Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Predator Tools shovel Handle question

Posted by GreenMeanie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Predator Tools shovel Handle question
March 14, 2021 07:32PM
Are the handles hollow or solid on them?
I have one I wouldn't mind extending the handle on as my back gets older.
Or if someone has extended one I am open for ideas on how you did it.
Re: Predator Tools shovel Handle question
March 14, 2021 11:55PM
I will just sell the one I have and try to find a longer one.
March 15, 2021 02:16AM
Get rid of that heavy metal Predator and go get an Ame's floral shovel. They weigh only 2.5 lbs and the best part is, only $15 at Home Depot. I hate bending when I dig and have been using these for over a decade. I've never broken one but I have lost a couple. It's always a good idea to keep a spare on hand.

[www.ames.com]
March 15, 2021 05:49AM
31" t-handle "sampson" lesche quality, and digs a ''sweet, deep, neat" plug.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 15, 2021 09:31AM
I also have an Ames floral shovel. It came with th very long handle, What I did was cut it to length that suited me and added a D handle. I use different shovels for certain places because the soil in some is rocky. The rocky soils I take a Predator.

I have another shovel I fabricated from a old square mouth shovel. I cut it into my preferred shape, sharpened it. I'm liking this shovel with my MDT & 12" coil because it takes out a deep plug.
March 15, 2021 12:22PM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also have an Ames floral shovel. It came with th
> very long handle, What I did was cut it to length
> that suited me and added a D handle.

I cut my Ame's too. The way I decide the length is to stand with my elbow bent at 90 degrees and cut the handle just above my fist. I'm 6' tall and I cut mine to 45 inches. That is the perfect length for me to dig without bending. It's so light that I usually carry the Equinox and the shovel in the same hand on long hikes. It's also the perfect length to use as a walking stick when you need one.

My hunting buddy uses the Radius Floral Shovel. It's a little more expensive and a half pound heavier than the Ame's. That's a nice shovel as well. [radiusgarden.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2021 12:48PM by Badger in NH.
March 15, 2021 12:32PM
I also use my "sampson" as a walking stick ."doubles the value!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.