Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Where did I go wrong?

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Where did I go wrong?
September 09, 2011 02:01AM
Went detecting with my buddy today at a city park. He was using an Explorer SE and I was using my F70. My settings were Default speed,minus 2 threshold,99 sensitivity and 4 tones and 6 discrimination. All I could find was clad and junk. He found 4 wheaties,a mercury dime,Barber dime and a Barber quarter. I was having a difficult time finding repeater signals. Most of them were all over the place. I can only surmise I may have been swinging the coil at the wrong speed. I thought I would run circles around him with the amount of trash we were hunting in. But I am at a loss as to why I failed to find any Silver. His finds averaged 4 to six inches deep. Any suggestions on how I could better use my detector in these conditions? By the way the ground balance was at 70 and the mineralization was one bar or less Thanks in advance.

Coinseeker 78

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 02:08AM by Coinseeker 78.
Re: Where did I go wrong?
September 09, 2011 03:08AM
Maybe lower the sensitivity to 70-80.
September 09, 2011 03:54AM
Hi,, Coil size & type Vs. coil size & type???? Experience Vs. non-experience???? Fast sweep speed Vs. slow sweep speed???? Good location Vs. bad location???? Good day Vs. bad day???? Good state of mind Vs. bad state of mind???? Good luck Vs. bad luck???? Good angles Vs. bad angles???? Good hearing & understanding (sounds) Vs. Bad hearing & not understanding (sounds)???? good machine capabilities (in that dirt) Vs. bad machine capabilities (in that dirt)???? Proper detector settings Vs. Improper detector settings???? No crosstalk or no EMI Vs. crosstalk & EMI???? There's to many variables to this equation......If it happens again & again then a change is in order......JJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 04:30PM by jimmyjiver.
September 09, 2011 04:59AM
Ground bal is key

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 09, 2011 05:50AM
Sounds about like my experience with the F70....although your threshold and sensitivity are geothermal-nuclear.....might want to start by lowing your sensitivity to something like 80, and the threshold to -3.

Explorers are very good at pulling silver from trash with an experienced user at the helm.

HH,
Brian
September 09, 2011 05:55AM
I'll vote for what Lawrenzo said. That is the problem all too often. this sounds like it too: "I was having a difficult time finding repeater signals. Most of them were all over the place."
You should compare signals when you get the chance. Stick with a good sweep speed and test it out in a coin garden.

Good luck,
EMS
September 09, 2011 06:14AM
Something else to keep in mind is that if you had the stock 10" concentric on your F70, and the Explorer SE had the 11" ProCoil on, the coil alone gave the Explorer a serious advantage in a trashy park environment.

I did find that my F70 performed 100% better once I got the 11" DD on it. I made several nice finds with it (1840 seated half dime, 7" deep barber dime, my best piece of jewelry, etc). Unfortunately I found that it just didn't perform as well as the ML machines in CA's mineralized soil, no matter how it was set up.
September 09, 2011 08:12AM
Could it be the certain freq from the Explorer/E-trac's are interfearing with the 70, as in past observations/posts?
September 09, 2011 11:54AM
Ground balance often, it does not hurt anything. Just takes a few seconds.

Tom in SC
September 09, 2011 12:39PM
Turn on and gran bal yor machine first try another freq lower your sens to about 60-70 it could be his machine is causing the problem ask him to shut it off and hun again just your machine and try another coil..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 09, 2011 01:52PM
That dang sensitivity knob always causes problems, especially in trash or minerals.

HH
Mike
September 09, 2011 01:55PM
All I can say is an Explorer in experienced hands can be a beast no matter what the conditions and yes noise cancel can put him in the drivers seat and well sort of dump you out of the car as it may interfere with your unit.

Case in question in the evening hunting in vicinty of a large overhead sign my Explorer went bonkers and just noise cancelled and it went back to normal.

As an addendum two CZ guys hunting together are robbing each other of depth and stability even a football field away so find a new buddy or one of you change detectors..
September 09, 2011 04:11PM
Hard to beat an Explorer on coin's if the guy running knows how to run it properly...Trash or no trash....

Was this your first hunt together...Do you usually find more than him????

Not for sure there was anything wrong ///

Keith
September 09, 2011 06:53PM
Oh, and one does have to get the coil over something, too.
September 09, 2011 11:01PM
Sound like something more thou.... he was finding coins in the range you should have no problem with as well. Next time have him noise cancel near you that sometimes helps other detectors hunt near. The explorers hear one thing very well that is very distinct..... silver. Anyone thats used an Explorer knows that sound and doesnt even have to look at the screen. About the only time i use the screen is to check a weak tone jump. Id suggest you find a buried coin and compair signals. Then you may have to make some adjustments. Id bet his machine is affecting yours if you are anywhere close.

Dew
September 10, 2011 01:17AM
I have owned a Minelab SE and found a lot of silver with them. But I have found a good amount of silver with my F70. The more I think about it I was swinging my F70 like I did my old SE. I may have had my sensitivity to high also. I will find out tomorrow when I go detecting again. Thanks for your input.
September 10, 2011 02:19AM
When you say that your buddy with the Explorer SE was finding the coins in the 4" to 6" range....... there's nearly no way the F70 would have missed these targets (or mis-ID'd them). Head-to-head comparison....... and you would have found your answer instantly.
September 10, 2011 11:40PM
I am curious why everyone is saying the sensitivity was too high? Whenever possible I run my F70 wide open.....Sens 99 Thres +9 DE mode and 2F tones with Disc 6. I use this combo at a very trashy fairgrounds against SE's and Etrac's and do very well in the trash. Subtle little nuances in the tone with quick but repeatable good VDI bounces get me to dig. I dig more trash than they do but they don't dig more coins than me. With the 5"DD I will only use that coil if I can run the hottest settings. The only time I back off is if the ground is extremely saturated after long periods of rain and I am in an area full of rusty iron. What am I missing?
September 11, 2011 05:32AM
You SHOULD be running Sens '99' if conditions allow..... and it does not induce EMI. It'll present best performance. If you are next to power lines or running into some EMI...... then (and only then) ..... you should lower Sens to 'just at' .... or ..... 'just below' where you ascertain stability. This is both for the detector..... and for the human 'fatigue' factor.
September 11, 2011 06:53AM
Has anyone asked what part of the world CoinSeeker 78 detects in. Then we might have a better idea of the mineralization factor. Coin, where is your location geographically??
September 11, 2011 04:35PM
I hunt mostly Indiana. Sometimes Ohio.
Thanks
Coinseeker 78
September 12, 2011 07:50PM
I went detecting yesterday and had a great day detecting, It was a new park but conditions were about the same as the day I had so many problems. I was able to run at a sensitivity of 99,disc of 6, threshold of -2, sounds at 2f and was able to properly ID many coins and only dug 2 caps. The thing I learned was I got a better lock on my finds with a faster sweep and locked into a better ID. I will find out tomorrow when I go to a park with two friends who swing Explorer SE detectors..
Thanks for all the input.
September 12, 2011 11:35PM
Coinseeker....Well......after tomorrow with the Explorers.....post results. Any problems and my money at this point is with JimmyJiver & Lawrenzo.

"No crosstalk or no EMI Vs. crosstalk & EMI????"

Which leads me to ask this Tom D. type question.........can EMI hinder Fisher/Tek units to a significant degree, yet still not be heard by the detectorist in the usual form of chatter, popping etc?
September 13, 2011 02:47AM
Gosh........... I've got full articles written on this. One of them is in the thread titled: "Rcpt Ack of F75 LTD Prototype"........ I believe... starting on page 4.

What is interesting about the F70/F75/T2 platform is............ when EMI/interference is encountered.... these units will INSTANTLY let you know! You will audibly hear it.

With the CZ's and many other units............. the problem is deadly. They may encounter a fair amount of EMI...... and you would NEVER know it. The unit will continue to run at a perfectly stable and quiet performance; yet, depth/performance is hindered. On these same units..... if you CAN hear any EMI...... it's performance is severely hindered. Silent EMI is deadly...... as you would NEVER even suspect it...... subsequently, NEVER knowing that you are operating at a reduced performance level.
September 13, 2011 10:49AM
Question from ingnorance - Is there a cheap device that can measure or let one know if there is EMI present. A devise that tells what frequency/freq's are in the air. Jeez, there may be hundreds in the air.
September 13, 2011 01:49PM
"cheap" ...... no.
September 13, 2011 06:34PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gosh........... I've got full articles written on
> this. One of them is in the thread titled: "Rcpt
> Ack of F75 LTD Prototype"........ I believe...
> starting on page 4.
>
> What is interesting about the F70/F75/T2 platform
> is............ when EMI/interference is
> encountered.... these units will INSTANTLY let you
> know! You will audibly hear it.
>
> With the CZ's and many other units.............
> the problem is deadly. They may encounter a fair
> amount of EMI...... and you would NEVER know it.
> The unit will continue to run at a perfectly
> stable and quiet performance; yet,
> depth/performance is hindered. On these same
> units..... if you CAN hear any EMI...... it's
> performance is severely hindered. Silent EMI is
> deadly...... as you would NEVER even suspect
> it...... subsequently, NEVER knowing that you are
> operating at a reduced performance level.

Unfortunately the issue the CZ's encounter, is also possible on the F75. I had my F75 LTD zonked out by an Etrac. I had him do a noise cancel while I pin-pointed standing next to him and the Etrac switched channels and life was good, but prior to that I couldn't detect a 2" deep silver coin that day.
September 13, 2011 06:51PM
Perhaps an interesting study would be to use an Explorer/ Etrac with an F75.
On purpose, use a channel on Etrac/Explorer that jams the F75.
Then vary spacing between the detector to determine a distance which doesn't effect the F75.
I have the feeling though that distance isn't constant.....
September 13, 2011 07:51PM
What I don't know about the Etrac is when it does the noise cancel and lands on one of the channels, if that means that each channel has a static set of frequencies, or are they dynamic?
September 13, 2011 11:59PM
My E-Trac hunting buddy swears his machine doesn't cause interference. Just can't get him to believe FBS is death on other detectors. I agree with Cal-Cobra. Anyone that has a Trac & a Fisher/Tek, please do some testing, so we finally can put this to bed.