Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Flying with a Metal Detector

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Flying with a Metal Detector
August 13, 2011 04:34PM
Hi all, I need some advice. Whats the best way to take a metal detector, sand scoop etc., on a flight in the states?
Re: Flying with a Metal Detector
August 13, 2011 05:42PM
One thought if you are going to be charged by your airline for that EXTRA bag.......which can be costly BOTH ways (outbound and return). Its even more pricey if it is an OVERSIZE bag (like golf club bags, gun cases etc.). Consider UPS or FedEx with insurance right to your destination with a tracking #. VERY favorable rates compared to the airlines gouging you. Guys going on golf vacations are doing this constantly now because of the new airline extra bag prices and the bag shows up at the hotel (and can be picked back up at the hotel by UPS/FedEx at no additional charge) and no lugging it around the airport.
August 13, 2011 06:37PM
Thanks Bob....great advice........as I am going to be flying in next couple of months and will be detecting at destination.
August 13, 2011 06:52PM
FedEx actually advertises a special size "golf club box" that they have that everything you need to ship for metal detecting fits in perfectly! (scoops, shovels, detector etc.)

[fedex.com]
August 13, 2011 11:46PM
I have been out of the country five times with detector. I always break mine down and carry on to avoid any damage. Have a large suitcase for my break down scoop and other items I might need This is how it works for me..good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2011 08:16PM by sonny(IN).
August 15, 2011 01:23AM
I usually bring the control box (electronics) as a 'carry-on'.......... and 'check-in' the rest of the detector. I recommend against bringing batteries (unless as 'check-in luggage)...... as the airlines do not like electronic devices that click/tick/beep....... especially as a 'carry-on'.
August 15, 2011 09:52AM
Sounds good, thanks all ! My wife told me Southwest dosen't charge for cary-ons'
August 15, 2011 10:45AM
one added thing that i do is take the manual with me. this can assure them as to what you have. Never had any kind of a problem...
August 15, 2011 11:20PM
That's a good idea sonny, will do.
August 16, 2011 06:52AM
I fly with mine all the time and never had a problem. I also take the electronics in the carry on (if it's something like the 3D or Goldmaxx or if it's like the T2 or Fisher I just take the display part on board) Once I took a military folding shovel with me in my carry on, and this was a flight from UK to Sweden, and there was a little explaining to do about that one. I didn't think about this because this was the first time I traveled with this particular shovel, but those things are vicious looking and can definitely pass as a weapon, so don't take any shovels with you or scoops in the carry on. Lucky for me the gut at the X-ray machine who questioned me was a reasonable person, (and not one of those mindless security dones that won't let you board with a pair of nail clippers or an EMPTY zippo lighter, but that's another story). He talked to me for about 2 minutes about metal detecting and what kind off stuff I usually find, and it turns out he was a military memorabilia collector. Anyways, I am certain that if it was anyone else my brand new shovel would have been confiscated so I got lucky.

With regard to batteries, I have two views on this. One is I agree with Tom's view and last time I flew with my detector I took the batteries out and din't have them with me. Another time a few years back I remember that one security guy asked me to turn it on and I did, and it made a beep and he said thats good and let me go (the coil was not even connected so not sure what he wanted). I think it's better to just leave the batteries out, they can pass it through the exray a few times and swipe it to make sire there is not explosives and you should be fine.