Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Two Trips Out with the Manticore - Great Start

Posted by Gonebeepin' 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Two Trips Out with the Manticore - Great Start
January 19, 2023 06:25AM
I Made a couple trips out with the Manticore and I'm off to a good start. A week ago, Andrew and I had done a little testing with our PI machines at one of Andrews long time spots on the GSL (video is on his YouTube channel for anyone wanting to see his new Equinox 900 in action. Banner day, it is worth watching. [youtu.be] ) We had a great time.

Anyway, the following Thursday we both ended up with Manticore's on our porch, so after some text messaging, we decided a repeat visit on Saturday was necessary.

Andrew was able to get out Friday for a brief period and had already set up a temporary test garden of nickels in the lake bed (10", 12", 14" and 16" deep). We used the same garden to test the manticores. Both of our detectors, with 21 sensitivity, hit all of the nickels. After having run our PI's over these same coins a week earlier, with lesser results, I was impressed as was Andrew. Side note - Andrew tried his D2 on these same targets and it also hit all 4 nickels. I don't know the settings he used on the D2 but he is a well versed XP user.

Settings for NASA Tom

Set up was Beach Deep - 11" coil
Auto Ground balance (bob the coil) which varied depending on location from the mid-teens up to mid-40's.
Recovery Speed 4
Discrimination - None
Ferrous Limits were Preset used in conjunction with the Horseshoe so I could hear everything classified ferrous or non-ferrous
Ferrous Volume 12
Target Tones - 1, All Tones
Audio Theme - Normal
Sensitivity - started at 21, went to 22 and had a bit of instability that was tolerable. Went to 23 for a while and the instability became distracting and then back to 22.
I used my backlight on Full as I don't have a screen protector yet and so the tinted factory film is still in place.

I used Auto ground balance frequently as I went from wet sand to wet sand with melting snow water/salt water mix to straight up potent GSL salt water. I also Noise Cancelled frequently as there is a large EMI source nearby. And I hunt with my cell phone powered OFF.

Andrew's first target had actually come the day before when he came out to do some prep work. Gold Ring. Nice way to begin ownership of any detector. While I didn't turn up a gold ring, I did have a pretty nice Saturday. I managed a 1918-D Merc, 1937-S Buff, 1958-? Wheatie, 1926-? Standing Liberty Quarter and a Utah Sales Tax Toxen, a number of lead bullets and a pair of keys located with my Axiom the previous weekend, but stuck below the frozen layer, so they were left behind not knowing their identity. Good day.

We came back Monday and I added a dateless Buffalo nickel, a 1935-S Peace Dollar, a Sterling silver ring, a brass ring, 2 old keys, and more lead bullets to be repurposed into dive weights. A weather front moved in and it started cooling off so i decided to wrap up. I had 4+ hours hunting time Saturday and another 4 hours or so Monday. Screen backlight was on FULL the whole time, which I wouldn't normally do. My battery indicator was on the last segment as I started winding down to leave. At home it was officially out of green segments so I put it on the charger. I would say it was close to 9 hrs of hunting with full backlight the entire time. I don't know if the Beach DEEP program demands extra power or not.

As for the GSL. Older targets in this place typically start at 10-12" deep, Tip to top of my shovel head measures 11.5" and this was the typical depth of the gray layer where most targets lay. They go down from there. The Manticore handled the deep stuff with sensitivity on 22-23. (35 max) The silver dollar was at the edge of detection. Andrew recorded it on his GoPro and I imagine he will post it on his YouTube channel at some point if you're interested in seeing how deep. I'll just say that it was "in the gray".

As for the Manticore - My thoughts. I have been swinging Minelabs for quite a few years. I acquired my Minelab Explorer XS back in 2000 after using a CZ-6a for about 5 years and other detectors for years before that. Followed The Explorer XS with an Etrac and then the EQ800. How does the Manticore stack up initially for me?

It is very comfortable and light to swing. Natural in hand. Goes deep. Improved menu. ID's well. Easy to use. I like the tones, but still have a LOT of experimenting to do with inland targets. The MC has a very nice feel to it. And it finds stuff for me. That's a really good combination. I have yet to take it to the old parks, old houses and such where I will be better suited to get a feel for inland capabilities compared to my 800 and previous detectors. The ghost towns are still some weeks away as well and i'm likely going to need the small 8x5.5 coil before venturing into the rusty tin and nails. Not sure how long Minelab is going to be getting those to Market.

Unmasking? I had one target, a buffalo nickel, that came up with a piece of rusty iron. Audio was low in the nickel range / target ID in the mid-20's. There was a target on the 12 line that smeared down into the lower ferrous area. I dug away the sand and the Targets were still in the hole down in the gray yuck approximately 10" deep. A large shovelful brought both up. I found the rusty iron piece first with the pinpointer and was surprised to see it considering the signal. Thinking there must be something else there, i re-swept the pile and discovered the nickel. I know that's not much to go on. But it gave me confidence.

The Manticore's new target ID scale is reminiscent of the White's detectors pretty much exactly, at least for coins. I can tell the difference between clad and silver coins. That gives me some familiarity.

Well, so far, so good. It's been a few years since I turned up my last silver dollar. And more that a few years since my last SLQ, so an unexpectedly nice start. I have to say thus far, I'm pleased with my purchase.

UtahRich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: Two Trips Out with the Manticore - Great Start
January 19, 2023 11:59AM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I Made a couple trips out with the Manticore and I
> 'm off to a good start. A week ago, Andrew and I h
> ad done a little testing with our PI machines at o
> ne of Andrews long time spots on the GSL (video is
> on his YouTube channel for anyone wanting to see h
> is new Equinox 900 in action. Banner day, it is wo
> rth watching. [youtu.be] ) We h
> ad a great time.
>
> Anyway, the following Thursday we both ended up wi
> th Manticore's on our porch, so after some text me
> ssaging, we decided a repeat visit on Saturday was
> necessary.
>
> Andrew was able to get out Friday for a brief peri
> od and had already set up a temporary test garden
> of nickels in the lake bed (10", 12", 14" and 16"
> deep). We used the same garden to test the mantico
> res. Both of our detectors, with 21 sensitivity, h
> it all of the nickels. After having run our PI's
> over these same coins a week earlier, with lesser
> results, I was impressed as was Andrew. Side note
> - Andrew tried his D2 on these same targets and it
> also hit all 4 nickels. I don't know the settings
> he used on the D2 but he is a well versed XP user.

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I hit coins at 16 inches. . probably go Daffy Duck all over the field. What state are you in?, . . If you don't mind. And, would you post Andrew's D2 settings for that depth? Of course my soil is most likely a different composition here in SE PA. Just got my well water tested . . loaded with iron. That explains the staining of the toilet bowls. Thanks Gonebeppin!
January 19, 2023 05:58PM
Nice report!

Steve
January 19, 2023 06:10PM
Rich...... good report!!!

FYI....... GSL = Great Salt Lake (Utah)

Rich............some time..........when you have time........... try Beach Seawater Mode. It may allow you to drive Sens a bit higher......before encountering your MEGA salt: blowback/flyback/feedback.
Sounds like you are off to a VERY reasonable (expectations) start!
Congrat's on those really neat finds!
January 20, 2023 04:06PM
I'll give more time to the Beach / Seawater setting the next time we're out. Waiting for a period when the temps come back up above freezing for a few days in a row. Thanks for the input.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
January 22, 2023 11:56AM
One thing I do like about Manticore from what I have read is they brought back the adjustable modulated audio like on the Etrac/Explorers as Equinox did not have it. They call it Audio theme profile instead of volume gain but same thing.
January 22, 2023 03:33PM
Harold..... correct!
And now........ unsuspectingly .... (due to my aging ears)........ I find: Audio Theme = SIMPLE......... to be best for NOT missing deep (older) targets. By Being in SIMPLE...... the 'Volume' of the deep targets is louder.,.,.,and MUCH less likely to be 'missed' by my aging ears.....and.....external distracters. Modulated audio with YOUNG ears....... can be beneficial.
January 22, 2023 10:23PM
NASA-Tom,

I am so glad, as Harold alluded to, that "modulation" can be adjusted.

I LOVE modulated audio, so that you can get a feel for depth just by the "softness" of the tone, BUT...

I hear you on the "aging ears" caution. I will be testing the unit in my test garden ASAP, to determine which of the modulation levels will allow the best information regarding possible target depth, and yet without SO much modulation that the deepest targets are TOO soft/quiet to command appropriate attention...

Steve
January 23, 2023 11:46AM
I always BEGGED for 'modulated audio'. But.................. when the rubber-meets-the-road.......... "reality" precludes.
And = Test-garden audio requirements............VS...........real-World requirements........may not be the same.
January 23, 2023 01:43PM
Maybe Ole' Cal can do a video showing the different Modulation settings on deep coins in his test garden?
January 24, 2023 09:06AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:

> And = Test-garden audio requirements............VS
> ...........real-World requirements........may not
> be the same.

NASA-Tom,

Can you elaborate just a bit, on the above?

I assumed that if I have a target in my test garden that is "fringe depth" for the Manticore, then playing with the audio settings, and being sure that I pick the "amount of modulation" that still allows that fringe-depth target to be clearly heard, would be representative of how the machine would behave on a "fringe depth" target "in the wild" (EVEN THOUGH "fringe depth" could obviously be different in the field, vs. the test garden, of course...)

Steve
January 24, 2023 12:54PM
The Manticore also has that target trace type screen like the CTX 3030 I see.
That and the adjustable modulation alone make it worth the extra money over the Equinox too me anyway.
January 24, 2023 02:47PM
steveg........yes.
In a test-garden environment.,.,.,.,., your brain has a subconscious, predetermined (pre-gumption) of HEARING a audio report on a KNOWN deep target. No matter HOW you modulate the audio..............you will hear it.,.,.,.,.,., and: to your 'Modulated' likings.

Out in-the-wild............... in the real-World, there is NO "subconscious KNOWING" of when/where the deep targets are. You are not "expecting" a exacting response-----in a exacting (pinpoint) location. Soooooooooooo.............a softer modulated target comes as a surprise..... IF IF IF you even hear it.
AND. AND = In a ocean of targets.,.,.,.,.,., will your ears/brain "lock-on" to a fainter audio......in a ocean of louder targets.
In a test-garden...... you KNEW it was there. But...... in the real-World = = = "?????" !!!!!!
January 25, 2023 09:46AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> steveg........yes.
> In a test-garden environment.,.,.,.,., your brain
> has a subconscious, predetermined (pre-gumption) o
> f HEARING a audio report on a KNOWN deep target. N
> o matter HOW you modulate the audio..............y
> ou will hear it.,.,.,.,.,., and: to your 'Modulate
> d' likings.
>
> Out in-the-wild............... in the real-World,
> there is NO "subconscious KNOWING" of when/where t
> he deep targets are. You are not "expecting" a exa
> cting response-----in a exacting (pinpoint) locati
> on. Soooooooooooo.............a softer modulated t
> arget comes as a surprise..... IF IF IF you even h
> ear it.
> AND. AND = In a ocean of targets.,.,.,.,.,., will
> your ears/brain "lock-on" to a fainter audio......
> in a ocean of louder targets.
> In a test-garden...... you KNEW it was there. But.
> ..... in the real-World = = = "?????" [/
> b] !!!!!!

NASA-Tom.

Excellent explanation. Entirely understood...

Hmm. I'll try to take this into consideration, when determining how much "modulation" I may wish to use...

Thank you!

Steve
January 25, 2023 11:47AM
Also you do not have to stare at the screen in a high trash area just listen for the softer hit then stop and investigate. That the way I like to hunt anyway. Of course some will say you could miss shallower good targets but you get in a trashy old park you be digging ever few steps you take for clad most likely or trash. If you clad hunting cool but if you looking for old coins the deeper the better the odds it's old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2023 11:57AM by Harold,ILL..
January 26, 2023 01:22PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Also you do not have to stare at the screen in a h
> igh trash area just listen for the softer hit then
> stop and investigate. That the way I like to hunt
> anyway. Of course some will say you could miss sha
> llower good targets but you get in a trashy old pa
> rk you be digging ever few steps you take for clad
> most likely or trash. If you clad hunting cool but
> if you looking for old coins the deeper the better
> the odds it's old.

Harold,

Agreed! I like to hunt the same way you do, it sounds like...

Steve