Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First hunt with the Legend was surprisingly impressive.

Posted by Soky72 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First hunt with the Legend was surprisingly impressive.
March 19, 2022 01:43AM
Even with all the negativity surrounding the Legend I couldn't help but try it out along with the Deus II and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Out of the box its depth is comparable to my Equinox but its separation was lacking. I primarily hunt civil war relics in mild ground so lead and brass are my main targets so I ran both detectors over a bullet surrounded by square nails. The Equinox hit it in all modes and it wasn't until I switched to all-metal and lowered the 1st tone break to 7 that the Legend started unmasking like it should. So I took it out for quick hunt on my property that's seen the likes of F75, T2, Tarsacci, Deus 1 & 2, Equinox and GPX 4500 and 5000. Now we all know you can't find everything so I hate when people say a detector found something the others didn't which just isn't the case. Everything I found the Deus II or Equinox would have found but the speed and ease at how I was finding tiny lead and bullets was the surprising part. I primarily ran Field M2 All-Metal with the 7 tone break and would check signals with Prospecting in the Custom mode notching 1-10. I used the Equinox in the same manner. The Legend was extremely stable, I ran it wide open and it was quiet as a mouse. It falsed very little requiring me to spend less time investigating ghost signals and after awhile the prospecting mode was so effective I just stayed in it. Now there is no modern trash at this site, very little EMI but enough to bug my Deus II, and very mild soil. I'm also looking just for relics, not coin shooting, prospecting, or beach hunting but the same hunting everyone else around here does. The Legend is NO Deus II, which is great machine but it performance today and excellent ergonomics made it one of the most fun detectors I've used in a long time. If the updates keep coming this will be fantastic machine for people with my narrow area of detecting interest.
JCR
Re: First hunt with the Legend was surprisingly impressive.
March 19, 2022 02:41AM
Thank you for the report. Let us know your further impressions on the Legend.

Chris
March 19, 2022 01:55PM
I had the same experience, it's just an enjoyable detector to use. Which surprises me, because my brother bought me a Simplex as a gift and 5 minutes into using it I just did not like it at all. For me, raw performance is only part of the equation, the other most important part is super subjective and based on how I vibe with a detector. I've bought and sold 3 Equinox trying to fall in love with it, and it just never worked out, even though I could recognize it's performance gains. CTX 3030 was one of those detectors that I just loved using and regret selling. One hunt in with the Legend and I just knew it was a keeper. It couldn't hit everything in the test garden the Equinox could hit, but the ones it couldn't hit might change with updates to the iron bias. I figured out I could hit them if I changed up the tone break, the machine is super down averaging targets very close to iron, but for me I'm not sure it's worth what I might dig in the wild taking the iron tone break down to 6-7ish.
March 19, 2022 06:17PM
I failed to mention that I was hunting in a carpet of square nails.