Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lost & Found happy ending.

Posted by JeffNS 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Lost & Found happy ending.
September 02, 2011 11:23PM
Been gearing up all week in preparation for my big day on Sunday when HB and I hunt the VERY old 1700's - present day site. Sharpened up me Jackson (check)...cleaned out the trunk of me car (check)...fresh batteries (check)...bug dope (check)...everything ready to go. Headed off to work yesterday and when I got there thought I'd try my hand at puttin' together a lil hobby business card to hand out at opportune times. Nuthin' fancy but does the job I s'pose. Had just printed 'em out and was headin' down the hallway to get 'em off the printer when my boss/friend/co-worker corners me and asks if I can do her a HUGE favor. Apparently her elderly father had been mowing the lawn the night before and lost her grandfathers ring. Her parents were devastated. Told her I'd be happy to drop by at lunch hour to see what I could do. Drove home at lunch to retrieve my detector and headed off to find some gold. What was at first a supposedly isolated area of their large backyard turned out to be something much bigger. Anyway....undaunted...I proceeded to grid the yard and had done a decent first pass in about an hour but came up with nuttin'. You could see the disappointment in their eyes and that the ring meant alot to them. Told 'em not to worry...I'd come back tomorrow after work and give it another pass. Well, got off work today and headed back in eager anticipation. C'mon...I couldn't very well be walkin' around with these new hobby cards "Seek & Find" and not find their ring right? Walked a straight line down one side of their property following the wheel marks from the mower...behind the shed...back down the yard...10 minutes later...beep...mid/lo tone on the CZ3d ID'd as pull tab...looked down and their it was! Hard to believe I missed it the first time. They couldn't believe it. Grins from ear to ear. After the shaking of hands and hugs from his wife he reached for his wallet but I stopped him cold. "No payment necessary...just glad I could help." He insisted on payment of some kind and promptly presented with me two bottles of his (supposedly very good) wine that he's been brewing for many years I'm told. Gonna pour a glass in celebration momentarily. :smile: My hobby found his ring and his hobby rewarded me for finding it. It was a great day and a felt great making a couple of folks very happy.

Here's a peek at my new hobby card...whady'a think? And here's a picture of the gold ring that was returned to a couple of very happy folks.

Re: Lost & Found happy ending.
September 03, 2011 01:14AM
I hope its the best tasting wine you ever had..........good job!!!!
September 03, 2011 01:41AM
Card says it all. Good job Jeff !!
September 03, 2011 05:18AM
It's guys like you JeffNS and things like you just did that make this hobby so good. Great job and congrats. John
September 03, 2011 09:18AM
GREAT !!
September 03, 2011 01:02PM
Jeff,

Put the "lost & found services" on top............. as the 'PR' portion... is what usually opens more doors.

Great story!
September 03, 2011 01:35PM
A little leery about passing my phone # around, past experience wife and daughter were harrassed.

Everyone has a PC so a E-mail address might supply the same info to contact you....

I don't have a card as my local multi line dealer always sends them my way and enjoy the challenge.

Tip of the hat as you done a service that will enhance our hobby..

PS: Home brew ought to be real good.....
September 03, 2011 09:04PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeff,
>
> Put the "lost & found services" on
> top............. as the 'PR' portion... is what
> usually opens more doors.
>
> Great story!

Good point Tom. Next round will incorporate that suggestion.

Dan-Pa...not concerned about having my number on the card...it's my personal cell phone # so no worries about anybody but myself being harassed. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2011 09:05PM by JeffNS.
September 04, 2011 04:35AM
thank god you was available to find it!
irreplaceable sentimental value! a family heirloom!
outstanding effort!.i'll bet the "taste" wasn't too bad either!
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.