Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Manticore Questions

Posted by joshquint 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Manticore Questions
December 20, 2022 08:44PM
Before moving to AZ, my detecting passions were coin/relic (NH) and water detecting in the Caribbean. Out here in AZ, coin and relic detecting is sparse. I bought a GPX6000 to prospect and still take trips with the Excalibur to the Caribbean with friends. I am a few generations behind with my E-Trac, so I am looking for the holy grail in the Manticore. Some questions for comment and opinions.

Goldfields – Here in AZ the nuggets can be quite small. The GPX6000 knocks it out of the park but has zero discrimination. Sadly, in addition to gold, it will detect the tiniest (2mm) pieces of screen, BB’s, and the teeniest bits of anything metal. As gold and iron are pals, there are lots of black sands and magnetite infused hot rocks. The 6000 is fairly decent at masking the hot rocks. My questions are: Will the Manticore detect those little gold boogers? Will it mask out the hot rocks and trash while doing so?

Water – I love my Excalibur. The only time it didn’t pay for a trip, and more, was when Covid was shutting down an island and we had to escape after only 2 days. It discriminated out beach iron and most junk. Looking at the IQ technology, I wonder how much gold I missed that was beneath the bottlecap. I guess my big concerns with the Manticore are will it leak and is it an improvement over my Excalibur.

Speaking of the E-Trac, I transitioned from patterns to 2 tone ferrous with very little discrimination on the ferrous line. As a cellar hole aficionado, that would enable me to see and hear the goodies mixed in with the iron.

Thank you for your input.
Re: Manticore Questions
December 20, 2022 10:14PM
Josh....... Gold-bearing dirt is VERY mineralized...... in most cases. Painful as it may be....... I would still recommend a P.I.
If dirt is really hot/bad...... I speculate the Manticore would still ID tiny flakes of gold as 'iron'...... due to the bad dirt blowback/flyback/feedback. The 'iron' signal-strength of the dirt is MUCH stronger than a tiny non-ferrous...... especially a low conductor...... gold flake/nugget.

Excal is MUCH greater waterproof'ness than Manticore; yet, the Excal/CZ/Sov are (what I call) gold-dead.....in a wet-salt environment...... especially to fine-jewelry.

You would love the Ferrous Limits Upper & Lower adjustability on Manticore..... for cellar-hole hunting.
December 20, 2022 10:34PM
Basically the desert, in gold bearing areas the dirt IS iron. One of my water guys brought an Equinox on a trip. In 20 minutes he was back on his Excalibur. I will still get a Manticore I suppose. The E-Trac, with the Sun-Ray pinpointer is a beast to swing all day. Thank you for your feedback and your efforts in providing guidance on this forum.
December 21, 2022 03:30AM
Also look into a Tarsacci it is the best bad dirt puncher I've ran across.

Plus it has a mixed mode for all metal and Disc running at same time.

It's the deepest bad dirt machine made in my opinion.maybe deepest good dirt too.??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
JCR
December 21, 2022 04:23PM
The Manticore should share to a large extent the Tarsacci's superb ability to find deep targets in wet conductive ground Inland, not just Saltwater beaches.

Chris
December 22, 2022 02:16AM
The Tarsacci will most-probably do better in iron dirt....... due to its different Operating System. That's one area that all VLF's have a handicap.
December 22, 2022 03:12AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Tarsacci will most-probably do better in iron
> dirt....... due to its different Operating System.
> That's one area that all VLF's have a handicap.

Exactly Right Tom!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla