Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

cz-3d

Posted by jmaryt 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
cz-3d
November 02, 2008 03:19AM
hi tom!
i have a question!..if i go after a "new" cz-3d from (f.t.p),do you think it will meet the "operating standards" that you originally designed into it?..what do you really think?..do they have their act together in regards to this now?

regards!
(h.h!)
j.t.
Re: cz-3d
November 02, 2008 03:22AM
tom!
in addendum,would like to add that i would prefer to purchase "new" because i want to secure the "5" year warranty!..thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.
November 03, 2008 10:14AM
It's still a crap-shot. There are so many variations out there....that = Best advice; If possible, test one at a local dealer before you buy.
November 04, 2008 12:58AM
will have to be purchased from a mail order dealer as i have no dealers around here!..if i gamble and get one,will you calibrate it for me?..it will be worth it for me!..i intend to use it as a back-up to my f-75,or maybe even a first unit!..thanks for your consideration!

(h.h!)
j.t.
November 04, 2008 08:27PM
As long as it's depth is good........ I can calibrate most everything else. Make sure it's depth is acceptable.
November 04, 2008 10:25PM
How come some of the cz3d's (likemy old one) had a lifetime warrty and some 5 years? Just curious...is it due to the change/buy-out?

-Mike
November 04, 2008 10:56PM
Yes.
November 05, 2008 01:13AM
hi tom!
thanks for the very considerate offer!..i have the "proper" depth parameters right here on site,so if i decide to commit,i can use your information to check for proper depth!..may wait to determine if (f.t.p.) offers some kind of promotion for the xmas rush!

regards!
j.t.
November 05, 2008 11:47PM
Tom, I just purchased a CZ-3D, I was using a Whites DFX. I like the CZ-3D setup and its funcations. I have question? When I am disc mode and I set it at 4 it will still pick new pull tabs. It will passover some of the older ones ('70-'80's). I know with the DFX it see's the new pull tab with the same VDI number, as a nickle, is the metal makeup the same for the pull tab and nickle.
November 06, 2008 01:19AM
Rodger,

Yes, there are many 'new style' pull-tabs that ID as a 'nickel' on ANY detector. As years have passed, I too have noticed different types/conductivity aluminum flip-tabs.
November 07, 2008 08:07PM
Tom, Does Fisher or a third party make a Double D coil for the CZ-3D?
November 07, 2008 11:20PM
Tom, one more question about a CZ-3D, I purchased one last week I like it alot. What is the spec's reguarding nickles and pull-tabs? I also learned it likes nails. I think I figured out how to tell if i is detecting a nail. Just having problems with pull-tabs.
November 08, 2008 12:11PM
No such thing as a DD coil for the CZ. It's been attempted, but does not work.

As far as nickels.... a handful of new nickels of various recent dates...and that have never been corroded.... a CZ-3D should ID approx 20% - 35% of these new nickels as 'round-tab' with a mid-tone. The bulk of the rest of the nickels should ID as 'nickel' with the corresponding high-tone.
November 08, 2008 11:46PM
Found silver today with my new CZ-3D. Found a 1923 mercury dime in exc. condition 4 1/2" deep in this good ole black gumbo soil. Hard as a rock when dry and like sticky clay when wet.
November 13, 2008 12:27AM
Tom, I have a question about 5" coil for CZ-3D. I have been hunting in a park that is well over a 100 yeard old, but there is alot of new activity there also. Close to parking area is lots of pulltabs, but also lots of coins. I have found 4 silver coins in this park dating back to 1921. Would the 5" coil help me in the areas full of pulltabs? Is it worth the investment?
November 13, 2008 12:29AM
Yes & No (not the answer you wanted to hear). The small coil will 'see between' trash items much better..... but, the 5" coil is most prone to impedence mismatch... causing improper ID..... especially on nickels. If you can 'try before you buy' ....... that's the best method.
November 13, 2008 03:41PM
Thanks Tom for the info on the 5" coil. I will sick with the stock coil.
November 14, 2008 03:46AM
hi tom!
i have a question in regard to the "hockey puck" 5" coil!..i am curious about what you stated in regard to the mis matched impedance issue...are you implying that the 5" coil will give inaccurate id on coins in the "advanced" mode?..and the only true id accuracy is acheived while using the stock 8" coil?..thanks!!

(h.h!)
j.t.
November 14, 2008 12:47PM
The coil that came with the detector (from the Mfr) ..... which is usually the 8" coil....... is the most "ID" accurate (unit is usually calibrated to that specific coil also). Switching to the 10.5" coil and.....usually.... the CZ still retains extremely good ID accuracy. Now,,,,,, the 5" coils CAN induce the least amount of ID accuracy, regardless of 'Enhanced' mode or 'Salt' mode on ANY CZ. The impedence variations from 5" coil to 5" coil has the widest variances. You can perform one simple/easy test if you have a 5" coil.... by grabbing about 50 newer nickels and ID them with the 8" coil. Switch to the 5" coil and see what happens. You may be lucky and have a exact impedence-good 5" coil. If..........for some reason........... you have several 5" coils; perform this test.... comparing/between the different 5" coils.
Don't assume this problem is specific to Fisher-only!
November 14, 2008 04:43PM
In enhanced mode out of 100 nickels my 5" coil identified all 100 nickels as nickels. My 8" identified 68 as nickels and 32 as tabs. Is this normal for the 5" coil ??
November 15, 2008 04:40AM
hi tom!
thanks for the clarification!..do you think that the 5" coil is STILL a practical application for a cz-3d in trashier areas in spite of its' varying id capabilities?..my thinking is that IF the id accuracy is compromised somewhat by using the 5"coil on the cz-3d,then the "advanced" mode concept with respect to the 5"coils "usefulness" is neutralized?....thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.
November 15, 2008 04:52AM
in addendum!..the 5" coil may be the only "tool" to use in a very trashy environment,so IF the id cannot be relied on in such an environement especially in the "advanced" mode,then wouldn't this "drawback" render the cz-3d ineffective?..with so MANY "old" areas demanding an instrument be able to "look" between items of "junk"to effectively "up average" the old coins to the higher tone,then one would think the 5"coil "may" have difficulty giving the "proper" high tone indication?..thanks!

regards!
(h.h!)
j.t.
November 16, 2008 11:07AM
As you can see, there is a "difference" on your detector as to how the 8" coil vs. the 5" coil; however, it sounds like your CZ-3D is calibrated to exact spec's with the 8" coil.

J.T. ...... Yes, the 5" coil is an ideal ticket for high trash areas, , , opening doors that would normally be closed. My recommendation (if possible) would be to try a few different 5" coils..... especially if you have a dealer close by. Find the coil that closest replicates what the 8" coil ID's a large handful of nickels.
November 17, 2008 04:06AM
hi tom!
yes!..common sense would indicate that your recomendation "has" to be the "only" answer,however "trying different 5" coils is NOT a practical consideration,so i believe the only recourse would be just to purchase one "used",and hope i get one that will id as close to the 8" coil as possible!.

thanks!
(h.h!)
j.t.
November 17, 2008 10:48PM
True..... as..... sometimes dealers may not have but one 5" coil. Crap-shot!
November 18, 2008 04:34AM
actually i was referring to the fact i have no dealers within driving distance to go head to head,however as you say it IS a crap shoot regardless anyway!..it is a great little coil though,and people have used them for years in the junk with excellent results!

(h.h!)
j.t.
November 20, 2008 11:35PM
Tom, I have a question. My CZ-3D in Enhanced mode will Id nickles 50% of the time as nickles and the other as either square tab or foil. In salt mode it does the same. Is this normal? This is in air test only. I have a hard time telling pull tabs from nickles in the ground. If this is not normal where would I send my unit for adjustment. I have had the unit for a month.
November 21, 2008 02:10AM
Rodger,

Are you sure that your unit is ID'ing nickels as 'square' tab...... or are they 'round' tab? There's justification as to why I ask. Your meter/needle may be out of adjustment... (it requires alignment/calibration also). And are the nickels that you are using... newer nickels...... or are they Shield nickels/WWII silver nickels... or something unique about them?
November 21, 2008 04:56AM
Sorry, Tom you are right. It is Iding as foil and round pull tab. I am using new nickles and some from the '50's. I only have 1 v-nickle it Id's correctly. When I test the nickles the meter moves with the tones. The meter seems to work correctly.
November 22, 2008 12:08PM
The meter will ALWAYS move with the tones.... provided there are no 'meter' problems.
I'm still concerned that you have 'regular' newer nickels that ID as 'foil' ,,, 'nickel' ,,, and some ID as 'round tab'. The nickel 'span' on a CZ is hardly ever that wide. Silver nickels from WWII will do this.......... but certainly not the newer nickels in your pockets. On the nickels that ID as 'foil'...and the ones that ID as 'round tab'.........,,,,,,,,,,,,.......... can you see/tell any major difference between these nickels? Are some badly damaged....or the 'rim' of the nickel has a bad/deep cut?

..... I ask, because I have never witnessed this problem before. Now...... if you hold a nickel at a steep angle.... or on edge, , , sure, the unit can ID the nickel as 'foil' and/or 'round tab'. Also, at 'fringe' distances,,, the unit can also give these results.

Tom