Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Iron Falsing

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Iron Falsing
May 03, 2023 12:27PM
During the past several months I've read of many Manticore complaints of iron false reports. Some say it is a programming issue some not. Some will down right state the Manticore is a total failure. By my decades of detecting, any detector will false on iron. This includes many of the machines I've used, which also includes the Equinox. Turn them up (increase sensitivity) and they will false at times. Now with the Manticore TX boost may be the main cause of these complaints. Turn up the TX power and naturally, iron false will occur. I'm sure there is more to the complaints than just one issue.
Re: Iron Falsing
May 03, 2023 01:06PM
What's crazy is.........lately: I'm running Manticore =
1. Ferrous Limits - Upper ........all the way down on 4 !!!
2. Ferrous Limits - Lower.........Completely down on 0 !!!
And hitting carpets of nails with these settings. These are absolutely absurd/insane/psychotic settings. The thing is falsing all over the place!!!.......... yet, unmasking to a level that I have never seen/witnessed/experienced in the history of metal detecting. Somehow...... I am (easily) able to discern nail falses...... from ----nail with small non-ferrous implement---- in extremely close proximity (maybe even 'touching') nails. Yes....... I do dig some nails occasionally; yet, I am nearly always certain....when a non-ferrous item is coexisting with nails.
I rarely talk about this........,,,,,,,,........am very reluctant to talk about this..........because............how do I "TEACH" what I am hearing. How do I teach 'audio'. The only thing I can say is: When a non-ferrous is in extreme close proximity of a nail........the audio BURPS a MUCH longer (MUCH higher percentage) of non-ferrous tone. This is in:
1. Initial sweep
2. AND in GREATER amounts of body-rotation... around suspect target.

When I am running Upper on '4'......and Lower on '0'.....,,,,,,,.......,,,,,,,,.......,,,,,,,,, these insane settings: explode with falsing.........as to be expected. Soooooooo.......... I can hardly tell if Manticore has iron falsing issues.......,,,,,,,, due to INDUCED mega-iron-falsing settings. . . . . . so as to UNMASK.... at INSANE unmasking order-of-magnitude levels.

Where there is TONs of iron........ there was MAXIMUM human cohabitation. (Where nearly ALL of your desired targets will reside).

I will say this: XP & Minelab are VIOLENTLY attacking iron........ with epic 'unmasking' intents. (((They are well aware....... this is where nearly all good non-ferrous targets: reside.........and............in order to have future success.............
----this page left intentionally blank----))).
May 03, 2023 01:17PM
Hey Tom, with these ferrous limits are you using AT-HC mostly with them or AT-LC? Also could you describe the shape of the target trace for these items that its unmasking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2023 01:20PM by vipergts323.
JCR
May 03, 2023 01:41PM
The best "teaching" I have read concerning falsing audio is to listen for "extension" of the high tone per Clive Clynick. Keith Southern describes it as "roundness". The only way I have begun to learn this is to get into the nails and hunt thoughtfully & slowly.

Chris
May 03, 2023 05:16PM
Lots of machines spit and sputter or even blast on iron yet STILL unmask audibly well, but if the machine doesn't have enough audio intelligence it's a nightmare to use in iron.

Nuanced audio is very important and sometimes it's not even adaptable or learnable on some machine's audio feeds.

This is why a Vista series or a Nokta or old Tesoros, Deus do so well in iron they have nuances in single tones or even mixed tones.They are noisy and blendy/bleedy audio but it make sense to the human ear.After a short learning curve .

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 03, 2023 09:40PM
viper....... Right now........ I am mostly using Beach Seawater Mode with:
Ferrous Limits - Upper = 4
Ferrous Limits - Lower = 0 (3 if I start digging too much sheet steel/tin).

BUT....... I indeed do use these Upper & Lower Settings with AT High Conductors (and sometimes AT Low Conductors).
May 13, 2023 01:14PM
Tom you say your currently using Beach Seawater Mode. Are you inland or at the beach?

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> viper....... Right now........ I am mostly using B
> each Seawater Mode with:
> Ferrous Limits - Upper = 4
> Ferrous Limits - Lower = 0 (3 if I start digging t
> oo much sheet steel/tin).
>
> BUT....... I indeed do use these Upper & Lower Set
> tings with AT High Conductors (and sometimes AT Lo
> w Conductors).