Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Problems viewing this website properly...

Posted by steveg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Problems viewing this website properly...
August 14, 2023 06:06PM
I know others have brought this up before, but I currently can't view this site "properly" in Microsoft Edge on my new laptop. It renders properly in Edge on my old laptop, AND it renders properly in Google Chrome, but BOTH browsers notet that the connection is "not secure." THIS is the problem, and I am not sure what can be adjusted in Edge to allow the site to render properly.

This is ANOTHER reason that this website/forum needs to be updated, desperately...

Anyone have any ideas?

Steve
Re: Problems viewing this website properly...
August 14, 2023 07:06PM
"Anyone have any ideas?"
If you have some PC skills, you could try using the 'developer diagnostics' that is included ( I think ) with Edge. The most likely issue is going to be the 'css' style sheets. Your browser sees them as 'insecure' , and fails to load them as a result. This then makes the page layout look like it's from 1985 ... no fonts, just default plain text, nothing appearing in the right place etc etc.
My Firefox puts up this warning when developer tools are used:
"Loading mixed (insecure) active content "h t t p://www . dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/css.php?2,css" on a secure page"
My browser is set up to allow 'mixed content' ( for this site, anyway ), so it's flagged as a warning, but the css still loads, and the page appears fairly OK, though not perfect.
One telltale sign of mixed content problems is the Kitconnect gold price charts at the bottom of the page. If they are missing, that's because they are from a http address, not https.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2023 07:14PM by Pimento.
August 15, 2023 01:37AM
Thanks, Pimento.

That gives me some clues. I'll see what I can do with the Edge browser on my new laptop. Strangely, on the old laptop (the one I'm using now), where the Edge browser WILL display things properly, I checked in settings, and I specifically have set "dankowskidetectors.com" to allow "insecure content." However, I don't recall how I added the site to the list, i.e. how I altered the site permissions for this particular site (such that it is showing up in my list of sites that I've altered the permissions for).

I'll see what I can do with it...

Thanks!

Steve
August 15, 2023 02:39AM
Steve........ EVERY time I log onto this site........ I have to log in via: "New IN PRIVATE window".,.,.,.,.,., which can be found by clicking on the 3-dots in the upper Right-Hand corner of your screen.
This is the ONLY methodology that I have found........ that allows for normal format display.
August 15, 2023 03:56AM
NASA-Tom, I'll give that a try...

Thank you!

Steve
August 15, 2023 12:11PM
Let me know if you find it................... AND................ (I think) there is a caveat. The first several times I tried it.......... it would ONLY work if I manually typed out the full web-site address. After a dozen times.........then (and only then) could I click on the auto-populate short-cut address that would show up...when I would start to type the web-site addy.
August 15, 2023 04:24PM
Hi all,

I got it to work. I had to go into settings, and under the "site permissions" section, under the "insecure content" sub-header, I had to manually add this site's URL, so as to "allow" insecure content. Now, the page renders properly. Thank you, Pimento.

NASA-Tom, the trick of using an InPrivate window did NOT work for me; only when I edited the site permissions for this site, could I get it to work.

Thanks all!

Steve
August 16, 2023 12:12AM
Great to see you've sorted out the solution.
August 16, 2023 01:16AM
Steve........ understand! I'm just glad that....... in the end....... it all worked out!
August 16, 2023 11:04AM
Holy Smokes!! I just tried the new In Private window and it transformed this website into something I have not seen here in years. Very refreshing to see and read topics in a modern format. Thanks Tom for pointing out the 3 dots!
August 16, 2023 02:46PM
You're welcome! Good to know it's working for some folks!!!
August 16, 2023 03:30PM
Does logging into the In Private Window now make the site secure?
August 16, 2023 10:28PM
No......... I do not think so.
August 17, 2023 01:36AM
The webmaster is the one to fix that problem.
August 23, 2023 11:18PM
As Tom can attest I was unable to get this forum to work for what seemed like a couple of months!

I am now able to view or comment from my iPad but still unable to get on from my desktop Mac?!?
August 24, 2023 03:41PM
Ron......... I'm just glad that you have 'some' access to the forum.
Security settings seem to be one of the major factors/problems with accessing this web-site.