Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher ID Edge

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher ID Edge
September 03, 2011 07:05PM
After reading Keith Southerns Edge posts on various forums. I determined it might just be the ticket for finding the claddage up here in Canada.
Now it did take a bit of getting used to, not owning a multiple 4 tone machine before. It sure made a lot of noise. Didn't give up on it as many have. was told you may not like it at first, it will grow on you.

I now have it figured out and hunt in CP mode to hear all with disc setting to accept all targets down to -28.
Listen to the tone and watch the numbers.
The coins up here nickel plated steel Id with bouncing numbers. I can pretty well guess what the target is now.
All claddage lying flat will produce + numbers and if on edge will produce - numbers. Generally -19 to -26. A -21 is always a Loonie or a quarter.
Silver and gold always seem to lock on to a number.

My favorite coil is the 6", air tests a quarter to 10" as well as a large 14kt gold mans wedding band at 10".
It's clad magnet. tend to use it more often currently. Has no problem picking up a penny at 7".
So still playing with it and my clad count goes up.

After making a hard choice I decided to sell my Tesoro Eldorado in favor of the Edge, actually ended up trading it on par for another Edge.
Re: Fisher ID Edge
September 03, 2011 07:20PM
those 'toonies" and" loonies" can really add up!
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
September 04, 2011 09:50AM
My first detector was a Nautilis IIb but I almost bought the ID Edge (and I wish I did!). Both are still great detectors, but I think I would have had a lot more fun with the Edge. I eventually made my way to a metered detector in the T2 and then moved on to the Omega.

Good luck,
EMS
September 04, 2011 06:22PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My first detector was a Nautilis IIb but I almost
> bought the ID Edge (and I wish I did!). Both are
> still great detectors, but I think I would have
> had a lot more fun with the Edge. I eventually
> made my way to a metered detector in the T2 and
> then moved on to the Omega.
>
> Good luck,
> EMS

Wow EMS, you went from a T2 to a Omega?! Normally it's the other way around. I run with the Omega actually. GREAT machine. Only drawback is the depth. 7" to 8" was about tops on my unit for a clad dime. How do you like the Omega??
September 04, 2011 11:06PM
Glad you like the EDGE Sven!!! Its an awesome I.D. machine for sure...

You do have to keep an open mind when using it for awihle to you become accustom to it...But it will unmask plenty....

The Eldorado UMax was never to my liking from the beginning....it replaced the Bandido 2umax which was awesome detector......They opened up the lower end of the disc range to accept more iron but in doing so they got the iron to overlap into the foil range to far even towards nickle before it would fully disc out.....

that period of Tesoro's was my least favorite of the lineup....They finally got it right again with the VAQ/CIB/TEJON....they opened up the disc range in the iron area but also got that good clean rejection of the earlier Tesoro's ....

The Tejon has the most range of the 3 though and will unmask a bit better....Tejon is probably the best Tesoro built to date for unmasking....

But back to the EDGE.....I like to run it in iron relic sites at about -5 or -6 on the disc.. sens as high as allowable...No notching ...

The reason for the -5 or so disc is basically if the machine makes a beep I just dig it....even the low iron tone....reason being is ther's really not a whole lot of iron that will read around -5 at least non that I have encountered....But say a eagle button or any other low conductor item which is limitless to name will read in that area when co-located with iron like nails and such...

Now mind you I like to use this setting after the site is worked down to just the nails and small ferrous items are left.....I.E. a hunted out spot.....

it will really amaze you what it can produce....

On a side note I think the Excel with 8 inch coil vs the EDGE with 8 inch coil was better ...I all way's wished they would of made a 6 inch for the excel ...

the excel with 8 inch would unmask as good as the EDGE does with the 6 inch when the target's were blending ////co-located......

Might be a mod for a 6 inch coil to fit the excel???I was always scared to plug one in to find out....

I know you can put a Edge coil on a Coinstrike but can't put the Coinstrike coil on the EDGE...the coinstrike uses a shield ground to one of the Pin's but the EDGE does not....But the Coinstrike runs just fine without the ground lug so ?????

Also One thing I did to my EDGE was if you will notice.....with the detector facing you if you touch the back of the box under the battery compartment on the left side while detector is facing you it will emit a high tone and register like 34 or so on the I.D....

Mine kept doing it in the winter alot when I would come across my body it would false ...I tracked it down to that spot and my jacket I had on was hitting it right there on the sweep...

The culprit is a capacitor mounted right on the edge of the board and any king of static especially in the dry cold air will cause it to happen...

You will see it it's big red one right to the side of the coil connector...I experimented with some shielding inside with aluminum flash tape but ti was to thin..Finally I found some 1/16 sheet aluminum and built me an insert inside the box and the slid it all back together and it never falsed again and could actually run it sens wide open most everywhere after that....

It would airtest a Nickle with 8 inch coil at 14 inches...Not a perfect I.D. but it would not call it iron.....it was real faint but hearable and I replicated it on in ground targets...Digging quite a few .58 caliber minnie's at that range in open field's....they were weak but repeatable....

That's one thing to keep in mind also real deep target's will read 36 on the EDGE...but Hot Rocks will too if you have an area with them.....The small coil will eliminate this problem on the hot rock's but loose depth...

good luck with it...

Keith
September 05, 2011 10:12AM
Keith, I have not opened up the Edge yet. Where's the screws holding the case together?
Haven't had the high tone emit problem but, thanks for letting me know about it.
The ground make here is basically sandy granite with some black magnetite sand mixed in.
Definitely see it sticking to the magnet in my sand scoop when water hunting. Haven't had many issues with the hot rocks, been ignoring the 36 numbers with
it, usually junk if the target sound in pinpoint was loud. Faint sounds in pinpoint I will usually investigate, sometimes the target is deeper than I am willing to dig in the schoolyard.
I will keep in mind that it could be a deep target when I hit the woods with the larger coils, 36 numbers.
Mostly I run in CP mode with sens maxed out, no notching, disc set to accept -28 to +36. Have tried all metal mode when I first got tired of hearing the 4 tones in some busy areas.
Now I don't mind the barrage of multitones, getting used to separating them out with the 6" coil. Able to tell double blips from nails from those double blips of close by coins.

Interesting machine, still need plenty of practice with it using the larger coils.

I don't recall getting any -5 numbers, will keep a watch out for them and see what they might be.
September 05, 2011 06:45PM
The inside come's out through the front....Take off the nut securing the coil connector to the housing and the headphone jack nut....then push them out ...they are soldered to the board and all of it will slide out the front Like the 1266 does or 1236 they do the same....unplug speaker lead and power lead's and the whole board and faceplate can be set aside.....

Keith
September 06, 2011 10:41AM
Keith that sounds easy enough.

Got several hours in hunting yesterday before the heavy drizzle started.
Picked up my first Canadian half dollar, not silver but was on Edge and a hash pipe as well as about $6.00 in clad.
Boy, the Edge was named correctly because it can identify coins on edge and I find a lot of them.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me