Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher CZ-3D

Posted by brian 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher CZ-3D
September 17, 2011 02:03AM
Hi Tom, I owned a original CZ-3D pre first texas and sold it last year. Biggest mistake I ever made, I just bought another pre first texas CZ-3D a couple days ago. The gentleman I purchased it from said that he just received the metal detector back from you ( NASA TOM ) saying you fined tuned the detector before he put it up for auction. What exactly do you do to these detectors that make them go deeper than others not fine tuned by you. Mine worked great as it was, I can't wait to see how my new one works. Thank you for your knowledge and time !!!! Brian
Re: Fisher CZ-3D
September 17, 2011 02:52AM
Brian,

Make sure my validation sticker is on the bottom of the unit.

There is a plethora of calibrations I perform on CZ's. A couple of the most important portions of this procedure is utilizing 'standardized' calibration targets & tools. Another portion is knowing exactly what 'correct' and 'per engineering design' spec's are. Stability, deep target-smear, '3D' old-coins calibration requirements, proper salt balance, proper auto-tune threshold, 'salt' mode target ID calibration...... 'dirt' mode target ID calibration.... and a host of other spec's........ not to forget coil and coil wire nominal performance.

In-a-nutshell.
September 17, 2011 09:54PM
Hi Tom ,
Do you feel that you can get a newer CZ-3d to perform as well as a 1021 with your magic ? ........or are they not as adjustable as the oldies but goodies ? .....I'm tempted to get one , but don't want to risk getting a bad one if you won't be able to bring it up to 12" dime specs ......Thanks , Jim
September 17, 2011 11:12PM
Okay, So this means I'll find more coin's ????? LOL I have alot of old homes that I have permission to detect that I hit before with my old cz-3d. I hit them pretty good, Wonder if it would be worth going back over ??? I sure hope that sticker is on the detector, Is this the only way to know if you fine tuned the detector, or can you go by serial number ???? Thanks for your reply !!! Brian
September 18, 2011 02:14AM
Jim ....... No. I can help the new units quite a bit...... but not with the depth issue.

Brian ....... I do keep record of the ones I validate/calibrate/certify. A few of the early ones.... I did not put a sticker on the bottom.
September 18, 2011 01:03PM
Reading between the lines it appears new CZ's are not being made with the depth capabilities of original CZ3D's and can understand Tom's frustration as he was instrumental in the birth of the original CZ3D.
Almost at the point have to ask for an air test if buying new or used and if you have a good depth one hold onto it...
Might consider older CZ's made before the old Fisher changed hands but then again the parts issue comes into play if it goes down.Years ago I learned things change and nothing like the original. My original 3 in 1 knife digger is perhaps and inch shorter from sharpening and buy one of the new copycat ones they eventually break whereas as my original is till intact after 20 years and use that as an example...
September 18, 2011 03:48PM
Hi Tom, Waiting to hear back from the seller about the sticker on the detector, also the serial number on it is 06101023 . How early of a CZ-3D does the serial number make it? Thanks again for all your help researching my detector !!! Brian
September 18, 2011 07:50PM
Tom, my CZ3D (#06101023) has a notation by you of the alignment that you performed (no sticker)....do you have a record on this unit?
September 18, 2011 09:34PM
Tom, I have a F75 ltd., X-terra 705., and the Fisher CZ3D (pre FT) .....which unit would you consider best of the three for use on NJ salt beaches.....just your opiinion, thanx
September 18, 2011 10:09PM
This detector was Mfr'd in June, 2010. I do not see any records of me calibrating this unit. What is the notation..... is it an e-mail..... or did I sign something?

The CZ-3D would be your best choice for the wet salt beach.
September 18, 2011 10:17PM
Hi Tom, So this makes the detector not an original fisher lab detector but a new first texas detector ? Thanks Brian
September 19, 2011 02:55AM
Tom, here is the note that was with this unit: CZ3D srl. # 06101023
NASA TOM WROTE: TOM,
" JUST FINISHED FINAL TOUCHES ON YOUR UNIT.
WEIRD THINGS ABOUT YOUR UNIT. THE CALIBRATION SET- POINTS WERE ACTUALLY
NOT FAR OFF. THE NICKEL WINDOW WAS OUT-OF-CAL......AND SALT BALANCE
WAS A BIT OFF. SMEARED THRESHOLD (ON DEEP TARGETS) REQUIRED MINIMAL
ADJUSTMENT.

YOUR UNIT WILL DETECT A U.S. CLAD DIME TO EXACTLY 11"......IN INERT
FLORIDA DIRT. I WAS ABLE TO BOOST SENS JUST A TAD ON THIS UNIT I RECOMMEND
RUNNING THE SENS ON/AROUND '5' WHILST DETECTING......AS LONG AS YOU ARE
IN THE ID MODE.
IF YOU RUN AUTO-TUNE/ALL-METAL MODE........YOU MUST RUN SENS ON '10'.

WILL TRY TO SHIP THE UNIT BACK TO YOU SOON."
September 19, 2011 03:05AM
I MISSED A SENTENCE FROM PREVIOUS NOTE
........"I WAS ABLE TO BOOST SENS JUST A TAD ON THIS UNIT.
ELECTRONICS LOOK SOLID. MAX SENS IS '4.7' ON YOUR UNIT....ETC...
September 19, 2011 09:43AM
Matt is selling his cz to brian I guess...the same serial numbers.
September 19, 2011 03:33PM
Brian & Matt,

We'll get this straightened out yet! Yes..... the unit is a First Texas unit. Yes....... that is a e-mail (notation) I would write (wrote)....... but who is the 'Tom' that I calibrated this unit for...... name/e-mail address/web-site name? I can check my e-mails with this data..... and further verify. This may be one of the earlier units I did before I implemented the calibration sticker process.
September 19, 2011 08:48PM
I can't find any name other than "Tom" that's on the copied email....it was bought on 3/30/2011, also this note from "Tom": "I did not have to send it To Nasa Tom.
Just wanted it tested and adjusted to get max performance out of the unit. Nasa Tom can adjust for peak depth and sensetivity. It often adds to the value of the
detector when he checks one out." (unsigned)
September 19, 2011 10:52PM
Sounds like you are saying.... he did not send it to me.
September 20, 2011 01:46AM
Sorry about that...I should have stressed "NOT HAVE TO" meaning not compelled to send it ....or....didn't need to send , however he wanted it to be maximized
for sensitivity.... is why he "DID" send it to you for testing for peak performance and to get a receipt or other confirmation that the "master" aligned it....
End of story. Now, however, I've decided to keep it, along with your note....Best regards, Incidentally, I air-tested this CZ3D in full (10) sensitivity
and max. audio with quality earphones and heard a clad dime at 14 inches and about 10 inches in the first disc. setting. I thought.this was excellent and
attributed it your your workmanship......Matt
September 20, 2011 12:39PM
Matt......... understand. Now burn some batteries through that unit....... and let there be a silver lining in your pockets!
September 24, 2013 05:19AM
Hello,
New to the forum. I've been using Whites metal detectors these last couple of years (MXT PRO and V3I) but had always had any eye on the CZ-3D. Today I broke down and purchased one. In reading this forum it sounds like I can make it a better machine, if it is proper calubrated. How and where can I get this done? NASA Tom - is this AKA Tom Dankowski? I have looked all over the web page for this service but can not find where it is offered? Of course it will be a new machine. Please help if possible. Thank You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2013 07:54AM by Donald24433.