Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Unmarked graves

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Unmarked graves
January 02, 2024 01:48PM
I have a close friend who is a Vietnam vet. He has been working on the Jennings cemetery where he knows there are many unmarked graves from years past. His desire is to set a grave marker with a "J" over each unmarked grave before is own passing. He attempted to hire a person with ground penetrating radar to mark areas where the ground has been disturbed but the cost was out of his reach. He hired a man to dowse the area but only found a couple areas. He ask me to come and dowse the areas and see if I got the same results at the prior person did (I'm no dowser but I have tried it a few times with 50/50 success rate. He has been working on this major project for several decades and historical records over 150 years ago are almost non-existent. I'm willing to help him if at all possible but I guess I need ideas.

Can you actually rent a ground penetrating device that would locate disturbed ground?
Options?
Ideas?
JCR
Re: Unmarked graves
January 02, 2024 04:03PM
LIDAR maps may help along with close ground level observations with any vegetation closely cropped now that it is dormant. You could also use a probe to confirm suspect areas. I don't think it would be disrespectful given the motive.

Chris
February 02, 2024 02:12PM
The guy finally found a local business who does mapping with a ground penetrating device and is to help him within the next few days.
JCR
February 02, 2024 02:40PM
That should be interesting. Please let us know the results.

Chris