Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's a Pic of a tool I picked up about 3 year's ago

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Here's a Pic of a tool I picked up about 3 year's ago
October 08, 2011 09:11PM
at a tool supply house.....

It's a rolling magnet..I think roofer's use them to pick up nails out of driveway's and yard's after a job...

It has a bunch of magnet's inside the aluminum case that are attacked to a bracket via a handle through the top of the housing..

you roll it around and ferrous object's attach to the bottom of the aluminum plate....when you get through you just pull the handle and the magnet's pull up from the bottom about 4 inches and the object's fall off...

the gap between the body and the ground is about 1.5 inches or so.....it works fairly well...I am thinking of adding stronger magnet's to it though... these are 50 lb pull...looks like about 6 of them inside there rectangle shaped.

great for spreading out dirt thinly then running it back and fourth keeping hand's safe and less back fatigue ...

I have used it on a few site's that warranted such...have not used it in the last couple of year's but thinking about doing the magnet mod for more power then getting back out there with it...

Just though I would share a tool I have used in the past...

Think I paid about $50.00 for it at harbor freight on sale one time...built real well also...

Keith

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2011 09:12PM by Keith Southern.
Re: Here's a Pic of a tool I picked up about 3 year's ago
October 08, 2011 10:12PM
Have you found any metorites with it..... Looks like it might work for that too. I saw a guy in Germany magnet fishing. I have been wanting to try that. Just need a little more time and a lot more money.

Tom in SC
October 09, 2011 12:00AM
Boy ya .... ive used one of those for picking up roofing nails. Cant say ive ever tried it for metal detect.... not that ive not been in places i wished i had one of those to get rid off all the nails. I think the worst place ive ever hunted with nails was in Joshua Tree where Patton did some desert training. Nothing there but foundations, nails and tons and tons of bullets and casings.

Dew
October 09, 2011 01:11AM
Hey Tom !!

Not sure if I have or not LOL!!

I just use it in Iron filled house site's...But you never know If I did get one I tossed it back down....

Would be a good toll for the Meteorite hunter though in a desert type setting where the pick them up on the surface...

Good Idea...

I know what you mean on the magnet Fishing...I think I saw the same video...They were pulling German Helmet's out of a river...

Looks like fun for sure...

Keith
October 09, 2011 01:15AM
Sounds like a neat place to hunt !!Patton training site....Ought to be some silver coins around the Barrack's/foundation's ?

Keith
October 09, 2011 09:04PM
I was stationed in 29 Palms while in the Marines and it is not far from Joshua Tree. My only advice I can contibute is don't go in July or August, them 120 plus degree days will wear you out. I used to find a lot of old gold mines out in the desert and I could never understand how they got out there to dig them and hoped they found some nuggets to reward their awful living conditions while digging. The only living critters out there beside us fools was spiders,gila monsters, scorpions and sidewinders, all poisonous.
Suncoast Wally
October 09, 2011 09:57PM
Years ago when I frequented planted hunts saw just how inventive our fellow hobby members are with their little tricks and homeade devices too bad they don't make a magnet to pick up gold jewelry as I know one fellow that magnet fishes and surprising what he picks up unfortunately once any iron spends any time in water usually a reel etc. is gonzo...Good luck in your ventures...as many ways to treasure hunt and not all use metal detectors.
Always wondered what those sand beach machines they use to clean up beaches have picked up especially with the price of gold...