Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Buried treasure, almost smiling smiley

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Buried treasure, almost smiling smiley
May 24, 2021 12:23AM
I haven't been able to hunt for 6-8 weeks due to moving and working 6 days a week. Well, today was no different, still working on getting settled and getting the place cleaned up. Today's task was demolishing an old out building that was used to raise quail.
After removing the roof and all the siding, it was time to take up the plywood from the floor. One corner had pieces of plywood already loose and rotten. Under the plywood there was dirt between the joists, I stepped on the dirt in the one corner and it caved in about 5-6 inches. My wife and I thought the plywood had rotted and was covered by the dirt because the dirt moved in all directions when you pushed on the dirt.

I didn't give it much thought and continued to rip up the rest of the floor. I went back the spot where I had sunk in and was going to dig out what I thought was some of the flooring.
Here's where the fun started. I started wiping the dirt back and saw the edge of a piece of metal. I thought, ducting, or he had reinforced that corner for some reason. I took my prybar and starting to dig whatever this was out of the dirt.
Within a minute I realized I was digging up an aluminum box because the first thing I saw was a handle. I'm getting real excited now, I'm thinking it was loaded with cash. Get it out and have to force the lid up because I had smashed it down when I stepped on it. I open it and .....empty, damn it!! I called the wife over to take a look, the bottom is cover in dirt and mud and she see's a round thing and say's" hey it's coin.

It was stuck to the bottom and dirty, as soon as I got it loose, I saw it was silver!!! Happy days, haven't seen a silver coin in a long time. I start moving the muck around and find another and another, holy moly, multiple silver day baby!!
I take it over to the faucet and start cleaning it out and there's more coins stuck to the bottom. I'm on cloud nine right now, but, I sure was hoping to see some gold!!! After cleaning the box, I found 15 silver coins total, not a bad day in my book. Nothing old, but, silver is silver.
I've read story's like this and always wanted to find a stash.

It's not a hoard, but, it sure was exciting. I'm keeping the box as a souvenir. The building was visible from all the windows on the back of the house, just like Karl Von Mueller wrote about. The guy that we bought the house from is a prepper. What's crazy is trying to imagine how much was in there before they"cleaned" it out. The box is 15"x24"x10" ...The funny thing is, at closing, I asked the guy if I should be on the lookout for buried gold.....him and his wife just smiled at my wife and I lol!!

Re: Buried treasure, almost smiling smiley
May 24, 2021 12:35AM
pretty awesome, anyways !! you better get that detector all around the area, sir.
May 24, 2021 10:15AM
Way cool! Good story. I thought the same as Rod, detect the area.
May 25, 2021 07:17AM
I would check around anything else on the property that could be considered a landmark, big trees, tree stumps, big rocks, if the guy buried one box there could be others. Great find!