Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dirt Reading and History of Site

Posted by Bayard 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dirt Reading and History of Site
October 02, 2023 05:08PM
During the last ten years, I have found over 500 silver coins in old parks and baseball diamonds. I mainly use an Etrac, although I also have an Equinox for finding masked coins.

Over the years, I have observed what I think is a strange pattern. It is not unusual that I will hunt an old park with four or more baseball diamonds, and only one small area in only one of the baseball diamonds will produce silver coins. This causes me to wonder: 1) did other people hunt this site thoroughly and just happen to miss this small area, 2) has this site been bulldozed and the productive small area was either untouched or conversely had silver coins deposited there by the bulldozer, or 3) is the sink rate somehow lower in the small productive area for some reason and the silver coins are just too deep to hear everywhere else on the site?

Is there a way to know what actually has happened? It is especially perplexing on these sites when silver coins, in the small area, are at comparable depth to relatively recent clad coins on the remainder of the site.
JCR
Re: Dirt Reading and History of Site
October 02, 2023 06:09PM
I have often wished for the ability to "see" an old site as it was before it was disturbed by all of our modern "improvements". To better understand the often perplexing changes that have occurred. Resources like Historic Aerials & maps help, but get on the ground and it is often a puzzled mess.

Chris
Re: Dirt Reading and History of Site
October 03, 2023 12:21AM
This is a topic that I usually give training on.

Here in Florida..... I look for medium gray, light gray....... or bone-white sandy soil. All 3 types of these soils .... are very dense ..... and exceptionally inorganic. Where grass is having a hard time growing....... the sink-rate is minimal. Not much foliage to present one of the primary causes of 'sink-rate'.