Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Chance to trade my Tejon for a Troy Shadow X5

Posted by Scott_B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Chance to trade my Tejon for a Troy Shadow X5
September 26, 2011 03:26PM
I have a chance to trade my Tejon for an X5, I have never used one, but I have read fairly positive things and about the X5. Has anybody used one? What are your opinions? Will I be trading up, down, or about equal?
Thanks,
Scott
Re: Chance to trade my Tejon for a Troy Shadow X5
September 26, 2011 04:21PM
Having used both arguments could be given which was the best and your call...as both are good units.

Hate to be a deal breaker but considering if both units are in the same condition probably trading even up but and there is always a but:

Certainly don't want to take sides and not taking anything away from Troy as he is a gentleman straight up but lets face it Rusty Henry and gang along with Tesoro's liberal warranty service would be the deciding factor to me and would not trade.

If your not familiar with Tesoro and their policies kindly PM me and again want to make it perfectly clear Troy's X-5 is an excellent well made unit and Troy has a site where you can Google for further info...
September 26, 2011 04:54PM
Thanks for the input Dan. I'm leaning on keeping it anyways. Because I already know that I have a working unit. I don't want to take any chances, but I'm still considering it.
September 29, 2011 01:07AM
Scott,

I've had a Shadow X-5 for about 5 - 6 years and it is an excellent machine.Very lite weight, weather proof, very sensitive. Operating on 19 khz..The only thing missing is tone ID. Keith Southern did some very impressive testing with nickels being detected around 18 inches as I rercall. I had some deep recoveries but didn't measure them. The only detector that I like better is my CZ 3D. I have always favored the CZ's and owned them since they came out in 1991.

Suncoast Wally
September 29, 2011 12:14PM
Still seems funny to see a 20 + year-old platform (the CZ) as STILL being the 'bench' unto which others are based upon.
September 29, 2011 01:29PM
Credit where credit is due...after using the CZ6 in 92 right thru all the models to the CZ3D I will second that.

Tried a bunch over the years and always come back to a CZ....
September 29, 2011 01:52PM
I have read for years how great the CZ's are. I really enjoyed using my Omega and was hoping they would come out with a high end CZ Omega sort of machine with a bit more flexibility. I'm still waiting and until they do, and though I haven't ever used one, I would think my 3 frequency V3i compares favorably to the CZ's (in the areas the CZ's excel at). I am constantly impressed by the V3i.
September 29, 2011 10:37PM
X-5 is a heck of a detector ...You will find it is hotter on high conductor's when compared to the Tejon and just as hot on low conductor's....Get one with all the upgrade's....send it To try and he will upgrade to final production spec's....

Tejon might have a little better resolution in the iron nail range but not not by much...the X-5 will dig a couple of more nails over the tejon when chasing iffy signal's....The X-5 is deeper than the tejon in the dirt.....

X-5 loves confederate button's ...Has a real affinity for them....Don't know why but it like's confederate 2 piece button's like no other..

The X5 with the 5x10 DD is a sweet running unit..It not super deep in the dirt if the mineralization is present but the Tejon is not either...I give the nod to the X-5 in bad dirt though when coupled with the 5x10 DD...

The 5x10 Tesoro DD is not in the same league as the Troy 5x10 DD...

Keith
September 30, 2011 01:49AM
Sort of six of one and half dozen of another comes to mind.

Plus or minus either way and your call Scott....good luck in your decision....

Might add some like the dual disc. of the Tejon sort of like the older 1266 while many prefer the coin check of the Troy X-5....