Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Explanation on why older CZ-20's are 'better' than 21's please...

Posted by njnydigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Explanation on why older CZ-20's are 'better' than 21's please...
August 08, 2011 11:26PM
I might be picking up a used CZ-20. Can anyone that's had the machine & is familiar with the product please explain why the older 20's are supposedly 'better' than the new 21's? Is the issue the same as my CZ-3D (1021) - whereby the older models were calibrated more thoroughly & possibly hotter?? Reason I ask, there seems to be quite a divide on other forums in reference to just this topic. Some claim you CANNOT beat the older 20's & some say the new 21's are just as good as the 20's. I'm confused...are you, lol.

BTW, a dealer told me that on the older 20's you could swap different coil sizes, true? He said it was the model 'with the white coil'.

Until next time Bat fans smiling smiley
Re: Explanation on why older CZ-20's are 'better' than 21's please...
August 09, 2011 01:30AM
old vs new............there has been in the past cz3ds and cz20s/ cz21s which were not properly calibrated. this happened before and after first texas aquired fisher. if this did happen you could send it back in and make sure the unit was properly calibrated.

older cz20s were prone to leaking due to failure at the pinpoint button and led lights. these features have been eliminated or changed on the new cz21.

you can swap coil sizes if you install waterproof connectors on any of the cz20s or cz21s. i dont think they ever came from the factory with swapable non hardwired coils?
chuck.
August 09, 2011 03:24AM
I've had my CZ20 since 1995 and haven't had a bit of trouble. I have heard about leaking pin points but not first hand from any of my club members. I don't normally use the pin point button that much and usually just do the "X" over the target. Once in a while you get a stubborn target and using the pin point in that case could help but, at least for me, that would be the exception and not the rule.

Suncoast Wally..
August 09, 2011 04:29PM
mine is about that old as well and the main unit has not had a problem. i did stop using the pinpoint because i dont want it to fail. recently, i did flood the battery compartment and ruin the battery pack.
chuck.
August 10, 2011 01:34PM
Out of water hunting for years seems like the CZ20 pinpoint button was the weak point which by the way most experienced CZ20 don't use but just X the target. Matter of opinion which is hotter old CZ20 or CZ21 and imagine its all in the tuning. If my memory serves me correctly CZ21 was from the old Fisher and not a new design from the new
Fisher. Never heard much about the waterproof integrity of either so basically should not be a problem with leaking.
August 10, 2011 07:22PM
Just to add to earlier post I have never had any water leakage in CZ20, battery compartment or electronics. With my old 1280X I did have the battery compartrment leak, which only required changing battery wiring and clip. I rarely used the CZ20 for land hunting other than for a short while waiting for sunrise before entering the sea water with it's vast array of not always friendly critters. I often heard sharks feed at dawn so I want to be able to see them before they get a chance to bite my butt!

Wally.