Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Possible CZ3D coil problem?

Posted by tracyjm 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Possible CZ3D coil problem?
October 11, 2011 09:37AM
I was detecting yesterday with my CZ3D. I was really finding the coins. One wheatie a good 7-8" deep. All of a sudden my volume on my detector dropped drastically, the id meter pegged and the ground balance would not work. I checked the batteries and it was not them. The meter will not move from pegged while on. I wonder if it could be the 8" coil on it that went bad? Does anyone have a spare they could send that I could try? I would pay for the postage. I hate to buy another until I know for sure. I bought the detector used and I hate to invest much more in it. I don't want to send it off and find the coil was the problem. I was really enjoying using this detector. I have other more expensive detectors but getting hooked on the CZ3D. I had Nasa Tom do his Mojo on it and the CZ3D is impressive! Any help would be appreciated...John
Re: Possible CZ3D coil problem?
October 11, 2011 12:23PM
If you have a local dealer prehaps he could aid you or of course being a club member is a way to try another coil.

Personally not a tech but feel you have an internal problem as seems too many facets are malfunctioning.

Might try to clean your battery connectors as sounds like the unit may not be getting enough power which can cause a multitude of malfunctions.

Worst case scenario into the shop for testing and repair but you are on the right track trying a different coil and set of batteries...
October 11, 2011 01:18PM
John...... it does not (quite) sound like the coil........... but.......... you could try a 5" or 10.5" CZ coil. It does not have to be a 8" coil.
October 11, 2011 01:42PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John...... it does not (quite) sound like the
> coil........... but.......... you could try a 5"
> or 10.5" CZ coil. It does not have to be a 8"
> coil.

Thanks. I have a feeling you're right with the functions you found that wasn't working correctly. I don't know anyone in this area that has a Fisher. I may just send it in. I actually bought a warranty through SquareTrade. I may see how well the warranty works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 02:07PM by tracyjm.
October 11, 2011 05:21PM
I was just wondering is this a 1021 unit or a newer one? I'm just curious.
October 11, 2011 06:24PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I was just wondering is this a 1021 unit or a
> newer one? I'm just curious.

It's a newer First Texas. You might know I really like it and it bit the dust. I put too much money in it. I'll eventually try to send it in.
October 11, 2011 09:09PM
As a wild shot... have you checked the connection where your coil connects to the control box? I read situations with other detectors where loose coil connections have caused strange issues.
October 11, 2011 09:43PM
I was just curious as I also have a First Texas unit that I like alot. And after Tom tuned it I like it alot more as it really can punch deep! I found my oldest coin to date with it. So I can't complain.
October 11, 2011 09:54PM
NEBeachcomber Wrote:
> As a wild shot... have you checked the connection
> where your coil connects to the control box? I
> read situations with other detectors where loose
> coil connections have caused strange issues.

I'll try to check it again.
October 11, 2011 10:00PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I was just curious as I also have a First Texas
> unit that I like alot. And after Tom tuned it I
> like it alot more as it really can punch deep! I
> found my oldest coin to date with it. So I can't
> complain.

Right before it started doing the weird stuff I found that wheat penny at the bottom of the hole. At least 7-8" down. I thought I was going to dig to China. Very impressive and all of a sudden it does this...John
October 17, 2011 02:42AM
I checked the detector with a 5" coil today and it is definitely not working. In fact it is acting up worse. I ran the coil over my set of keys with no response at all.
October 17, 2011 06:21PM
John....... that eliminates the coil connector, coil wire and coil. Sounds like something went wrong internally.... with the electronics. I seem to recall this being a newer FTP unit (still under warranty)...... and, I was not happy with the 'salt' mode..... as it was very unstable.

You say the 5" coil will not detect your keys at all......... but.......... if you (now) switch back to the 8" coil........ will it detect the keys..... and to what range?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2011 06:35PM by NASA-Tom.
October 18, 2011 09:27AM
You say the 5" coil will not detect your keys at all......... but.......... if you (now) switch back to the 8" coil........ will it detect the keys..... and to what range?

I'll post my results this Friday when I'm off my 12 hr daylight shift. Thanks...John
November 03, 2011 09:03PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> John....... that eliminates the coil connector,
> coil wire and coil. Sounds like something went
> wrong internally.... with the electronics. I seem
> to recall this being a newer FTP unit (still under
> warranty)...... and, I was not happy with the
> 'salt' mode..... as it was very unstable.
>
> You say the 5" coil will not detect your keys at
> all......... but.......... if you (now) switch
> back to the 8" coil........ will it detect the
> keys..... and to what range?

Tom...I could not get the 8" coil to detect the keys or a coin. I packaged it up this afternoon and sent it to Fisher. I had bought the detector used and Fisher confirmed it was a 2010 model. Not covered with 2nd ownership of detector. They will let me know what it would cost to fix. I liked the detector so well when it was working that it hooked me on wanting to get it fixed. Very fun to use and a real depth demon compared to most White's detectors I've used. I will probably send it to you for a check up when I get it back and winter sets in. Thanks everyone for the help...John
November 04, 2011 02:18AM
Understand......... not a problem.