Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Manticore battery...looking for solutions to short run time...

Posted by steveg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Manticore battery...looking for solutions to short run time...
February 15, 2023 07:37PM
Hi all.

I must say, as much as I like my Manticore thus far, I do NOT like the battery life. I hunted the unit in all-terrain high conductors, which is of course the highest battery-drain mode. BUT, with that said, about 6 1/2 hours, and my battery went from "full charge" to dead/machine shutdown. This will NOT work for me.

SO -- I'm looking to explore whether or not there's a relatively small portable charger, that I can hook up to the unit, that will charge the battery at about the same rate as the battery drains. In other words, if I had a portable charger that could charge fast enough, so that IT is what is being "drained" as opposed to the MC battery itself, this would be a solution. That way, when the charger dies, I'd then have the full MC battery capacity to use. From this perspective, what I'm hoping to see is a charger that I can hook up, and for at least 4 hours, will maintain a full charge on the MC, WHILE HUNTING, and then when it dies, would leave me with the 6 1/2 hours of MC battery charge available. That would give 10 1/2 hours run time, and should be enough for me abuot 98 percent of the time.

Anyone have any thoughts? I expect it would be EASY to hook up a charger that would charge SLOWER than the MC battery is draining while in use, but that might still leave me with a dead MC battery, and a charger that still has capacity available but can't get it to the MC quickly enough. I want one that will charge FASTER than the MC drains, so that it's the CHARGER that dies, after MAINTAINING 100% charge on the MC up until it dies...

Thoughts?

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2023 07:39PM by steveg.
Re: Manticore battery...looking for solutions to short run time...
February 15, 2023 09:48PM
They make differ t shape packs.
You may opt for cylindrical shaped.

Here's example.
[www.cablewholesale.com]
February 15, 2023 11:47PM
Steve....... WELL understood! I'm in the same boat.
Yet...... I do understand.,.,.,.,., with more power & performance.......comes a trade-off. It's 6-1/2 hours of high horsepower.......all-out full-throttle.,.,.,.,., then you're DIW!! If you are far from home (long/dedicated detecting journey)........ we understand the NEED for high-horsepower continuance. If I'm understanding you correctly..........I have a slightly DIFFERENT concern/want. I DON'T (can't afford) to stop detecting........ in order to charge the battery with a portable battery; but/yet/rather............... NEED to plug in a small/lightweight portable battery.............say........ when the detector drops down to 10% remaining charge. , . , . , . , . , . , plug in the portable battery (((have it fit/snap into place.....under the armcup/detector stand)))....... and keep swinging for a few more hours! Yes.....the detector CAN stay "ON" whilst plugged into a wall outlet OR with a small/portable/lightweight battery is onboard.
February 16, 2023 12:48AM
NASA-Tom,

No, I may not have described it clear.

I am pretty much trying to accomplish what you described. BUT, what I was imagining, is starting a hunt WITH the portable charger attached to the MC. Then, as I hunt, the charger would be KEEPING the MC battery at 100%, or at least very close to it, UNTIL, the portable charger ran out of power (and could no longer charge the MC). Then, at that point, I'd disconnect the charger, and would then still have the fully charged MC (thanks to the charger keeping it at 100% charge while I was detecting) That way, I'd know I had another 6 1/2 hours of run time AFTER the charger runs out of power...

I didn't think letting the MC discharge to 10%, and then hooking up a portable charger to continue to hunt, would be the best way, because if the portable charger could not charge "fast enough" to "keep up with" the battery drain of the MC, then the MC would continue to drop to 9, 8, 7...and eventually "die," EVEN THOUGH the charger was attached (UNLESS the charger can charge the MC battery FASTER than the MC battery discharges under full-throttle, high-horsepower use...)

Do you happen to know, or happen to know how to calculate, how much mAh would be needed, to do one full charge on the MC battery? AND, do you happen to know what "model" of battery MC uses?

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2023 12:48AM by steveg.
February 16, 2023 01:36AM
Video I just did.
Shows Manticore battery and specs.
[m.youtube.com]

Do a search of Anker power packs.
They make a 5000 mah one don't cost much.
Couple of these along with detector battery. You run them down in a day- oh well you are the he man of detecting.

Cheers.
February 16, 2023 01:47AM
David,

THANK YOU for the info. I'll check out the video now, and yes, I was just looking at an Anker 321, 5000mAh, wondering if that's enough to do, essentially, one charge of the MC battery.

I'll check out the video now.

THANKS!

Steve
February 16, 2023 01:53AM
David, THANKS!

So, here's what I come up with -- it seems like it may be an 18650 x 2...

http://www.batterysupports.com/36v-37v-2-18650-6800mah-2p-lithium-ion-liion-battery-pack-p-491.html

Seem right?

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2023 02:31AM by steveg.
February 16, 2023 12:33PM
I feel like for the price of the detector, you shouldn’t have to buy extras to improve battery life unless you were exceeding a full days worth of detecting. Even if you are running it at max power, 6 1/2 hours seems unfortunate. If conditions allowed, I feel like anyone would want to run it that way their whole hunt. If it was more like 8-10, I feel that would be better. I guess my next question would be how much more battery life do you get if you run it on one of the other settings?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2023 01:26PM by DigDugNY.
February 16, 2023 02:58PM
DigDug --

While I totally agree with you, my guess is that Minelab did the best they could, battery-wise, WITHOUT making the overall weight of the unit exceed some "limit" that they had in mind -- i.e. so that the machine did not end up heavier than the D2, Equinox, etc. There's a "marketing" angle there (i.e. "light machine") that I'm sure carried alot of weight, no pun intended...such that FOUR of those battery cells (which would have doubled the run time) would have made the overall weight of the unit exceed some "magic number," that Minelab did not want to exceed.

SO -- here we are.

Steve
February 16, 2023 04:49PM
steveg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DigDug --
>
> While I totally agree with you, my guess is that M
> inelab did the best they could, battery-wise, WITH
> OUT making the overall weight of the unit exceed s
> ome "limit" that they had in mind -- i.e. so that
> the machine did not end up heavier than the D2, Eq
> uinox, etc. There's a "marketing" angle there (i.
> e. "light machine") that I'm sure carried alot of
> weight, no pun intended...such that FOUR of those
> battery cells (which would have doubled the run ti
> me) would have made the overall weight of the unit
> exceed some "magic number," that Minelab did not w
> ant to exceed.
>
> SO -- here we are.
>
> Steve

It’s interesting for sure. It’s definitely the real world results that folks such as yourself provide that I greatly appreciate. I’m about to have the funds to buy a manticore after taxes and it’s things like this I have to consider. I’m lucky if I can get out for more than 6 hours in a day anymore, so I guess if there was a day I planned to, I could bring along a battery pack. If you find one that works well for you I’ll be curious to know what it is
February 16, 2023 06:00PM
DigDug -- I'm searching for the best solution now, and if/when I find it, I'll let you know...

Thanks!

Steve
February 16, 2023 07:26PM
All Terrain Low Conductors, Beach Seawater Mode.......and a few others...... will give you about a 11-hour run on a single full charge.
February 16, 2023 08:05PM
Got it, thanks!
February 16, 2023 11:01PM
Even the D2 is not exempt from battery drain in Deep HC but its the coil that goes down the fastest.
February 17, 2023 01:10AM
steveg Wrote:
> DigDug -- I'm searching for the best solution now,
> and if/when I find it, I'll let you know...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

I'll be interested in what you find out Steve. Keep us posted thanks

Mike
February 17, 2023 02:43AM
Hey Steve, This may be a dumb question because I don’t have a Manticore yet, but would the RNB external battery pack work? Like the one they had for the Nox 800 seeing how the charging ports are the same. If not it’ll be interesting on what you find. HH, Don grinning smiley
February 17, 2023 03:29AM
I use the Ankers for different things and love them. I use them as a continuous supply to the GoPro and a bunch of other things. My 8 hour detecting days are done though unless you count driving time haha
February 18, 2023 03:33AM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> Even the D2 is not exempt from battery drain in De
> ep HC but its the coil that goes down the fastest.

Interesting, but I guess that makes sense. Hard to get a high-capacity (i.e. larger) battery into the relatively smaller space that would be available in/on a coil...

Steve
February 18, 2023 03:36AM
DJW-OR Wrote:
> Hey Steve, This may be a dumb question because I d
> on’t have a Manticore yet, but would the RNB exte
> rnal battery pack work? Like the one they had for
> the Nox 800 seeing how the charging ports are the
> same. If not it’ll be interesting on what you find
> . HH, Don grinning smiley

Don, thanks for your thought there, and yes, I expect that it would work well -- and in fact that's one of the options I've explored. BUT -- what I found out is that RNB is not making them anymore, for the EQX (and not sure if they are making ANYTHING, at this point...something about costs being too high). I think the general consensus from those I've talked to is that while the RNB option for the EQX is nice, it's overpriced, compared to what you can get (in terms of performance) from another charger, but at a much cheaper price...

Steve
February 18, 2023 03:56AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I use the Ankers for different things and love the
> m. I use them as a continuous supply to the GoPro
> and a bunch of other things. My 8 hour detecting
> days are done though unless you count driving time
> haha

Daniel,

I agree with you. Anker is a brand I have come to trust.

I'm actually pretty strongly considering the Anker 321 Power Bank...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2023 03:57AM by steveg.
February 18, 2023 04:07AM
Steve, why not just build a quick release hinged mount that can fold forward for the pod? Buy a matching battery that comes in manticore and when battery is low just use quick release, fold pod forward , swap battery, snap back into place and keep detecting. I've seen these made for the equinox. And now since batter is user replaceable easily and quickly then it seems a mount that offers quick access would be what I would prefer.
February 18, 2023 04:33AM
basstrackerman -- not a bad idea, though I don't know if the battery compartment seal is made for frequent use. I haven't had mine apart, but I saw a video on it, and it looks like there is a "plug" of sorts that gets removed, to access the battery. And I'm sure that pulling out that plug a couple of times over the course of several years to replace a battery would be no big deal, but I wonder if it is made for repeated battery swaps...or if you might wear out the seal. Just thinking out loud.

The other thing is, I am usually pretty biased against 3D-printed parts, in terms of durability/longevity. To do it right, I'd want such a hinged mount to be injection molded, but now you are talking EXPENSIVE.

So, I think those are the reasons I'm thinking secondary/external pack...

Steve
February 18, 2023 04:55AM
I just got one of these in today. I'm charging it up and will be trying it out tomorrow

> I'm actually pretty strongly considering the Anker
> 321 Power Bank...
>
> Steve
February 18, 2023 03:09PM
Mike,

Excellent. I'll be interested to hear any reports you may have, after using it.

One thing I'd like to know, is if hooked up to a Manticore with the Manticore battery at full charge, will the Power Bank hold the MC battery at or near full charge, with the POWER BANK ITSELF discharges (such that when it "runs out of juice," you now have a near-full-charge MC battery).

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2023 02:31PM by steveg.
February 19, 2023 04:35AM
Steve I seen this when I got home. Today I had a few hours about 2hrs I detected in ATG HC and when I got home. I plugged the Manticore into the Anker 321 Power Bank and it took about 2 1/2 hours to completely charge the machine. Also it went from full charge to 75% left. So it used about 25% to charge it. It has for LEDs and it went from 4 green to only 3 green so probably less. I will try what you said tomorrow and will report back.

Mike K

steveg Wrote:
> One thing I'd like to know, is if hooked up to a M
> anticore with the Manticore battery at full charge
> , with the Power Bank hold the MC battery at or ne
> ar full charge, with the POWER BANK ITSELF dischar
> ges (such that when it "runs out of juice," you no
> w have a near-full-charge MC battery).
>
> Steve
February 19, 2023 02:38PM
Mike,

Good report. And I will be looking forward to what you find out with the 321 plugged into the MC from the get-go. Now that we know that it will charge "roughly" as quickly as it discharges (you hunted about 3 hours, 2 in ATHC, and then it took about 2 hours to restore full charge), I will be interested to see if hunting WITH it attached, it can maintain full charge on the MC while you hunt in ATHC.

Thanks, Mike!

Steve

Mike K Wrote:
> Steve I seen this when I got home. Today I had a f
> ew hours about 2hrs I detected in ATG HC and when
> I got home. I plugged the Manticore into the Anker
> 321 Power Bank and it took about 2 1/2 hours to co
> mpletely charge the machine. Also it went from ful
> l charge to 75% left. So it used about 25% to char
> ge it. It has for LEDs and it went from 4 green to
> only 3 green so probably less. I will try what you
> said tomorrow and will report back.
>
> Mike K
>
> steveg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > One thing I'd like to know, is if hooked up to a
> M
> > anticore with the Manticore battery at full char
> ge
> > , with the Power Bank hold the MC battery at or
> ne
> > ar full charge, with the POWER BANK ITSELF disch
> ar
> > ges (such that when it "runs out of juice," you
> no
> > w have a near-full-charge MC battery).
> >
> > Steve
February 19, 2023 04:00PM
Here's beginning of 4 hour test with Manticore.
Screen max brightness.
Sensitivity at 24.
Vol at 22
Headphones paired
No vibration selected.
No keypad lighting selected.
AT High Conductor program.
A 5000 MaH battery is used.
Manticore battery fully charged before testing.
Will post follow up video to show the real deal. Right here in this post via edit,

[m.youtube.com]

Video showing results after 4 hours external power source use.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2023 07:49PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 19, 2023 04:09PM
tn --

Now that's some good stuff, right there. THANK YOU for running that test. I will have my eyes peeled for your updates, as I am VERY curious to see what the results are..

THANKS, David!

Steve
February 19, 2023 11:09PM
5 1/2 hour test with Manticore.
Screen max brightness.
Sensitivity at 22.
Vol at 25
Headphones paired and turned down
No vibration selected.
No keypad lighting selected.
ATG High Conductor program.
A 5200 mAh battery is used.
Manticore battery fully charged before testing.

With the Anker 321 5200 mAh battery bank I detected 5 1/2" hours today and started with a full battery. I was gonna put a video together lol. But here is the meat of it. It has 4 LEDs and at the end of 5 1/2 hours it was on 1 of 4 LEDs flashing and My Manticore was still fully charged. Not bad for a $25 investment. I probably would do as TOM suggested wait till it gets to about 10% and then turn it on. Hope this helps. I also mounted it right below the hand grip and I never even knew it was there.

Anker 321 Power Bank (PowerCore 5K), 5,200mAh Portable Charger

Mike K

Thanks
tnsharpshooter for the layout was a good idea.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2023 11:24PM by Mike K.
February 19, 2023 11:32PM
Mike --

That is outstanding news, and just what I was hoping for. You got 5 1/2 hours run time from the Anker 321, still had a bit of life left in it, AND, your Manticore was still fully charged (which for me would be another 6 1/2 hours of detecting time in ATHC.

Perfect. Just what I was hoping for.

I could be wrong, but I think (per another person's explanation on another forum), that doing it "my way" would be better. If I understand this other person's point correctly, and it seems to make sense, if you let the MC battery drain to near empty before plugging in the charger, the charge then has to charge the battery AND power the unit, at the same time. Whereas, if you start with a fully charged MC battery and plug in the charger, it ONLY has to power the unit, and thus would last longer. I have left out a few details of what was explained, and maybe they were critical details, though this is the "gist" of what I understood...

Any thoughts on this? NASA-Tom?

Steve