Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Faking finds?

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Faking finds?
August 08, 2021 04:27PM
Is this the latest craze, buy off Ebay and pretend you dug it LOL?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2021 04:29PM by ghound.
Re: Faking finds?
August 08, 2021 05:16PM
Faking finds.... its really not a new trend. It's been going on, I've seen it quite often on eBay over the years.
Sometimes when you quiz the seller, they clearly are not a TH'er and most likely have never had a detector in their hands.

Another ebay seller trend used to be " I have no idea what its worth, you be the judge, take it before we all wake up from this dream"

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
August 08, 2021 07:05PM
This is why all my videos show live digs. I will not watch anyone's video that show a target already dug. Here is a statement I've heard time and time again on videos. "I didn't get this one on video. It had a sweet tone. The numbers were perfect. I knew it was gonna be good!" LOL. If you're not going to film this target then what are you doing making videos? Now, I have dug great finds that I didn't film. But I will not put those on video after the fact. I just kick myself in the butt not filming it. But these are usually crappy signals that turn out great. Not great signals I conveniently didn't film.....

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
August 08, 2021 10:35PM
Human nature. Sad in a way. Best thing in my opinion is to ignore those that do it.
August 09, 2021 01:57AM
Not here, but you can spot the liars pretty regularly on detecting forums. It seems especially tempting to newer detectorists ime.
August 09, 2021 02:25AM
khouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is why all my videos show live digs.

I love live-dig videos. It captures "the moment". The zeal and passion of the hunt, etc..... Got a go-pro camera ball-cap mount for this purpose. And yes, it would also dispel any notion of faked. Crazy that anyone would do that. What satisfaction would they get, for a high-five atteboy, that , deep-down, they know they didn't find/deserve ? Very strange.
August 09, 2021 08:55AM
I know a few .... lier lier pants on fire guys. We likely all know some we have doubts about. Recognition .... is a powerful word now days with all the u-tubers they even try to friend you just to increase their INFLUENCE status. Some just like to brag plain and simple. Most of us who really have to grind it out know whats possible in our area and become a little skeptical of newbies suddenly appearing doing the impossible. Then you have the other side of the coin..... HATERS. They exsist as well. Social media plays a big part now days in selling half truths.
August 09, 2021 09:48AM
Who even cares. There are enough good and honest digs on film that it doesn't matter if there a few cheats out there. Not only that, I have plenty of awesome finds, myself, I don't need to watch vids of other folks finding goodies. It's all in how you look at it. The cheats are not doing their souls any favors, they may as well piss on themselves.
August 09, 2021 01:13PM
People will do whatever it takes to draw in as many viewers as possible. YouTube pays good money and many make a decent living from their channels. Aquachigger, Hoover Boys, and countless others have been very successful which tempts people to start their own channel.

Aquachigger has a YouTube net worth of $151,000. You can check YouTube channel stats at statsmash.com. [statsmash.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2021 07:32PM by Badger in NH.
August 09, 2021 03:58PM
I think the "look what I found" video's are boring, when I first started my channel I did it that way, now I do nothing but live digs, I think a lot of people want to see what the detector you are using looks and sounds like when it hits a good target plus it gives the viewer that litle bit of suspense of " oh what is that going to be". it just makes your video's a lot more interesting to watch. I don't watch the "look what I found video's" anymore either.
August 09, 2021 04:44PM
Live digs mean nothing. There are lots of ways to plant targets and leave no trace. If you're not in a hurry, you could even let them sit in the ground for a few months.

What I can't stand are the jackasses who go nuts every time they make a good find. Bill Ladd is one of the worst. The finds might be real but his reaction is totally fake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2021 05:03PM by Badger in NH.
August 09, 2021 05:19PM
Never understood the "Fakers"?!!?!
August 10, 2021 01:09PM
Nope, it's nothing new. And just because it's on video, doesn't make it true either. I've recently gotten into native american artifact collecting and that's one of the first things they told me about...watch out for fakes, and don't believe videos either. Someone in the collecting community had recently gotten duped by a video that was suppose to be showing a cache of very high end and high quality pieces being dug. They hit the market and some unfortunate person bought into it and paid several thousand dollars a piece, for the cache pieces. All ended up being very well made modern pieces. In that case, the fakes WERE really well made but believe me when I say, the forums and social media pages are FULL of people with BAD and very obvious modern pieces, trying to pass them off as recent finds to their area. The great thing about the native american groups is, those guys know their stuff and will eat these fakers alive. Especially the hardcore hunters of areas, who know the materials for the area.

A few years ago at the DIV hunt, a fella had a great hunt...he found a few plates and was showing them off as such. The problem was...those hunts are held in Culpeper county, VA and that particular soil produces a very recognizable patina on brass/copper items. His plates did not have that patina at all and to anybody who had been associated with the hunts...the finds were immediately questionable. When the hunt was over, the guy then proceeds to post them on the internet as his finds. The only problem with that was...he had bought them off eBay prior to the hunt, brought them to the hunt, and then tried to say he found them. The seller of them from eBay was a DIV hunter and member, and saw the post...he then posted screen shots of the eBay history of when they were listed/sold, who bought them, and pictures of those same plates. That guy is one of the few people to ever get "banned" from any future hunts. I don't understand people like that; those few "congrats" he got at the hunt, couldn't have been worth ruining your reputation and getting to go to any future hunts.

There's a local guy that tried going big on YouTube but the need for constantly new and better content led him down a dark path. He started sneaking around and hunting on property I know for a fact he didn't have permission to be on. I recognized where he was in one of the videos and I knew the landowner didn't allow any body to hunt it except for me. I showed the video to the landowner and he was furious that somebody had snuck in on him. I hope he gets caught and goes down hard. I don't follow him on YouTube any more because I don't want to contribute to his channel views.
August 11, 2021 11:22AM
Hi i m sure lots of youtuber and other instagramer do it.Those in the business for a long time know its hard to find a good find every year ,some newbies dont .......

RR
September 06, 2021 08:17PM
Sad…..If UTube pulled all Videos off the air unless they were live digs ……about 98% of the detecting videos would be gone
September 07, 2021 09:38AM
Rob in (ca) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sad…..If UTube pulled all Videos off the air unles
> s they were live digs ……about 98% of the detectin
> g videos would be gone

Live digs are boring and waste everyone's time. It's better when they turn the camera off while they dig the target, then turn it back on once it's out of the hole. That's the way I would do it.
September 07, 2021 10:21AM
mine don't come out that good even after I clean them
September 09, 2021 02:51AM
I don't mind a live dig video if there is something to learn from it. Not interested in watching someone searching around in the dirt for a pull-tab. Those that show the detector's displayed visual and audio data and then call/guess the depth/object and then skip to the reveal, are most beneficial. The other fail is to take two detectors to test supposedly side-by-side but instead of trying each over the unknown target, they use the two detectors on independent targets without cross-checking. Counting how many good targets each retrieved is not a side-by-side comparison and is useless. Of course, the subject park, field, beach, homestead, etc. is declared to be "hunted out" but amazingly some targets are found proving the detector's worth. It is harder to make an informative video, which is why there are so few of them.
September 21, 2021 03:09AM
As if live digs cannot be faked ?

Went through a spell couple years back watching md videos, got jaded pretty quickly. Even if legit, not that much fun watching other people find stuff.
September 21, 2021 05:16PM
I would rather watch them dig then listen to them sweep the target 45 times. I really don't like and will not watch a target that was just buried video.

Faking finds? If you are that desperate to impress people then more power to you.

I have my favorite hunters I like to watch. I have learned quite a bit from Aquachigger over the years. Most of it not about detectors. The Hoover boys work hard. I appreciate that. Gravedigger Max? Well he is just a likable guy.