Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The latest version of Phorum has been uploaded !

Posted by wildwally1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The latest version of Phorum has been uploaded !
December 07, 2023 07:24AM
I hope this solves all this issues the site has had lately. this site looks a little different, I will tweak and fine tune in the coming weeks. This is my first post since the reload, I hope it works...
Re: The latest version of Phorum has been uploaded !
December 07, 2023 07:56AM
There still seems to be a database issue (?). I'll keep working...
December 07, 2023 08:02AM
There still seems to be an issue with the database. I'll keep working on it...
December 07, 2023 04:58PM
I like the layout and being able to respond directly to certain post. Couple of things I noticed off the bat, is, the forum is still not secure. The other is, is there going to be a picture posting attachment and I hate saying this, but like the Detector Prospector forum has?

Looks great to me and thanks for the effort.

El
December 07, 2023 05:01PM
Still getting error messages.
December 07, 2023 06:59PM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Still getting error messages.

Me to.
December 07, 2023 08:39PM
I haven't been able to access the site for over a year. Every once in a while I would try and today it worked. I needed to get a new password to log in. I'm getting warnings that the site is not secure. I hope I'm not at risk.
December 08, 2023 12:04AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Elbert Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Still getting error messages.
>
> Me to.

Me to
December 08, 2023 02:08AM
The problem I think everyone is having is, we enter the site using https, but the login page is http, which means our credentials are sent in plain text...not encrypted. All modern browsers alert you about this misconfiguration.

I just noticed this when logging in. After you enter username and password and click submit, that's where the snag is. It's plain old http. Same thing is happening when hitting the "post message button" too in the comments.

The fix "might be" obtaining a new TLS/SSL certificate(s), and then install that certificate and enable the HTTPS protocol on your web server.

Another this is not having CSP (Content Security Policy) headers help mitigate some attacks like cross-site scripting (XSS) and data injection.

I'm no web designer, just a nerd with unusual hobbies... or so I've been told.
You're probably already aware of the issues, but if not, I hope this helps.
December 09, 2023 02:28PM
Wally......help! I'm now encountering even more forum/phorum problems than ever before. Now....when I open a thread.....it is in a almost unreadable format. HELP!
December 09, 2023 04:51PM
This Forum change is a Complete Mess !!!
December 10, 2023 03:58AM
I hate to be the bearer of good news, but it’s looks fantastic on iOS/safari web browser
December 10, 2023 11:36AM
fwiw, I've had no problems with Firefox. Didnt even have to login when wally made the switch.
December 10, 2023 03:31PM
Champ Ferguson Wrote:
> fwiw, I've had no problems with Firefox. Didnt
> even have to login when wally made the switch.

Same here with Microsoft Edge
December 11, 2023 05:18PM
Same here, with Edge.

We are getting there -- thanks, Wally!

Steve
December 13, 2023 11:02AM
I can now, for the first time, log in to post a reply but only if I use my work laptop.

The issue around the main site being HTTPS but the CSS styles and the login/posting targets being plain HTTP remains though and means all the posts are just in a plain text format not the pretty Phorum style that's intended - that's also the reason the site is unusable on a lot of other browsers as I can't log in at all.

For Wally - I think a quick edit of the site template to replace any http:// calls with https:// would go a long way towards fixing the majority of the problems!

Good t see some progress though and hopefully these last few issues can be ironed out pretty soon.
January 16, 2024 08:05PM
Wally,

Two things...

One, you mentioned "tweaks" and "fine-tuning" that you planned to do with the site; I'm wondering if that is still ongoing. Reason I ask is, there's a long-time user (Gary Daytona) who is still having issues -- i.e. unable to log on to the forum...requesting a password reset link but then not receiving it, etc.) And also, I'm still getting the error messages when posting.

Is it possible to maybe look into these things (first, the Gary Daytona login issue, and then secondly, the other tweaks that are needed)?

Thank you!

Steve
January 16, 2024 11:08PM
Wally,

To follow up on my prior message, I really appreciate the work you did to upgrade to a newer version of the forum (Phorum) software.

At this point, though, the errors persist, folks still struggle to sign up to the forum or receive password resets, and there are so many things that can now be done with this current version of software to make the user experience so much better. In other words, there's still alot to be done, from my view, to get this forum where I (and I think many others) would like to see it.

I expect that you are a busy man, without perhaps as much time available as you'd like. BUT -- I KNOW there are others out there who would be willing to help. I'd be willing to assemble a "team" of folks to help, in this regard. PulltabKing, who posted above, as just one example, seems to have a good bit of knowledge that could potentially help in this regard, if he has the willingness. I am confident that I could recruit a team that would be willing to perhaps offer their expertise and invest some time (time being something that you may not always have available) to really improve the current forum experience, now that you've done the hard work of migrating us to this newer software.

Would you be willing to consider allowing others to join in and help? I'll do the legwork of getting this "team" set up, if you will simply give it your blessing. Spreading out the efforts over a "team" of people, will keep all the burden from lying on your shoulders, requiring time that you may not always have to give...

Thank you for considering,

Steve
January 17, 2024 01:24PM
I too....... am still having all the same problems. I even went in-so-far as to download new software (Firefox). This corrected the issue for 48-hours; yet, returned to a format that I can 'almost' not read. I also always get the fatal message when I make a post.
My concern is: Almost no one is posting here anymore. I used to think that: All folks have transferred over to YouTube. Now (at times: self included) I believe folks can not even access this forum.,.,.,., even though they may be registered.

Gary Daytona...... are you back on this forum yet?

If Wally does not get a chance to read his own thread here......... I'll give him a holler in a few Days.
January 17, 2024 10:26PM
Still not a secure site. For the scammers who want to, they can track you, and get sensitive information. This security issue in my mind is the biggest problem.
January 18, 2024 04:02AM
Elbert -- this is something that can be "fixed," likely per PulltabKing's thoughts that he posted. I am hoping we can get all of this remedied...

Steve
February 04, 2024 01:59AM
Wally,

I assume you don't read posts on the forum very often; I haven't seen any replies from you since you made this initial post. I sure hope you see this thread, and are willing to allow others to help bring the forum the rest of the way to where it needs to be...

Thanks!

Steve
February 06, 2024 09:27PM
To all,

I am STILL try to get this to work. I believe that the MAIN issue with the site is the Web Server itself. I have used the same Site Server Provider since 2008, maybe it is time to change servers. I have a trouble ticket in, maybe the server can check, change or fix the server. I am sorry I have not had a lot of time to deal with the site, I have a lot of stuff going on. I will work on this for the next few days after I hear from the trouble ticket.

wildwally1
February 06, 2024 09:42PM
Wally,

THANK YOU for following up on this! I appreciate it. I totally understand what you mean by "alot going on." I get it!

If there is any willingness to allow others to help out, we'd be glad to. I think this forum is a terrific asset, and I'm more than willing to do whatever I can to help. My website knowledge is low, by I have family members who are very knowlegeable, as are other members of the forum, I am sure. If we can help you out, and become maybe "assistants" or whatever, please let me/us know. We are more than happy to pitch in!

Thank you,

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2024 09:45PM by steveg.