 12:53AM
I'm certain the older 1021 series CZ's hardly ever electronically 'drift'. I'm uncertain if the newer ones will 'drift'. It is possible; yet, I doubt they will drift.
July 26, 2011 01:39AM
Get ready wurthless, you're in for the ride of your life with that CZ winking smiley I too have a CZ-3D that was tuned by the maestro himself - Mr. Tommy (NASA) Dankowski. It is also a (1021) model. No exaggeration, it has aided in my best detecting year since getting into the hobby. Since the start of the year I've found (2) seated dimes, (2) half reales, (2) barber quarters, a standing liberty quarter, countless barber & merc dimes, V nickles galore, a large cent, too many indians to list, wheaties by the truckload & etc., etc., etc.

I too tend to baby my detectors, but, in all honesty, the CZ line are built like tanks winking smiley As long as you wipe it down every once in a while, keep the control box from getting saturated with dirt or water & be mindful not to have it get harshly knocked around, it should be in top shape for a long time to come smiling smiley

Funny that I should read this post tonight as I recently noticed the knobs becoming loose on my CZ. So I called Fisher this evening and spoke to one of the techs. He in turn went straight to the lady responsible for the knobs (no joke - that's what he told me) & she told him I needed to purchase a 1/16th allen key to tighten them. After going out and buying the appropriate allen key, I put it in the knob and noticed that the knob itself wasn't loose, but, rather the SHAFT that the knob is on. So, my buddy told me to take the knob completely off & there should be a screw underneath that I need to tighten. I did and the entire problem was solved. Thanks Fisher & Glenn! Now I have nice tight, perky knobs...just the way I like'm, lol.

The CZ-3D is an AMAZING piece of machinery. Especially the 1021 models that are calibrated by Tom smiling smiley It's simple to use, deeper than pretty much anything else out there & hits HARD on silver.

Enjoy your new toy smiling smiley

P.S. - I purchased a really nice cover on ebay that someone specially designs for the CZ-3D's, but, I don't like it too much. Instead, I use a plain old women's shower cap which I place directly over the control box when it's raining. Does the job PERFECT. You can pick up the shower caps in most 99 cent stores.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 01:40AM by njnydigger.
July 26, 2011 04:35PM
Hi,, Hey Tom and others I'm not talking about frequency drift....I believe either a new or older 3D would and does maintain it's frequency because of the use of the integrated circuity etc.....But the electrolytic or tantalum capacitors and resistors leading to or from the variable capacitors or variable potentiometers could cause a misalignment....It's a quite common occurrence for electrolytic capacitors etc. in radio circuitry (if,rf) and power supplies to dry up and go bad causing problems...Over the years I have had to realign many,many radios etc. due to faulty components and excessive vibration....The older 3D's used tighter tolerances when it comes to the use components...(2%,5%..Vs..10% etc.)....The end result was a more stable consistent batch of 3D's not to mention the use of better made components and a lot better quality control.....This is just my opinion not fact because I don't work at nor have I worked at the Fisher factory....JJ
July 27, 2011 02:33AM
so much good info and helpful people here THANKS ALL!!!!!,,, Fisher called today and it will take about 55 bucks to get my coil back to 100%,,,,,then it's GAME ON,,,, prolly not in time for the week end thou,,,,poop
Thanks for the shower cap idea, you got me pumped up with all the positive things you said about the 3D,,,soundl like it has treated you very well,,,
TOM thanks for info,,,,,,,,,,,,,
July 27, 2011 11:49AM
jimmyjiver..............I have a 20-year old CZ-6a..........and it has drifted 0%. I have watched this closely. I cannot quite 'speak' on the newer ones; yet, I surmise they may not drift also.
July 27, 2011 01:22PM
Hi,.,Thanks for the info that's good to know that my 3D's electronic's are rock solid and will probably never need a recalibration....JJ
July 27, 2011 06:58PM
If you own a black car......and constantly keep your electronics in the trunk for years.................you (might) have 'some' concern. Otherwise....... no concern.