Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Real World Techniques Beach and Swimming Hole Hunting

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Real World Techniques Beach and Swimming Hole Hunting
July 09, 2023 01:28PM
After watching the video several times I think I know but here is the question:

On any particular beach you should only need to locate the high density trough one time, correct?

Since gold and lead are high density items and won't move very much from where lost, then once a high density trough is located it should not change. In other words, I'm hoping to beach hunt for 5 days this year and I'm lucky to find a high density trough the I should have to locate it again. But hunt the trough parallel to the water up and down the beach.
Re: Real World Techniques Beach and Swimming Hole Hunting
July 10, 2023 01:21AM
IF there is a high-density trough (sometimes.....there's not!)....... yes, focus there. On rare occasions ....... there may be more than one high-density trough.

A high-density trough may change location (on the slope)........ from day-to-day. One day.......it may be located somewhere within the top 1/3 of the wet-slope.........near/almost on the dry-sand towel/blanket line. Another day....... it may be located on the bottom 1/3 of the slope........near (or even IN) the water/waters-edge.

Remember......... more gold is lost IN the water.......over any other area on the beach. A day whereby...there is a exceptionally low ebb tide....... "IN the water" may now be exposed.....and be a part of the bottom of the (exposed) wet-slope. BUT........ even though gold may be lost anywhere on the beach (most: IN the water)......... the only concern is: finding the area(s) where the sand is hard, HARD sand....................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that can support the weight of gold items! You may be eager to hunt where 90% of the gold is lost; yet, the sandy bottom may be as 'supportive' as Cool-Whip///whipped-cream! Gold will sink right through this!!!
July 10, 2023 10:09AM
What video are you referencing?
July 10, 2023 03:16PM
Been studying the new Real World Techniques Beach and Swimming Hole Hunting. Well, maybe not new but the latest from Tom.
July 11, 2023 10:56AM
If you come off of the Discussion Forum....... and go to the home-page of this Web-Site......,,,,,,, the DVD is the one that is advertised on the home-page.
July 12, 2023 11:26AM
Gotcha. Thanks
July 12, 2023 01:13PM
markg Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
>
> On any particular beach you should only need to lo
> cate the high density trough one time, correct?
>
> Since gold and lead are high density items and won
> 't move very much from where lost, then once a hig
> h density trough is located it should not change.
> In other words,

It is in my 25 year beach experience that the high-density trough is actually in the water where the wave curl resides most of the time.

By hunting low tide, and hoping for special water hydraulic conditions, will one be thrown a tid-bit ever so often.
How rare are these conditions where a true trough will be on the slope? Last year for my four-month hunting season I can say that it did not happen once.
If it does occur>>>>Don't stop, it can be gone in under 24hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2023 01:32AM by midalake.
July 12, 2023 04:14PM
midalake........ good report/documentation!

Here in Central Florida, ....East Coast........................... Nominal waves are 3-5 feet.,.,.,.,.,.,., so....... water hunting CAN be done; yet, you are getting battered/slammed around rather rigorously. It is difficult to hunt the water. Sooooooooo.......... I/we are nearly incarcerated to hunting the wet slope. At low tide........ the average wet-slope size...... varies between 60-feet to 135-feet of "wet slope". You are ABSOLUTELY correct in that........ if you find a high-density target(s) trough/section of the wet-slope............... it is usually GONE!!!.....in 24 hours. Actually......... it is usually GONE in one (12-hour) tide cycle. It is common/easy to find one (sometimes two) low-density troughs; yet, the medium density (coins) trough........,,,,,,,,,,,,and especially: the high-density (gold) trough(s) are the most rare ...... out of the 3 types of density stratification troughs. The DVD/video shows a sampling of all 3 types of troughs. (((Lest I admit to how MANY different-days///video-shoots it took....to "capture" a small window of "high-density trough"))) !!!

The BIGGEST "takeaway" is: Just be aware of DENSITY!!! (((All of the other beach hunting tips///clues///data....... will auto-intuitively: FILL IN)))!!!
July 13, 2023 02:25PM
Is the reason the trough may be gone is a 12 hour period because of the sand being deposited over the site?
Since the heavy item basically don't move (according to the video) I guess that is the reason.
So if the heavy trough is there one day, it will still be there but too deep to detect, correct?
July 13, 2023 08:39PM
Thats correct. Think of sand as constantly in motion. A 'river of sand' if you will. Sometimes it pauses its journey for a bit (minutes, days weeks, years), but sometimes it moves FAST as in a storm/current event.
July 14, 2023 01:29AM
Mark.......... In a 12-hour period......,,,,,,,........you have incurred another low-tide.......and another high-tide. During the high-tide period......... new silt/sand can be (mother-nature) brought back in......and deposited on top of the existing sand......thusly burying objects even deeper. --- AND/OR. The harmonics/frequency of the wave-action (during the high-tide) can wet/loosen the sand......... whereby: heavier objects may sink deeper. Then....... when the water recedes (goes back to a low-tide condition)........ the sand may dehydrate/dry-out and 'harden back up'. If you hunt the same area 12-hours later......... you could easily (mistakenly) think: The sand is just as hard as it was before. , . , . , . , . , . how could any object have sunk even deeper.

The only motion gold makes....... is: DOWN!
Unless it is filigree gold (light, wirey, hollow)...... where........ it is of lower density-per-displacement...................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and CAN 'travel'.