Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Disc settings

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Disc settings
November 30, 2011 11:38PM
I understand that any discrimination setting below 5 and over 19 will cause a power boost on the F70/75. My question is is there a depth loss due to these settings of any amount compared to 0 disc and say a setting of 21? Thanks in advance
Re: Disc settings
December 01, 2011 02:09AM
My understanding is that like the T2, these specific settings boost the gain. So the only detriment would be related to the amount of mineralization in the soil, or strong EMI. Low minerlization, you'll probably get more depth with the settings you mentioned. High mineralization and increasing the gain while keeping the sensitivity high, and you will probably lose depth. I did a post here regarding the T2 and its gain increasing settings that behave like the ones you mentioned. Name of the post is:

How Combined Gain/Sensitivity/Discrimination settings effect depth

This will give you a ballpark idea how these settings work on certain Fisher/T2 models. You can actually do bench testing on your unit following the posted methods. Of course your gain inducing settings will be different numbers than the T2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 02:13AM by TerraDigger.
December 01, 2011 11:25PM
Disc settings don't do 'Power Boost' (transmit power is constant) but they do affect overall sensitivity. There is no 'switchover' at 5 and 19 (or whatever), it's a gradual drop in sensitivity from Disc = 0 through to Disc = 12 (approx), returning to near-full sensitivity at disc = 24 (approx). An air-test shows the drop clearly, in-ground it's harder to get the measurement precision. In air, I've measured a 5 inch loss of depth going from Disc=0 to Disc = 12. This is anF75 in DE (default) mode. JE is definitely different, I've not tested PF properly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 11:30PM by Pimento.
December 03, 2011 02:10AM
On the T2 when 50 disc is selected there is a huge boost in gain/sensitivity. First Texas won't say which it is. At 49 disc, depth is severly compromised. That one number difference is critical. Then as one increases disc from 51 upwards, the gain decreases in a linear fashion. See Mal's & my test results in "How Combined Gain/Sensitivity/Discrimination settings effect depth ". I don't own the F75, so perhaps it behaves differently than the T2, and perhaps not.