Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Check this out!! Wish I was close to the Mississippi River

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Check this out!! Wish I was close to the Mississippi River
November 05, 2022 12:18AM
If you are you better get out there and scan the banks.

Watch at about 30 seconds in NICE BUCKLE!!!

[youtu.be]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: Check this out!! Wish I was close to the Mississippi River
November 05, 2022 12:59AM
That's Riley. He has been doing videos every week or so when he finds something good. He has found quite a bit for just eyeballing. He's just down stream from the Bass Pro pyramid in Memphis.
JCR
November 05, 2022 01:51AM
I enjoy watching Riley's You Tube channel. He seems like a fine young man, An enthusiastic history buff &good detectorist. Very knowledgeable. He cheers me up to know there are young people interested in the things we enjoy,

Chris
November 05, 2022 04:29PM
Ole Miss is low,but I remember when I was in high school she dropped to -3 at Vicksburg--current level is +2.5.Across the river on the LA. side is a huge sandbar with banks about 15' high--many large caliber shells were found in this area--it is across from a Civil War battery.
We didn't know about "climate change/global warming/BS--it was just a dry year.
November 05, 2022 08:10PM
doc holiday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ole Miss is low,but I remember when I was in high school she dropped to -3 at Vicksburg--current level
> is +2.5.Across the river on the LA. side is a huge sandbar with banks about 15' high--many large
> caliber shells were found in this area--it is across from a Civil War battery.
> We didn't know about "climate change/global warming/BS--it was just a dry year.

+1 thumbs down A great opportunity for anyone near that area. Must be thousands of shells in that mud.
November 06, 2022 06:37PM
Does this guy Riley have a Youtube channel Daniel? Thanks for info.

Yeah I would assume there's a ton of shells around Vicksburg in the river.And along the embankments.

I Know Jack Melton who wrote the Book Civil War Artillery Shells he lives close by .He went over to Vicksburg alot in the 90s and dug shells.All he would use was a Whites 5900 With 15 inch coil and all metal mode.I remember him telling me he'd dig them 5 feet deep at times in that soft loamy soil.Just get a null threshold drop out in his machine instead of a rise in threshold.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 06, 2022 06:54PM
When live gives you lemons, you make lemonade smileys with beer

It reminds me of the mudlarkers in England, I can only imagine the history that's been under water on the Mississippi for centuries!
November 07, 2022 02:28AM
Keith -- Yes he does. Channel name is RelicRiley. If you go to the Dalton Civil War show, he is usually there in a booth. He and that other kid from Depths of History usually set up together. He writes some for American Digger magazine or used to (I've not subscribed in years). He finds a lot of stuff over that way. I don't know how in the world he gets as many permissions as he does, but he has a knack for it.
November 07, 2022 02:38PM
Growing up in a"war zone":
My passion in detecting has always been artillery projectiles and growing up in Vicksburg they were everywhere.Flower beds were lined with shells,mail boxes had shells as counter balances and a few instances of tradegy,but dark humor.Fireplaces were very common and andirons were used to keep the wood elevated so as to burn better. I remember 2 or 3 newspaper accounts,with pics,off folks who used shells as andirons with predictable results.
JCR
November 14, 2022 05:18PM
Riley's other You Tube channel is "Civil War Unearthed" & he has some videos on American Digger's channel.

Chris