Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Analog -vs- Digital

Posted by JCR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
JCR
Analog -vs- Digital
August 24, 2023 07:24PM
What are the differences in both potential capability AND real world performance between the two methods of processing a target signal?
I know about the difference in audio details.
It seems digital would have more controllability. W hat is it missing that analog provides.

As far as the Nexus MP units, there is something more than just Analog going on. Must be a Bulgarian thing.

Chris
Re: Analog -vs- Digital
August 25, 2023 12:45AM
JCR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are the differences in both potential capabil
> ity AND real world performance between the two met
> hods of processing a target signal?
> I know about the difference in audio details.
> It seems digital would have more controllability.
> W hat is it missing that analog provides.
>
> As far as the Nexus MP units, there is something
> more than just Analog going on. Must be a Bulgaria
> n thing.

My preference for Analog is: I can set the sensitivity and threshold settings better than digital.
August 25, 2023 12:55PM
You mention that digital detectors have more control-ability, but they take much of what you can control out of your hands through filters. With analog, the filters are gone. Also, the digital detectors have been shown not the exceed good analogs in their vaunted unmasking and recovery speed. I think it’s all about real world performance and deciding what you’d rather have. This long time digital guy is getting more and more analog due to performance.
August 25, 2023 03:03PM
Tom and others on this forum can explain the reasons why better than I can, but analog is less susceptible to EMI issues than digital.
August 25, 2023 06:54PM
You guys are bringing up some valid points.
Digital algorithms can do some really superior stuff.......that analog is not privy to.
BUT........ analog has hair-splitting control abilities........ especially with old-fashioned vernier dials/controls.
Analog usually requires more battery-power........ which (in general) can create a lower susceptibility to EMI
There can be a lot of filters in analog; but, yes. You may have selectable control over the employment of filters/multiple layer (stacked) filters.