Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sebastian Inlet and Melbourne Beach

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sebastian Inlet and Melbourne Beach
August 17, 2011 12:58AM
My wife and I were invited to vacation with friends in Florida near these beaches.

Can anyone tell me the rules and regs for metal detecting these areas? I'm taking a cz3d and maybe the f-75 or the MLse. Is it true you are not allowed to md in the water? Only from the shoulder of the dunes to the high water line?

I will have to re-study Toms R&B Hunting dvd's for sure.

Any info would be a big help, thanks all
Re: Sebastian Inlet and Melbourne Beach
August 17, 2011 01:14AM
Ozzie....it is safe to say that you can definitely hunt the water line to the dune line and steer clear of any turtle nesting areas where eggs may have been deposited. We locals call this area the "South Beaches" which is Melbourne Beach to Sebastian Inlet. Due to the treasure off of our coast here you would need to be very familiar with the latest water leases granted for the commercial treasure hunters. You will often see small planes, helicopters, 4 wheelers etc making sure their lease rights are protected. You don't want to get your coil wet UNLESS you know absolutely for certain that stretch of beach you are interested in is OK to water hunt. DO NOT take anyone's word UNLESS they are in some position of authority who REALLY KNOWS the current lease rights...they change regularly! CZ in salt mode, F75 dry sand and ML for wet is fine.

Stop into the Sebastian Beach Inn and have a cool drink on the deck overlooking the ocean. And above all else...ENJOY!

Bob on the Space Coast.
August 17, 2011 09:18AM
Thanks Bob. The facts of your answer, not you Bob, make my blood boil. Question; Who owns the beach/ocean and has the rights to lease (for profit) to another party?
August 17, 2011 12:05PM
Good/exacting/correct question.
August 18, 2011 12:02AM
I started a new topic called "Abandoned Shipwrecks" to provide an answer for Ozzie and Tom.