Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Abandoned Shipwreck

Posted by FloridaBob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Abandoned Shipwreck
August 17, 2011 02:49PM
I'm making a separate topic based on a question from Ozzie that I know will stimulate a lot of discussion. Here is the Abandoned Shipwreck Act of 1987. This United States Code (USC) allows the States to manage these sites accordingly as Florida has chosen to do at the local and site specific level. Like it or not...it's the law. It is always being challenged in state and federal courts but remains intact. Worth the quick read:

[www.nps.gov]

Bob
Re: Abandoned Shipwreck
August 18, 2011 01:40AM
Golden Rule; he who has the gold makes all the rules.
So, If I'm in ankel deep low tide water metal detecting at Sebastian Inlet or Melbourne Beach (site specific) without a treasure lease, I'm breaking he law?
August 18, 2011 02:49AM
If you happen to be in a leased area (by the way, there are no obvious signs or markers) and are standing above the water line in wet sand, and your coil is in 1 inch of water you are subject to prosecution. If you or any equipment is in the water you are subject to prosecution. And the old saying "ignorance is no excuse for knowing the law" is in full force at these sites. You can expect to pay dearly. Just stick to above the water line, wet sand, dry sand up to the dune line and you will be fine.
August 18, 2011 10:48AM
So, getting this straight. Stay out of the dunes and the water, machine and all. Best time to hunt = low tide or follow the tide out. Correct?
Thanks Bob.
August 18, 2011 11:54PM
You have it right Ozzie. Follow the rule as you mentioned it and you will be fine. Follow the tide out...and then back to maximize your hunt time. Let me clarify the dune line. Although it may appear obvious some of the vegetation that creeps from the dune down onto the beach can be considered a part of the dune structure. This vegetation aids in erosion control so steer clear of any vegetation associated with the dune as well.

Our beaches are HIT CONSTANTLY (24x7x365) just for the reason you want to hunt it. Every vacationer has dreams of finding silver and gold and they should since that is half the fun of the hobby...the unknown and the hope. Often at the right time of year you will see the treasure salvage boats or jack-ups just offshore working a site. You will surely see some old timers hunting when you are. We're a friendly bunch here so don't hesitate to ask if they are familiar with the local site you happen to be on and any regards to an active lease. You can tell a serious hunter from a weekend wannabe......judge their response accordingly and you may just be able to dip your coil and your toe in the ocean of treasure. Be sure to let us know how your trip went.

Sending good thoughts your way for an experience of a lifetime!

Bob
August 19, 2011 12:44AM
Thanks a million Bob. You have been very kind sharing your knowlege, looking foreward to visiting your State.

Sincerely,
ozzie
August 19, 2011 12:55AM
Bob..........smacks of Eminent Domain laws..........grrrrrrrrr