Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

nautilus

Posted by rqlt29a 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
nautilus
August 29, 2011 10:49AM
Anyone use a Nautilus?
How due they work in heavy iron?

Thanks
Jim
Re: nautilus
August 29, 2011 12:22PM
Jim........ exceptionally deep unit (approx 12" on a dime under good conditions). Badly masked by iron.
August 29, 2011 12:51PM
One of the few I have never tried but my research concurs what Tom relates to:

Having said the above been the favorite relic hunting machine for many of our Southern forum members for years and understand they are as deep or deeper than anything on the market.

Small Mom and Pop company that makes a rugged machine and stands by its products and talking to the owner will even tune for your neck of the woods upon request..
August 29, 2011 02:39PM
Nautilus is very deep in perfect soil condition's....I mean very very deep!!!and that's just on the disc side...It runs a dual mode setup...all metal in one ear with threshold and disc in the other ear when headphones are switched to stereo....there's a 2b model and an 2ba model.....

the 2ba automatically tunes the coil to the machine buy the press of a button...
the 2b tunes the coil buy using the R & C control's on the front of the box plus has the ability to control the sens on all metal side and disc side...2ba is factory set on all metal and disc and just uses the transmit voltage to control control sens...

I prefer the full manual control 2b model....you can turn the all metal sens up or down or off if you are in a lot of iron...then switch your headphones to mono and use it in a conventional disc mode beep only...... all metal side will annoy you in dense iron.....

The b means boost in the model number's and believe me it is boosted....you can run the coil voltage up to 44 volt's.... it uses 4 9 volt battery that does not last long....maybe 8-10 hour's....

has a great disc circuit but like Tom stated it does mask in iron compared to the more modern detector's....A simple Cibola will find more in real nasty iron...

Does not like bad dirt it will blow back on you constantly in mineral's have to keep the transmit power turned back...

If you have some loamy soil or sandy like coastal area's of the southern state's and want to work campsite's or dry beaches it is one awesome deep seeker...run's on 14khz loves low conductor's but is also no slouch on the high conductor's...it's still very deep on Silver...deep as you would want it to be....

Has great audio ..very nuanced and speaks to you like no other.....you can also tell the conductance of the target buy the way it responds in unison with the all metal channel....if you here the all metal signal right before the disc signal it's usually a lower conductor...if the all metal and disc respond at the same time it's a high conductor....and all conductors in between will be timed accordingly ...

if you make use of the all metal side listening to weak threshold rise and fall that does not signal on the disc side these are target's that need to be investigated..they are out of range of the disc circuit....remove some dirt till it either start's to signal on the disc side or the all metal gets strong enough to let you know it's being rejected by the disc circuit.....

Me personally if I was in good dirt I would keep one on hand at all time's....

There finicky to hot and cold can be quite chattery in cold weather on the disc side till they stabilize to the air temp....coils get out of tune quite often on average 1- 1/2 years they need to be tuned.....have high quality part's ...As Dan said small operation...There not trying to compete with the big manufacturer's they have a loyal following and it keeps them going....

They are working on a new model right now...Supposed to still be the dual mode in a lighter package with some better mineral handling ability..Hopefully a DD coil will be incorporated....Not sure on the release but they are in no hurry.....I am sure it will be right when it does go in to production...

There's more to talk about on it but that's the high point's...

Not sure where you are located but if you are around campsites in good dirt they are great to have and also great for working the outer edges of house sites where there's less masking....it will get way down there if the dirt is right...Loves Buttons especially 2 piece....

Keith
August 29, 2011 03:49PM
Thanks for that update on a new Machine Keith. I wondered (like many) when they would put one out. I know I read of someone who put on a meter and that it was quite easy. It's been years since I read that but hopefully the new machine has a meter.

I learned on a IIB! It was a really fun machine, but the iron out here in Germany made it tough.
August 29, 2011 04:36PM
I validate Keith's post. Yes, I concur.....the II-b is the better choice over the II-ba (automatic) version. It may take a litte bit more time/learning-curve to become proficient; yet, is worth the extra time.
August 29, 2011 08:07PM
I am one of a few yankees who has had a nauty. I had a Nautilus IIba and found my deepest Indian with it at12'' with the 8'' coil! I love the dual tones it had. And it had one of the sweetest deep tones I ever heard on a detector. I'm sure a lot of nauty users know the tone I am talking about. That soft sweet dics. only tone. I use to use it at old wooded picnic groves with liittle trash and coins were deep. I would still have it if it wasn't for my bad shoulder as the weight and balance is a killer. The whites rod set-up can help some with this though. But it is a great machine to have in your arsenal if you can handle the weight.
August 30, 2011 02:02AM
Thank you everyone