Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ3D at Florida Beach

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ3D at Florida Beach
August 19, 2011 01:04AM
Hi all,
99.99% of my hunting is inland for old coinage. Been to the Jersey shore with other detectors a couple times, but not with the cz3d.
What's the best set up for the cz3d @ Florida beaches or any salt water beach? I have a 10" and a 8" coil. My discrim mode is deeper than all metal on this 1021. I need some pointers, thanks.
Re: CZ3D at Florida Beach
August 19, 2011 01:39AM
Wet salt slope (and shallow water). Large 10.5" coil only. If unit is stable with Sens on '5' or greater...... do so. Grnd bal not required. Disc on '0'. "Salt" mode. Dig EVERYTHING that is non-ferrous...... ESPECIALLY 'FOIL'. (I even dig the iron).
August 19, 2011 02:10AM
Hey Ozzie, I too have the CZ-3D smiling smiley Just like you, until recently I never tried it at the beach. And I also live in NJ as well. So, got up the nerve to give it a spin on the golden sands. The CZ is an amazing unit on the beach, but, to be very candid, I couldn't hunt comfortably with it. Not only is it heavy (feels WAY heavier on the beach do to walking in the sand), it was a MAJOR feat just to keep the unit dry from splashes & rogue waves. I had a few close (too close) calls that made me vow never to use it in the wet again. BUT, yes - yes - yes, if you're willing to take the chance, it is a GREAT beach hunter smiling smiley Signals are loud, clear & crisp. Hope you have a good scoop, I was repeatedly digging holes 8" to 14" deep in the wet sand. It really IS one of the best beach units out there...IF you are enough of a risk taker bringing it near the water. If the water is calm, no prob. I wouldn't get to close to where the waves break though, but, that's just me. Dry sand you will have no problem obviously. Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2011 02:11AM by njnydigger.
August 19, 2011 03:23AM
In the wet slope and water I agree with Tom...DIG EVERYTHING.
August 20, 2011 12:52AM
Thanks guys!!, just what I needed.
August 20, 2011 01:22PM
My only experience is N.J. saltwater beaches and several models of CZ's excelled on them.

Larger coil sure covered more ground but stock 8 handled the enviroment better...want to hunt the water and waves get a CZ21 as salt water and detectors don't mix and one wave or trip and fall and your unit is gonzo.

Above all do dig all and concentrate on the foil region as thats the hotspot for thin gold womans rings with perhaps a nice stone...

As far as weight and comfort they do hipmount-chestmount well so certainly an option....
August 20, 2011 02:24PM
hip/ chest mount with a double layer of zip loc bags
August 22, 2011 10:43AM
I have adapted a nice " tool belt " & keep the control box in it. Really cuts down on the weight & helps me to be able to hunt much longer.
August 23, 2011 10:51PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wet salt slope (and shallow water). Large 10.5"
> coil only. If unit is stable with Sens on '5' or
> greater...... do so. Grnd bal not required. Disc
> on '0'. "Salt" mode. Dig EVERYTHING that is
> non-ferrous...... ESPECIALLY 'FOIL'. (I even dig
> the iron).

Hi Tom. You say Grnd bal not required? I haven't done much beach detecting yet but had always assumed you would ground balance the unit. If you don't grnd bal what setting do you use or does it matter when hunting those conditions?
August 24, 2011 12:02AM
In Florida...... the beaches are sans minerals; hence, no Grnd Bal required. Other beaches may require Grnd Bal...........but........... if you are hunting in all-metal......... you may want to see if Grnd Bal gives more electronic stability........ or alters depth performance.
August 24, 2011 11:19AM
I was wondering the same as Jeff. So you are saying it dosen't matter what number the GB is on and the GB procedure isn't necessary?
August 24, 2011 11:58AM
Correct. If you bob the coil...... and acquire no ground response........... then............ the position of the Grnd Bal is (nearly) a moot point. On the CZ platform............ I would still recommend keeping the Grnd Bal on '10'.......... as this position is slightly more sensitive to gold.
August 24, 2011 12:21PM
Clear now, Thanks Tom