Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

gold vs. aluminum

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
gold vs. aluminum
July 31, 2011 08:48PM
OK time to start some more trouble...when is someone going to do something about this? If they did and could spend the money and even had to charge us more think about how many units they would sell world wide?

And what is going to be the next detector? I think it is about time they knock our socks off! And this time we will say "OK not just another redo but a machine that can really look at a target and read it"...I am happy with my machines but I can see no matter how much we spend there is always going to be alot of guess work on our part....So I have to wonder if I would even buy a new machine unless it can really do something that would change the way I hunt...

I have been using my friends V3i and he wants to sell it to me for a real great price...and for now I told him I want to keep testing it but with all it can do with the programing it still is a metal detector that is on par with my G2 or the LTD or T2 LTD. For the most parts all of the fancy screens don't really tell you more then having to dig the target to see what you have...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: gold vs. aluminum
July 31, 2011 11:18PM
LowBoY, I have a better idea, let bring the price of aluminum up to match the gold price, that way we would rid it from the ground and people wouldn't throw it away in small pieces
August 01, 2011 12:47AM
At one time, it was more valuable than gold.
August 01, 2011 01:10AM
I hear people say they "dig everything from just above iron (on disc) and up" and even with thier 1500 dollar machines they are doing the same thing,,,,, so why spend that much if your gonna dig? They chance of missing a good target just because it ID's at a pull tab is enough to make me loose sleep,,,, that's why I'm not sold on the high end machines being wurth it all,,,,,,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 01:10AM by wurthless.
August 01, 2011 02:41AM
I guess all the ID'ing on detectors are good for coin hunters. They may miss some of the older 1800's coins unless they have a CZ3D or something like it, if there "is" something else like it.

I think that for beach hunting and any hunting for jewery and gold, all we need is a detector that will discriminate out iron really well, have great depth and work in saltwater. I guess it would be nice to have 3 tones like the CZ's and some other machines... one for iron, one for coins and one for everything else (gold). If you were looking especially for gold and jewery, you could ignore the low tones and high coin tones and just dig the mid 'everything else" tone.

...wait a minute! That's what we already have, isn't it?

My biggest problem is the low/high tone sounds on my newly aquired 3d. Is it a large piece of metal that the detector is having difficulty deciding what it is? ...is it a coin in close proximity to a piece of trash? ... is it ???? If I'm looking for gold/jewery, I would ignore them as I'm neither looking for iron (low tone) or coins (high tone). But if I'm looking for coins, it's a real bear to decide what to do. Sometimes I'll push the pinpoint button and see if I can "see" two or more items in the ground. If there's only one target, I'll look at the depth meter. If it's less than 7 or 8 inches, I figure the 3d should be able to ID a coin at that depth, thus it's probably a large piece of iron/aluminin can/jar lid that the detector is having trouble ID'ing and go own my merry way. It would be good if we had a detector that could positively ID any and all iron as iron regardless of it's size. If there was an iron tone mixed with a different tone, it should be iron and something else, not the detector having trouble deciding if it's iron or not.

I don't know if we presently have the knowledge to do this or not. Evidently, we don't. Tom has done wonderful work with the CZ3d in having a detector that will now ID older U.S. coins as coins instead of trash. Tom, and I'm sure others, are working on being able to correctly ID gold better. Come to think of it, maybe they're trying to eliminate everything but gold, instead of trying to ID gold, and whatever is left has to be gold. :-) What was it that Holms said... "If you have eliminated everything else, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth (gold)".
August 01, 2011 12:52PM
LowBoY.... what if you got the machine you talked about? Then what if we all bought one? How long would the hobby be fun not finding anything because we picked it clean. I kind of like the verity of machines and the skill it takes to find things others have missed. Would it be fun without some sort of challenge? We already see more so called hunted out parks. If you hunt one of those day in day out and never find anything... its not a lot of fun. BUT... i hate spending my hard earned money like you said on new equipment going to that park and finding out there isnt anything new about it. Now that gold is up ... man you sure hear the screaming about needing a different type machine. I know there doesnt seem to be much of an answer with tech being what it is currently, but you really really have to try and purchase the right machine for the job or you are still paying for that expensive machine because you keep buying... be it new or used.

Dew
August 01, 2011 01:24PM
No perfect detector or for that matter detectorist but some are awful good in many instances as they learn the hobby and unit they are using well.

Lets face it in our lifetime no unit is going to tell trash from a gold ring or have us dig to China as there are limits.

I hope one never comes out as it would take the thrill of the hunt out of the equasion and surely the ground would be cleaned as the first one to run a coil over an area would clean it out and our detectors would become closet queens.

Heck if a bowler threw a 300 game constantly or a baseball player hit the ball out of the park the thrill of the hunt would be gone and same goes for our hobby.

Sure a full pouch is nice but getting there is where the fun comes in and for manufactures to build the next best thing to sliced bread is cost prohibitive or for that matter out of reach to pay for what these units would have to sell for.

Not being negative just calling a spade a spade and we all have opinions which are just that (opinions).
August 01, 2011 01:41PM
We could agree to a compromise. Buy a new detector that has some top secret technology that will do what is asked above , for about 90 days. Then destroy itself & go back to a standard detector. This would give the buyer enough time to make their finds pay for the detector ! LOL
August 01, 2011 01:49PM
Maybe a detector has to be made that will identify a compound via chemical properties instead of electrical properties. How that happens, I have no idea !!! Shoot, all it has to do is identify the element GOLD in the compound. If it's present, dig it up.

Too bad things aren't that simple !!
August 02, 2011 01:04AM
Teach a dog or hog to smell that gold and then recover it.
They use some sort of pig over in UK to detect roots deep in the ground.
Haha, I doubt that could be transferred over for gold hunting....somone needs to think outside
the box for an advancement in this area of metal detecting.
August 02, 2011 01:45AM
First I say no matter how much or how little you spend on a detector if it can't read the target you can't dig it so I am a G2 guy and all the way to up to the LTD..or even a V3i and Etrac. And if we all were hunting gold rings and we had a detector that could find them, that new detector that has a new twist I say "I will see you at my local park and school"...there are enough places to hunt and not enough days to find it all...would love to leave my kids a box of gold rings that they could cash in and I would wish the same for all of you...Gold is gold it would be a new Gold Rush eara..first come first serve...just my thoughts

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 02, 2011 02:06AM
LowBoy, I totally agree and even though I am not a gold jewelry hunter, I have noticed too that even where
I live....if I had a device that could give me an edge in the cyphering alum from gold, I would never run out of places to detect.
Truth is since there are no beaches here, I don't have the patience to dig pulltab after pulltab, foil piece after foil piece
and even worse is that shredded alum cans....you know where the lawn mower strowed everywhere.
There are places here that are blanketed with tabs...acres upon acres.
August 02, 2011 09:15PM
Hey LowBoy - I just noticed this detector on the KellyCo site and watched the beach video.

Looks like amazing technology with 3D imaging.

[www.noktadetectors.com]

Check out their videos too: [www.noktadetectors.com]
August 02, 2011 11:02PM
For everyone's information....... 25.4Cm is 10".

I have a major problem. That sand was powder-dry///bone-dry sand. This is hardly a challenge for any detector.
Only at the end of the video.....was a object placed in the salt water.........and certainly not buried. No 'depth' test data presented.

It appears the test targets demonstrated in the dry sand.......gave similar results to that of a Excal or CZ.

The 10Cm x 10Cm plate simulates a soda can. . . . and can be detected at 50Cm depth. That's not quite 20". Detecting a soda can at 20" is a easy feat for most detectors.

I did not read about the unit; yet, wonder if the unit can give a audible difference between ferrous vs. non-ferrous.
August 02, 2011 11:11PM
Interesting....

The Goldengate Plus 3D detector by Nokta (Turkish) is stated to air detect to the following approx. depths (depth converted from metric):

2 gr gold nugget ................. 7"
0.4" small modern coin ........ 7"
0.8" med modern coin ......... 10"
0.7" bronze coin ................... 11"
13 gr gold nugget ................. 13"
0.8" copper coin ................... 14"
0.9" larger bronze coin ........ 15"
1.0" large modern coin ........ 16"
.91" silver ring (6 gr) ............ 16"
2.6" gold bracelet (11.8 gr) ... 23"

Assume these are max depths (i.e., no discrim, max sens, etc.) under a perfectly controlled environment.
August 03, 2011 03:14AM
Ozzie is quite correct. One of the French kings had their dinnerware made of aluminum.....instead of gold. Greater value and status.
August 03, 2011 07:55PM
wurthless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear people say they "dig everything from just
> above iron (on disc) and up" and even with
> thier 1500 dollar machines they are doing the same
> thing,,,,, so why spend that much if your gonna
> dig? They chance of missing a good target just
> because it ID's at a pull tab is enough to make me
> loose sleep,,,, that's why I'm not sold on the
> high end machines being wurth it all,,,,,,

I just bought a V3i after years of having mostly turn and go detectors (e.g., Nautilus IIB, T2 and Omega 8000). I really only want to have one detector at any one time and I was getting bored with mostly turn and go. I wished my Omega could go a little bit deeper. I wished my T2 would have hit coins harder. I wished my Nautilus had a VDI but loved the stereo mixed mode. Well, now I essentially have all three of those machines rolled into one and A LOT more.

A big part of the hobby is playing with the settings for me. A better day for me is not so much digging more coins, though that is nice but to plain have fun. It's not so much about results only, it's the journey. I like to analyze the soil with the V3i's ground probe. I then bury a coin or find a deeper target and find the best filter, recovery speed, sensitivity, etc. This takes me about 5 minutes. I know I'm set up specifically for that site. When I find a coin that is shallow I have a blast with the analysis functions. When you learn them they are dead on for things less than 6" deep. As far as digging trash, yeah I do but I'm learning the machine. I can tell a bottle cap real easy but still occasionally dig them. Depth is insane with the V3i. My Omega could find silver down to 7"-8". The V3i in my low mineralized soil will go down 12" easy and 14" if the target was quarter sized. You are not going to get the depth of a V3i with a cheaper machine. A T2 ltd I think would be close, but not on deep silver. I'm still learning the machine big time but the ways I can have fun with it are endless. If I want turn and go, I know it well enough to do that. If I want to go into my test garden for 2 hours it's a blast to discover.

I still have my Omega as I really like the unit, but I just love playing with my V3i. That is what it is to my, just playing and having fun. The nice thing is that when and if I move on, I have learned so much about detector dynamics, technology, etc. so it's a fun journey. On a down side, though it is perfectly balanced, it is heavy and so far has caused some problems, but I'll work on it and not swing so fast.

It really is to each his own in a sense.
August 03, 2011 10:51PM
Next time you are in DC, take a look inside the Library of Congress:

"During the renovation of the Jefferson Building in the 1980s, restorers discovered that the metallic ornamentation of the ceiling, once thought to be silver leaf, is actually aluminum leaf. When the building was being constructed during the 1890s, aluminum was more precious than silver."