Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The Great "Coin Cookie" Relic Recovery Experiment - Trash or Treasure??

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The Great "Coin Cookie" Relic Recovery Experiment - Trash or Treasure??
December 23, 2021 11:32PM
One fun element of this hobby that's always been filled with Easter eggs is those bits and bobs you find and chuck in your finds pouch thinking you dug junk. Only to get home and discover while going through your finds that your trash is indeed treasure after further cleaning or whatnot. TomCA and I checked out a site a few days ago and not far from where I dug a beautiful and rare large Phoenix button I dug this "coin cookie" but when I dug it, I figured it was junk. After our hunts when Tom was looking at my finds he noticed a little chip off the side of a "coin cookie" that revealed what looked like a circular edge. Okay now we had to see what was inside!

[youtu.be]
JCR
Re: The Great "Coin Cookie" Relic Recovery Experiment - Trash or Treasure??
December 24, 2021 01:05AM
Very interesting.
Good save.

Chris
December 24, 2021 11:11AM
Good patience along with curiosity. Without those, that P button may be in the trash, well done Cal!.
December 24, 2021 03:49PM
Brian, I was yelling at my computer screen at 8:40. D/t you kept me in suspense for over 2 days waiting for the reveal, haha

Congratz on 3 PB's in a single hunt. You've got your machines dialed in. You also have a 6th sense on where to swing the coil. Ie.: sizing up a site, mentally mapping out historic people-movement, etc....

But don't let these compliments go to your head! I will deny I gave any such compliments. And will dutifully remind you who is boss @ the next trek. Ahem ahem :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2021 03:50PM by Tom_in_CA.
December 24, 2021 05:20PM
JCR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very interesting.
> Good save.

Thanks for taking a look!
December 24, 2021 05:21PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Good patience along with curiosity. Without those, that P button may be in the trash, well done Cal!.

It's a good thing Tom noticed the edge, it was a fun experiment.
December 24, 2021 05:25PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Brian, I was yelling at my computer screen at 8:40
> . D/t you kept me in suspense for over 2 days wai
> ting for the reveal, haha
>
> Congratz on 3 PB's in a single hunt. You've got yo
> ur machines dialed in. You also have a 6th sense
> on where to swing the coil. Ie.: sizing up a sit
> e, mentally mapping out historic people-movement,
> etc....
>
> But don't let these compliments go to your head!
> I will deny I gave any such compliments. And will
> dutifully remind you who is boss @ the next trek.
> Ahem ahem :/

3 Phoenix buttons in a single hunt, pretty sure that's a new record from my previous two in a single hunt which I've done a few times before.

BTW I've studied the area better since our return, and I've identified new "splotches" nearby for investigation smileys with beer Suffice to say our next play may well be bush whacking drinking smiley
December 24, 2021 07:42PM
Good catch Cal & Tom! I learned the hard way; If you don’t know, don’t throw. (Course you have to know you don’t know winking smiley
December 28, 2021 03:23AM
FloridaSon Wrote:
> Good catch Cal & Tom! I learned the hard way; If you don’t know, don’t throw. (Course you have to know you don’t know winking smiley

Ain't that the truth!! I've made some super nice finds that remained undiscovered until they were more apparent later, I call them Easter eggs.