Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question for Tom,Search modes & audio themes (DEPTH) ???

Posted by BamaJoe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question for Tom,Search modes & audio themes (DEPTH) ???
February 05, 2023 09:53PM
Tom or anyone that wants to help,I think there is a lot of confusion concerning audio themes (DEPTH). Am I wrong? My take is that all search modes except GOLD use FE/Conductance discrimination for both 2D visual and audio. GOLD mode is per-configured to use (DEPTH) audio.If I understand the user manual correctly, in audio theme (DEPTH) the audio discriminates off of target size.You can adjust the min/max pitch with min pitch = shallow/small targets and max pitch = deep/large targets.You can also adjust the audio volume modulation,volume gain on CTX3030) with 3 settings (SIMPLE,MEDIUM,& RICH). SIMPLE = low volume difference between shallow and deep targets. MEDIUM = medium difference between shallow/deep target volume. RICH = greater volume difference between shallow/deep targets.I THINK (not sure) that when in (DEPTH) audio theme,no matter what mode you are in (MODES: AT,BEACH,or GOLD) the audio reports off signal depth and the 2D screen reports off FE/CO. I think this needs clarification and discussion.There is a lot of videos where people are digging iron in deep audio thinking they are discriminating off FE?CO.This is causing confusion and prospective buyers to hold off thinking the manticort has iron discriminating problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2023 12:58PM by BamaJoe.
Re: Question for Tom,Search modes & audio themes (DEPTH) ???
February 07, 2023 12:59PM
anyone....
February 07, 2023 09:20PM
Joe....... I JUST caught this. (Not sure how I missed your post).

I'm not sure I'm fully understanding you...... but will give it a shot.

If you are in DEPTH audio...... it is very similar to PROSPECTING audio. Both are VCO-based. Both present a very low 'iron-tone' when you pass over iron. This is a really good form of audio discrimination.......giving you the ability to discriminate/discern with your ears. Non-ferrous targets give you a higher pitch 'zip-zip-zip' audio report. The LCD screen ..... in concert with the audio..... will indeed generate a 'CO' number (conductance ID number of the detected target). NONE of the audio is 'based' off of the target ""size""...... but/rather...... based off of the targets signal-strength. The closer the target...... the higher the 'squeal' audio report. (And..... the more accurate the ID is). Yes....... you can customize the modulation of the deeper targets......and you can customize the frequency/pitch of the targets.....to accommodate human frequency-bandwidth (tone) deafness. The 2D screen parallels the audio report.

Joe....... am I going in the direction of your original question?
February 08, 2023 12:09AM
Tom,in one of Calabash's podcast (over an hour long) last week,he was in depth audio,not sure if simple,medium or rich profile.I think he was in AT low or high conductors.After adjusting upper FE limit up and down, he was getting a high tone on shallow rusty nail.He was stating that in other modes the iron discrimination worked good but in this mode minelab may have something wrong.I'm not knocking Calabash,I enjoy watching his videos,I don't think he understands depth audio.Also,I've seen several videos of others saying the same thing.Maybe I'm the one that don't understand but either way it looks like a good discussion is in order.Any enlightenment will help me as my manticort is supposed to arrive tomorrow.I've read a few post on other forums where some were saying because of THIS VERY PROBLEM that they were going to hold off till minelab got this problem fixed. HELP...thanks
February 08, 2023 01:28AM
Video I did for you Joe.
[m.youtube.com]
February 08, 2023 02:56AM
Joe........ I have not experienced this (yet). But........ what I will do.... is grab a bunch of rusty nails & barbed wire...... and see if DEPTH has a greater propensity to 'false' on the iron implements.
February 08, 2023 03:58AM
I think it will be more likely to false using a small rusty iron (nail or whatever) in DEPTH audio with RICH profile.But try the test in SIMPLE,MEDIUM and RICH..Thanks,Tom

tnsharpshooter: I'm pretty sure it was Calabash but I've watched a lot of your videos too.Anyway,I'm looking forward to using this DEPTH audio in my bad soil.I want to skip the clad like the guy at NWGA was doing in the video you linked.I also looked at how he set his settings.Very good info.Thanks for sharing.
February 08, 2023 04:33AM
On Steve Herschbach Detector Prospector forum,Rick in MI. has a post referring to Calabash's video if anyone wants to read about it.The post is titled: "Manticore: Why Is It Hitting High Tones On Small Iron In Calabash's Hunt?" After thinking about it some more,it could be that the minimum pitch setting is set high enough to cause to high tone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2023 11:01AM by BamaJoe.