Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Massive Amount of Permissions

Posted by ChrisMD 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Massive Amount of Permissions
March 13, 2022 01:31PM
I came out of detecting retirement a couple of weeks ago, last time I detected was early 2021 I think, a massive aortic aneurysm dissection almost took me out.

Anyhoo, a couple years ago I had some mild success getting permissions from neighborhood Facebook groups, but it was usually a permission or two for every 3-4 posts. I decided to give the Nextdoor app a try, posted asking for permission and linking to a Google Photos album I made to share the types of finds, and the response was nothing short of amazing. Within two days I had a couple dozen permissions granted, and 5 requests for lost ring recovery. My first hunt out of retirement was one of those rings, a rich couple that lived in a 12 million dollar house. Turns out that the owner of the house owned a land development company, buys large groups of co-located houses often in historic districts, gets through the historic red tape to develop, and develops them into commercial properties. He in turn gave carte blanche to detect any of his current properties through ground tear up and up until they actually start dropping hardscape. First one he pointed me too was an 17 parcel site making up 8 acres smack dab in the middle of Alexandria, VA.

Meeting the developer was probably a unicorn opportunity, but thought I'd share the Nextdoor App tip in case it's as successful in someone else's area.

EDIT: Nextdoor also has a website for those that don't like apps, Nextdoor.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 03:18PM by ChrisMD.
Re: Massive Amount of Permissions
March 13, 2022 01:56PM
MASSIVE score Chris! Persistence & diligence paid off........and......... is about to pay off in a bigger way.,.,.,.,.,.,. once you start hunting these sites!
March 13, 2022 02:24PM
nice ... I have a similar relationship with the counties around me.
March 16, 2022 09:42AM
Great idea! And congratulation on the unicorn permission, something like that just doesn’t come along very often, but I’m glad you found one!
March 16, 2022 10:59PM
Nice thinking outside the box strategy!
March 17, 2022 05:37PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice thinking outside the box strategy!

But this means you have to play nice. Chime in on their community. Build affinities. Be a part of a social group, etc.... Can you do that cal-cobra ? smoking smiley (just kidding bro ! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )
March 17, 2022 09:56PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice thinking outside the box strategy!
>
>
> But this means you have to play nice. Chime in on
> their community. Build affinities. Be a part of
> a social group, etc.... Can you do that cal-cobr
> a ? smoking smiley (just kidding bro ! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

Hahahaha, actually I probably missed a couple of responses because my only other post was calling some lady a virtue signaling lunatic when she was saying unvaccinated people should be in concentration camps.
March 18, 2022 01:13AM
ChrisMD Wrote:
> ,,,he was sa
> ying unvaccinated people should be in concentratio
> n camps.

Please, tell me you're not serious ?? confused smiley What the heck does she have to worry about ? If someone chooses not to be vaxxed, and if that results in some threat of their-own-selves: "Catching a disease", then presto: They're only harming themselves. Not others. If she's vaxxed, then presto, she's safe. So why the h*ll does she care ? angry smiley This is what boggles my mind.

BUT ANYHOW : Back to metal detecting eye rolling smiley Your technique is ingenious. It's no secret that permissions are more-likely-among friends and social circles. And in the old days, that was your church, your fraternal organization, your work-place friends, etc..... But today, affinity groups are all on-line now. Thus yes, by all means chime in on other people's FB interest groups, community groups, etc.... Then when "who owns such & such property" comes up, your name is a familiar contributor , and is a great ice-breaker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2022 01:15AM by Tom_in_CA.