Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

For Wally (forum issues)...

Posted by steveg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
For Wally (forum issues)...
October 30, 2023 11:31AM
I have been having a number of issues (of different sorts) with the functionality of this forum for a long time; friends that cannot get signed up despite multiple attempts, frequent error messages when posting messages, difficulties with security settings not allowing the page to display/render properly, etc.

These issues, plus just the overall very "dated" look and functionality of the forum (the difficulties for many to post pictures, etc. etc.), seem to be causing the forum to remain in a slow/steady decline.

This is very unfortunate, as the forum provides a truly unique place for us to gather -- unique in large part due to the much-appreciated willingness of our host (NASA-Tom) to freely and consistently share his incredible, wide-ranging, deep knowledge of all things detecting. This, plus his unique hands-off, "free-speech" approach to moderating the forum, has allowed this to be a most valuable resource, and one that I would REALLY like to see continue, well into the future.

But, for this forum to continue, and hopefully grow into something better, and more user-friendly (and thus, regain some lost popularity), I believe that an overhaul of the forum, including an upgrade to a much new version of the "Phorum" software that powers this forum, is needed. I would like to respectfully ask that you consider such an upgrade, OR, if you are willing, to allow another person or persons who may be able/willing to do so, to become involved with an eye toward implementing such an upgrade. While I don't have those skills myself, I know some who do, and I would think there are others on the forum who also have those skills, and would be willing to invest some time/energy/resources into such an upgrade.

Would you PLEASE consider my humble request, with an eye toward hopefully breathing some new life into the forum?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Steve
Re: For Wally (forum issues)...
October 30, 2023 11:33AM
Wally,

IRONICALLY, I received an error message WHEN I TRIED TO POST THE ABOVE MESSAGE...

Here is the content of the error message. Again, this is just one example of the issues with the forum, in its current state...

Phorum Database Error
Sorry, a Phorum database error occurred.
Please try again later!

Error:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'groups, phorum_user_group_xref AS usergroup, pho' at line 4 (1064): SELECT DISTINCT user.user_id AS user_id, user.email AS email FROM phorum_users AS user, phorum_groups AS groups, phorum_user_group_xref AS usergroup, phorum_forum_group_xref AS forumgroup WHERE user.user_id = usergroup.user_id AND usergroup.group_id = groups.group_id AND groups.group_id = forumgroup.group_id AND forum_id = 2 AND permission & 64 > 0 AND usergroup.status >= 1 AND user.moderation_email = 1

Backtrace:
Function phorum_database_error called at
{path to Phorum}/include/db/mysql/mysqli.php:212
----
Function phorum_db_interact called at
{path to Phorum}/include/db/mysql.php:3118
----
Function phorum_db_user_get_moderators called at
{path to Phorum}/include/api/user.php:3165
----
Function phorum_api_user_list_moderators called at
{path to Phorum}/include/email_functions.php:384
----
Function phorum_email_moderators called at
{path to Phorum}/include/posting/action_post.php:292
----
Function include called at
{path to Phorum}/posting.php:595
----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2023 11:34AM by steveg.
October 30, 2023 12:35PM
This is my test to see if I can post a response to the thread.
JCR
October 30, 2023 02:04PM
I agree Steve & would gladly contribute funds to that end.

Chris
October 30, 2023 11:10PM
okara gold -- it worked; did you also get the error message?

JCR -- I would contribute as well...

Steve
October 31, 2023 12:14AM
I don't contribute much to this forum but I read this forum every day and I would also contribute funds, great forum.
October 31, 2023 01:14AM
Detecta -- thanks for your response. I'm hoping our sentiments hold sway with Wally...
October 31, 2023 03:37PM
I don't believe his forum will ever change for the better. We've been complaining for years and it's only getting worse. The population is way down because of the antique technology. Got to spend to make . . . .no other way around it. Annoying.
October 31, 2023 08:58PM
I also would contribute to the overhaul cost.
November 01, 2023 10:56PM
I'm uncertain if 'cost' is a primary factor. I (somewhat) feel it's a 'time' issue.
Let's see if Wally sees this..... and responds.
Yes....... I agree,.,.,., this site needs multiple changes.
November 02, 2023 03:23PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm uncertain if 'cost' is a primary factor. I (so
> mewhat) feel it's a 'time' issue.
> Let's see if Wally sees this..... and responds.
> Yes....... I agree,.,.,., this site needs multiple
> changes.

Tom----I see you just broke 10,000 posts----CONGRATULATIONS!
November 02, 2023 08:40PM
Del....... OMG!!!! I NEVER noticed!!!!!

And....... the irony of the post being on a thread that is pleading for forum/resurrection/resuscitation/CPR!!!!!!
November 09, 2023 12:42PM
Wally. HELP! Are you seeing this thread yet?
November 11, 2023 05:34PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Wally. HELP! Are you seeing this thread yet?

Maybe that's why there are issues.
November 20, 2023 08:36AM
I talked to Wally (Web-Master) last night. He thinks he'll have the time to look into the multitude of forum problems........ probably tonight.
November 21, 2023 06:21PM
NASA-Tom,

Wow. That is GREAT news. A newer version of the Phorum software would be a definite solution, for essentially all of the issues. I would love to see this forum updated to current Phorum software...

Hopefully, Wally will consider that.

Thanks!

Steve
November 22, 2023 02:19AM
Steve......... agree.

Also = Wally just finished fixing a few bugs on this forum. So I'm 'testing' if I still get a failure message ....when I post something. Here goes!
November 22, 2023 02:30AM
NASA-Tom, I am posting to see if I get an error message, as well...I'll report back after posting this...

Steve
November 22, 2023 02:31AM
OK, so it posted, but I still got the error message (which is what has been happening)...

Here is the error message I got...

Phorum Database Error
Sorry, a Phorum database error occurred.
Please try again later!
Error:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'groups, phorum_user_group_xref AS usergroup, pho' at line 4 (1064): SELECT DISTINCT user.user_id AS user_id, user.email AS email FROM phorum_users AS user, phorum_groups AS groups, phorum_user_group_xref AS usergroup, phorum_forum_group_xref AS forumgroup WHERE user.user_id = usergroup.user_id AND usergroup.group_id = groups.group_id AND groups.group_id = forumgroup.group_id AND forum_id = 2 AND permission & 64 > 0 AND usergroup.status >= 1 AND user.moderation_email = 1
Backtrace:
Function phorum_database_error called at
{path to Phorum}/include/db/mysql/mysqli.php:212
----
Function phorum_db_interact called at
{path to Phorum}/include/db/mysql.php:3118
----
Function phorum_db_user_get_moderators called at
{path to Phorum}/include/api/user.php:3165
----
Function phorum_api_user_list_moderators called at
{path to Phorum}/include/email_functions.php:384
----
Function phorum_email_moderators called at
{path to Phorum}/include/posting/action_post.php:292
----
Function include called at
{path to Phorum}/posting.php:595
----
November 22, 2023 02:39AM
Still not a secure site.
November 22, 2023 03:02AM
The bottom line is this, I'm afraid...

WE NEED THE FORUM TO BE UPGRADED TO THE NEWEST VERSION OF THE PHORUM SOFTWARE. There are just so many issues with this forum that would be corrected with a new, updated version of the "Phorum" software. As just a few examples...folks wanting to "sign up" for the forum could actually do so, without having to involve Wally; posting of pictures and videos would be a MUCH easier process (and would help bring "new life" to the fourm); we could open a couple of sub-forums (perhaps a "for sale" forum so that threads for sale items aren't posted within the "main forum"), etc. etc.. And beyond these things, just the overall, updated appearance and feel of the newest version of the Phorum software would make this site much more user-friendly and familiar-feeling to those of us who frequent other forums as well.

On top of this, so many of the errors and problems that occur, along with the poor "rendering" of the page that so many of us experience (which has been discussed here often and which occurs due to an incompatibility between the very dated version of the Phorum software currently in use, and the new/modern internet/browser security protocols), is a large part of what seems to have driven away alot of members or potential members, and I fear that this trend will only continue unless a process is initiated to update/modernize the forum software.

As I noted, I'll do whatever I am able to help this transition occur. I feel strongly about it, as I feel that it's really a shame that the forum becomes decreasingly active with time. After all, this is a very unique forum -- and its longevity speaks to that. I've been posting here for nearly 13 years, and there are many that have been here much longer than that. There is nowhere else on the internet where such a collection of great minds have gathered, and posted countless thoughts, ponderings, instructions, experiences, etc. So many of the conversations that are, and have been, had here, are TOP NOTCH. This of course starts with NASA-Tom -- an absolute GEM in terms of both his depth of knowledge and his willingness to share that knowledge.

But beyond just our "host," this forum has also benefitted tremendously from the incredible number of posts from so many others over the years -- both engineering-types of folks (Carl Moreland, and in days past, Dave Johnson, along with so many others), as well as others that are incredibly passionate about the hobby, and who possess (and have shared) immense amounts of knowledge and experience (Keith Southern, Steve Herschbach, among many, many others). All of these folks, and COUNTLESS others, have posted SO MUCH incredible information here. As a result, this forum is a repository for SO MUCH COLLECTIVE KNOWLEDGE, and it would be a travesty to see it all just "disappear." I have learned SO MUCH about the hobby from this forum, and those who share here, and to this day I often will search back through old posts, to recall previous posts where important information was shared -- even many years ago. While Facebook groups and YouTube have become so popular with detectorists these days, and those media sites obviously have their place, nothing can beat the "forum" style, for accumulating information over time -- information that can be easily retrieved through a simple search.

Bottom line, there are SO MANY that have invested SO MUCH into the collective "treasure trove" of information that exists here, and I would simply HATE to see this go by the wayside -- ESPECIALLY if a primary reason was simply OUT-OF-DATE, BARELY FUNCTIONING FORUM SOFTWARE...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2023 03:03AM by steveg.
November 24, 2023 08:26PM
Steve.......... those are a lot of valid points. Yes........ I would venture to guess........... if there are recent/more updates that are specific to Phorum software......... it may help a bunch. Maybe not everything; yet, a formidable gain/improvement. Let's just hope Wally has the time to read this thread. I know he's busy.

In the meantime...... our posts are still being 'doubled' ...... to include the consistent error message....anytime you try to post anything.
JCR
November 24, 2023 09:50PM
I have been Previewing my Posts, then hitting the Post message button. When the Error comes up, I just close the entire Web page with the Error showing. My Post will be displayed just one time when I get back on the site late. Same for Logging out, just Exit & it works. Cumbersome though.

Chris
November 26, 2023 12:24PM
Yes. Each time I make a post. . . . I get the fatal error message. Then........ I have to completely log-off the forum. , . , . , . , and start all over.
November 26, 2023 02:40PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Yes. Each time I make a post. . . . I get the fata
> l error message. Then........ I have to completely
> log-off the forum. , . , . , . , and start all over
The same thing happens with me, I also get this message when logging in
The information you’re about to submit is not secure
Because this form is being submitted using a connection that’s not secure, your information will be visible to others. I get the same message when making or replying to a post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2023 02:48PM by SkiWhiz.
November 26, 2023 06:22PM
Those are the problems I messaged Tom about earlier this year in May and I know he notified Wally of the.