Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Legend vs equinox 700/900 for beach

Posted by adamBomb 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Legend vs equinox 700/900 for beach
June 22, 2023 01:47PM
Currently in the market for a new machine and considering the legend, or Nox 700 or 900. Current machine is a equinox 600 that's served me well for 5 years. My oldest wants to start detecting with me so I am giving it to him and getting myself a new one.

I am a saltwater beach hunter only in NC. The equinox 600 was fine, the 800 would have added nothing to my style of hunting. I assume that's going to be more of the same with the 700 vs 900?

What interests me about the 700/900 is the dP setting in beach modes. Seems like this is the tone the old CZ21s/Exacal all metal was? I hated the ctx/eqx for not having it. So assuming thats the case, this really interests me. Looks like the legend has a similar tone called Tone pitch too.

This sort of narrows me down to the 700 vs Legend unless I'm missing something the 900 does. My biggest concern is depth, finding small gold, and ability to run the machine hot on a saltwater beach. I can get sens up to 23 on a good day with my nox 600. No EMI. My beaches are not trashy (at least where I hunt).

Anyone have any recommendations?

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2023 01:48PM by adamBomb.
JCR
Re: Legend vs equinox 700/900 for beach
June 22, 2023 02:22PM
If you have any extra coils for the Equinox that would be the logical way to go. Either machine should serve you well. I use the Legend on inland sites and am well pleased with it. No experience with the Equinox or Beach.

Chris
June 22, 2023 02:51PM
JCR
If you have any extra coils for the Equinox that would be the logical way to go.

Yea if I had coils it would be Nox hands down. As far as price they are only about $90 difference between the legend and 700. I know the Nox works well on the beach...but I guess Im just not sure if the legend is worse, as good, or better...

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
June 22, 2023 03:18PM
adamBomb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Currently in the market for a new machine and cons
> idering the legend, or Nox 700 or 900. Current mac
> hine is a equinox 600 that's served me well for 5
> years. My oldest wants to start detecting with me
> so I am giving it to him and getting myself a new
> one.
>
> I am a saltwater beach hunter only in NC. The equi
> nox 600 was fine, the 800 would have added nothing
> to my style of hunting. I assume that's going to b
> e more of the same with the 700 vs 900?
>
> What interests me about the 700/900 is the dP sett
> ing in beach modes. Seems like this is the tone th
> e old CZ21s/Exacal all metal was? I hated the ctx/
> eqx for not having it. So assuming thats the case,
> this really interests me. Looks like the legend ha
> s a similar tone called Tone pitch too.
>
> This sort of narrows me down to the 700 vs Legend
> unless I'm missing something the 900 does. My bigg
> est concern is depth, finding small gold, and abil
> ity to run the machine hot on a saltwater beach. I
> can get sens up to 23 on a good day with my nox 60
> 0. No EMI. My beaches are not trashy (at least whe
> re I hunt).
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?

Yes, I have a recommendation. If you do not submerge your machine, get a used Equinox 800. There are advantages to the TID scale and may be more stable than the new series. You are mistaken there are no advantages over the 600. There are a few secondary adjustments that may help in certain conditions. Especially if you can run 22-23 senstivity.
June 22, 2023 07:25PM
midalake
There are advantages to the TID scale and may be more stable than the new series

I am a beep and dig detectorist grinning smiley. I dig everything above 1 so I don't really use the numbers at all.

midalake
get a used Equinox 800

I would assume with the 700/900 dP setting that the 600/800 shouldn't even really be recommended anymore...especially for the beach. dP should be a huge upgrade on the 700 vs the 800.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2023 10:10PM by adamBomb.
June 22, 2023 11:33PM
adamBomb Wrote:
>
midalake
> There are advantages to the TID scale and may be m
> ore stable than the new series
>
>
> I am a beep and dig detectorist grinning smiley. I dig everythi
> ng above 1 so I don't really use the numbers at al
> l.
>
>
midalake
> get a used Equinox 800
>
>
> I would assume with the 700/900 dP setting that th
> e 600/800 shouldn't even really be recommended any
> more...especially for the beach. dP should be a hu
> ge upgrade on the 700 vs the 800.

You won't be a beep and dig detectorist when in your 60's. There is ZERO reason to dig one piece of iron with an Equinox 600 or 800, EVER! So it is possible the 600 is too advanced for you?

dp? Like a pitch setting? The Beach Pitch setting on Deus 2 I consider the worst setting to hunt a beach in>So there is that.
June 23, 2023 12:00AM
midalake
dp? Like a pitch setting?

Have you actually used any of these machines?

From NASA-Tom: [www.dankowskidetectors.com]

NASA-Tom

This 'dp' Depth Audio is a all metal type of audio......virtually identical to Manticore's Prospecting Audio. For the serious wet-salt beach hunter........ it's a game-changer in regards to allowing higher Sens settings in the wet-salt.........audibly understanding wet-salt aberration's in/with the sand........VS.........real targets.............and simplifying Ferrous........VS........non-Ferrous types of targets.

June 23, 2023 01:12AM
adamBomb Wrote:
>
midalake
> dp? Like a pitch setting?
>
>
> Have you actually used any of these machines?
>
> From NASA-Tom: [www.dankowskidetectors.com]
> discussions/read.php?2,187263,187263#msg-187263
>
>
NASA-Tom
>
> This 'dp' Depth Audio is a all metal type of audio
> ......virtually identical to Manticore's Prospecti
> ng Audio. For the serious wet-salt beach hunter...
> ..... it's a game-changer in regards to allowing h
> igher Sens settings in the wet-salt.........audibl
> y understanding wet-salt aberration's in/with the
> sand........VS.........real targets.............an
> d simplifying Ferrous........VS........non-Ferrous
> types of targets.
>

I have not tried the 700/900. But have heard plenty of complaints.
[www.detectorprospector.com]

Personally, I cannot take recommendations from anyone who hunts a snow-white beach. My results will be very different.
Heck I see you own an ExcalII. It is very deep if set-up correctly. Why not just beep and dig with that? That Excal ll has the best all metal mode ever made!
Also, I do not know of one beach hunter who replaced their Deus2 or Manticore with a 700/900 Equinox.
In conclusion, I have tested the 800nox, Deus2 and Manticore. I own the 800 and the D2. I understand each machines capabilities in my location. Right now, I will not be buying any new machines.

Also, the 900's ability was outlined in the thread you quoted. BEACH = Manticore is leaps-and-bounds above EQX platform ....on the beach.
EQX-900 = 13.8" on a Nickel ....in the wet-salt.
Manticore = 15.8" on a Nickel....in the wet-salt.

An Equinox 800 is a worthy opponent running sensitivity of 23 in Horseshoe mode on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2023 02:40AM by midalake.
June 24, 2023 03:07AM
Not sure who would go to a beach, dig a 15.8 inch hole just to bury a nickel and then try to hit it with a metal detector? Lol.. Hell,if that person was going to the beach to play I'm thinking a plastic bucket and shovel woulda been alot cheaper than a minelab manicore ..lmao
June 27, 2023 12:24PM
Woodbutcher........ that person ....would be ME.
I am the crazy person that can (irrefutably/definitively) tell you that a:
EQX-900 with stock 11" coil will ascertain a Nickel in wet-salt to 13.8" deep.
Manticore with 8" M8 coil will ascertain a Nickel in wet-salt to 14.0" deep.
Both units: apples-to-apples configured.

BUT........ I suppose this data is totally useless to the General Public............. and is totally useless to the Engineering & Development World. There's no need to have concrete data.
June 27, 2023 01:05PM
NASA TOM is,as usual, RIGHT ON !!Mental curiosity is a strange thing--absent to some.
June 27, 2023 01:07PM
NASA-Tom
I am the crazy person that can (irrefutably/definitively) tell you that a:
EQX-900 with stock 11" coil will ascertain a Nickel in wet-salt to 13.8" deep.
Manticore with 8" M8 coil will ascertain a Nickel in wet-salt to 14.0" deep.
Both units: apples-to-apples configured.

We should have so much of this type of data it should make our heads explode but I feel like very few provide it. I see tons of youtube tests/read the forums and very few do a good job of trying to provide this kind of info. I am glad you provide it...one of the reasons I've been reading this forum for so many years even though I don't post too often...

I did end up ordering the Nox700. Decided that it would be a good upgrade for me in my case. 900/Manticore were above my price range. I may actually get a Legend as well to do some tests, I am very curious about that machine!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2023 01:09PM by adamBomb.
June 27, 2023 07:26PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Woodbutcher........ that person ....would be ME.
> I am the crazy person that can (irrefutably/defini
> tively) tell you that a:
> EQX-900 with stock 11" coil will ascertain a Nicke
> l in wet-salt to 13.8" deep.
> Manticore with 8" M8 coil will ascertain a Nickel
> in wet-salt to 14.0" deep.
> Both units: apples-to-apples configured.
>
> BUT........ I suppose this data is totally useless
> to the General Public............. and is totally
> useless to the Engineering & Development World. T
> here's no need to have concrete data.

Makes sense to me now, your a engineer in this hobbie field ,so that's totally normal. I thought some weekend warrior like myself went and bought a manicure,found a nickel and drove to the beach to do a seeded hunt..lol.. best of luck in your tests