Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's a video I did of the Tejon airtesting a Nickle

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Here's a video I did of the Tejon airtesting a Nickle
November 30, 2011 11:46PM
sorry for the narrow field...I used my Phone camera....

I have a 10x12 S.E.F. coil installed on the Tejon and it really help's in the ability to ground balance the machine in mineral's.Not as touchy as the stock coil...has more forgiveness ....also has less E.M.I. than the stock coil when at higher gain's....one last thing is it seems to I.D. iron better over the stock coil....

these new coil design's are working a whole lot better at revamping the older machine's....

I think the video speak's for itself as far as depth is no longer an issue..Actually it is ahead of the pack...

[www.youtube.com]

Keith
Re: Here's a video I did of the Tejon airtesting a Nickle
December 01, 2011 12:45AM
Thanks for the video Keith.
Thats some air-test, but what kind of depth are you actually getting in the dirt with the Tejon?
December 01, 2011 03:27AM
Well Aaron it hit's all target's in my test garden....but the deepest being a 9 inch dime.....But it hit's it way above the ground so...

real world hunt's will show more.....it actually trump's the X-5 with 9 inch on airtest distance....and the Tejon's have always been a little deeper in my dirt red clay over the X-5's so I think the coil is a real winner...

I would like to see a 6x8 S.E.F. made available...

it is amazing what a good quality coil can do to a detector...I saw great improvement's with the S.E.F.'s when on the MXT and I am seeing great gain's on the tejon....

The Tejon's are great analog machine's they are among the best made at pulling target's out of iron....I say this meaning single tone analog style machine's....not the digital Tone machine's......

Digital machine's are nice and fun but a real brass tack's unit like a tejon or x-5 is a must for serious target retrieval in dense iron I have found out...Lot's of power and high freq's can really pull goody's out of iron with a tuned ear...

There not for everyone but if properly learned they can be real eye opener's in "GOOD TARGET'S" in dead spot's full of iron...

Now if these new coils can punch the dirt for deep isolated target's....the machine's will become more universally appealing !! Dual purpose and exceed in both area's...

Never under estimate an High Freq rig even 10 year old technology..when working through iron...they will amaze you when you don't expect it!

I go back to what I have been saying....VLF's are maxed out....the gain's right now are in coil design....

new technology will push the envelope further...

I think coil tech is surpassing the current detector design's.....detector's might have to play catchup with the coil's...if that make's sense...LOL!!!

Keith
December 01, 2011 08:33AM
Keith.....makes sense to me. Any recommendations for aftermarket coil on the Omega. My soil is very mineralized (Idaho). Thanks!!
December 01, 2011 11:08AM
Thanks Keith, air test was great on the Tejon. Keep us updated on the dirt tests.

Kieth, as far as freq's, and the machines on the market, what khz's are considered high, medium, and low?
December 01, 2011 11:15AM
That's a great coil? Air testing. Now the stock coil on a Tejon is a concentric and the SEF is a DD. Now what if you compare a large Tesoro Widescan DD in matching size with the SEF?
Let's hear some more results after hunting.
Asking this as I thought about this coil a number of times but, held off because of the cost and I see all the folks that actually bought the coil were not too impressed in actual use.
Started to sell them shortly after using them............

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 01, 2011 09:32PM
That's pretty impressive depth even for an air test! Just curious, does the speed at which you are moving the nickel over the coil effect the reaction any? Would it pick it up if it were at a slower speed? If so, that is amazing depth.
December 01, 2011 09:56PM
Hi Keith ,
I have not been one to judge any detector by what it air tests ....I know that Tom indicates that the CZ's will pretty much get in the ground , what they air test at .....I'm not sure that there are many detectors that can claim that ......Not to mention that most all of my Minelab machines air test terribly , yet can pull dimes out of the ground pretty deep ..... Keep us posted when you do some actual hunts with it .......I've been wating to get a Tejon or a Vaquero , or even get a Cibola and add a ground balance pot to it .......Thanks for the report ....I know that I had a 10 x12 SEF on a Sovereign and really enjoyed the coil .....It was a lot of fun on the beach .....It too handled EFI very well ......Thanks, Jim
December 01, 2011 11:02PM
Keith, do you still have the Troy shadow X5? I would like to know how you like it?

Thanks
Tom in SC
December 02, 2011 02:16AM
Hey Terra...Not sure if they make a S.E.F. for a Omega.....I hear and have seen a Nel coil on e-bay for like 220.00 ...I think it's in the 13 inch range...

might be a good deep silver getter?

Not sure....

Keith
December 02, 2011 02:25AM
Hey Ozzie...low freq is like 2KHz to about 10KHz...medium would be like 10 to 15 and high like above 15 to 20 or so...but gold machine's can get up in the 70's or even higher..

just as a general rule...

Keith
December 02, 2011 02:34AM
Hey Sven!!

I dont have a 10x12 DD tesoro to compare....not sure of what the result's would be... close maybe...I have heard of the big coil out doing some explorer's on deep coin's as far as quality of target response....so not for sure....I would bet thge S.E.F. balalnces a little better to the mineral compared to the tesoro DD...

But that's just a guess...

I would think the people who are disappointed in them are trying to use them for an unintended style of hunting..it has it's strong area and weak area...I would opt for wide open field use with this one..disturbed ground or undisturbed ground is yet to be seen...I have always had luck with tesoros in disturbed ground that some machine's struggle with....Tesoros do not seems to be Halo dependent like some deep seeker's...

Keith

Keith
December 02, 2011 02:37AM
Yes sweep will play a part as will the dirt getting in the way of the awesome depth being shown.......if I slowed it down expect to see a 1-2 inch reduction in response...but that is the same on the stock coil so it's linear...

Airtest have there place....but dont expect to see this kind of depth in anything but sugar sand even then??? Maybe not to this extreme...

Keith
December 02, 2011 02:58AM
Hey Synthnut ....Yes airtest are not the end all test for in ground depth.....but I do like to know when some sort of gain has been achieved ...4 more air inches might just be 1 more or less ground depth gain but that could be the difference between the find of a lifetime and not....

I understand the CZ in ground depth claim's....but there's other thing's a CZ or Explorer or for that matter a sovereign can't do....

I don't care how good a person is with those machine's they mask when the iron get's bad....not the dirt but the iron....Clean a excessive loaded nail/iron debris spot down to you quit getting any diggable signal's with them...and then go in with a single freq VLF machine mono tone and there will be more target's retrieved in iron...Not all site's will do it but really heavy iron filled site's are a Multi freq enemy..especially the Sovereign's...

Never trust a machine in iron that does not try to false on iron or dig iron....

I like to get a machine down to digging bent nail's not straight nails that's crazy LOL!! but the bent one's at least some of them then you know you are on the edge of unmasking in nails the best it can get...don't dig bent nails then there's lot's of masking going on that you could be getting a handle on...

If they could build a F-75 platform with multi freq punch but retain the separation ability for iron and trash it is famous for I think you would see a piece of equipment come into use that would fill a huge void...and eliminate the need for separate machine's for depth and for trash to a degree.....

Keith
December 02, 2011 03:11AM
No Tmanly...I do not have the X-5 right now...and I kick myself for letting the one I had go....

It was a Confederate button Hog for sure....!!!!!!

I let Hal Daves talk me out of it....Actually I let him talk me out of a few machine's that was in the arsenal...Crazy aint it...

How do I like the X-5 ....I pretty much could not fault it....It is a little weird the way the Ground Balance can change the disc setting but that's.. the only fault...keep the 5 x10 DD and the ground balance stays pretty good so the disc does not need to be re-adjusted as often...

I am not sure the X-5 unmask better than the Tejon but it is such a quality built machine that you just automatically have confidence in it...In good dirt it is extremely deep. yet quite/ stable......It will dig larger iron thinking it's a good target than the tejon will do...it like's high conductor's as well as the low conductor's...Seriously...It is a deep silver killer especially when the coin's are on edge....I remember nabbing a just pristine Standing liberty quarter in a house site with mine that was every bit of 10-11" deep dead on edge...it had been swung a bunch of time's...

And I saw it do the same in other area's on silver coin's...Awesome for 19KHz ..Awesome for any KHz!!!!

Very impressive the way troy had it hot on High and low conductor's... a trick no one has figured out yet...

I talked to Troy last year and he is still serious about the new Shadow... So don't count him out..

Keith
SEFs and NEL coils
December 02, 2011 01:06PM
I've noticed that for the most part, the US detectorists haven't really bought into the aftermarket coils like the UK and Aussie detectorists have. I visit a bunch of forums in which I just lurk and read and I've noticed at least 90% of the UK detectorists that post are using an aftermarket coil of either SEF or NEL make. I'm interested in the coils as well. I ordered a 12x15 SEF for my T2 just a few days ago. A buddy of mine has the 12x15 on his V3i and we were at a site when I had my GPX 5000 Minelab. He was actually getting signals on bullets that were at the 15 inch marking on my shovel....that impressed me because we've not seen a VLF that could do that in red dirt in disc mode! I think both the NEL and SEF are made in Bulgaria but they seem to be really big hits for all of the popular detector manufacturers...at least in the UK.

I would be interested to hear how the Tejon does with it in the ground itself. In red dirt I am not a Tejon fan but in our blacker dirt around here I had dug eagle buttons at nearly 12" with it....in red dirt it wouldn't even get bullets past 6" deep at nail disc level. I show this in one of my videos with the Tejon against the F75 on inground and undisturbed minie balls. BUT I never tried a DD coil on the Tejon or Vaquero so that has a lot to do with it. If all pans out, let us know. I may be getting a used Tejon and investing in a larger NEL or SEF for it.
December 02, 2011 03:22PM
After watching some of the videos on the NEL coils, I purchased one and found it to be a very good coil. the only problem that I found was that on My Etrac to depth reading was off by 2 inches. If it said 10" on the depth , then the target was only 8" deep. this was not a problem once you know to compensate for it. But made me wonder if this was the reason some of the units were getting a lot more depth on the videos. I really like the
NEL Sharpshooter. It looks small enough to use in trashy areas and should have pretty good depth.

Tom in SC
December 02, 2011 06:44PM
Keith ,
I totally agree with you that the Sovereign has a problem with masking .....Even the newer GT models t that have an "Iron Mask " switch on them ........ All Multi Frequency machines are NOT created equal .....The E Trac will handle sites with iron VERY well indeed ...... THey have what Minelab calls a "See thru " mode of operation that is nothing short of amazing ....

My buddy and I hunted a NYC park and I passed right over a Barber dime and didn't hear it .....He passed over it with his E Trac and heard it plain as day !!.... I tried everything I could to hit that dime , and adjusted that GT every which way I could to no avail ..... It would just null on iron ( not adustable on iron ) .......The E Trac hit that dime LOUD AND CLEAR, and very repeatable !!..... It was hitting that dime like there was no iron in the ground at all !!.....The dime was down about 6+ inches in the ground ..... A week later I sold my Soveregn GT ......I've since bought another one for the beach .....Old habbits never die !!....Jim
August 03, 2016 03:38PM
My Tejon with the 8" concentric in my mild ground hits clearly my 9" dime and very soft on my 10 dime.

I would like a larger coil. Not sure the Nel Hunter, Tesoro 8x11 or 10x12. Anybody tried all these coils?

Rick
August 03, 2016 04:51PM
Hallo Keith and Tmanly,
I use the X5 since the beginning and have all coils. I still use it now combining it with my old CZ3d and my current Polish machine the Rutus Jupiter v3 which is superb in amongst the iron on my Roman and Celtic sites. With this 3 machines and their different coils I work all my best sites and every time I am amazed how each machine is complimentary to the other. So I can have depth and separation, unmasking at a dozen different levels.
I remember long ago that 2 friends used a Tejon. I met one of them and he was amazed what the x5 could do. We buried some small coins and roman fibulas at different depths and the x5 defeated the Tejon every time and was more stable overall.
A few weeks later both were swinging a X5!!!!!
Years ago I had contact with Troy Galloway (a cream of a man). We spoke about how to improve the next “new” (X8?) and changed opinions.
Only a mixed mode with low tone for iron and high tone for “non-ferro” would make it a killer!
My Troy-shadow is staying with me that is for sure! The new model will adopted immediately!!!
August 03, 2016 04:52PM
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My Tejon with the 8" concentric in my mild ground
> hits clearly my 9" dime and very soft on my 10
> dime.
>
> I would like a larger coil. Not sure the Nel
> Hunter, Tesoro 8x11 or 10x12. Anybody tried all
> these coils?
>
> Rick

I think Keith might be right, I tried these coils on the sovereign GT and it was useless, I bought about $2k worth of coils and the best ones for the GT was the Coiltek, They added a couple of inches over the stock 1000 and the 800 coils, All the SEF coils and the Detech coils just had no life in them on the GT, Where it seems from what Keith is saying that these coils have their greatest effect when added to single frequency machines,

One thing I did notice that did worry me was the detection field was Not uniform and that they would Air Test small bits at about 6 inches at the rear of the coil and about 3 to 4 inches at the front of the coil, I since gave the lot away and although Keith has said how good they were on the MXT I am not game enough to stray from the factory coils,

With the GT, I put a 0.12 gm piece of lead shot I found with the Musketeer Advantage running at 5khz and the GT with the 10x12 SEF could not see it when it was placed on top of the coil and moved backwards and forwards, So I would really like to see proof of how good they are compared to the standard 10"DD.

I had the 10x12 and the 12x15 and the 18x21 and the 14" Detech Excellarator and the 18" and the 5-6 inch round coil and also the 15" WOT coil and the Platypus and the Little joey and the factory 10" BBS coil and the 8" BBS 800 coil and the only Coils that showed a real difference was the Coiltek Coils, on the Sovereign GT. No matter what coil I used if you set the GT to ignore Nails only then it will not stop Nulling out even when the Iron mask is turned off, The I bought the MXT 300 and even with that big 12" coil the place came alive and I found Gold, Silver all in the first day in a place that has been use by a company as a test site for nearly 50 years, That had also been used for club rallies etc as well as others detecting it, So really The stuff I dug up should of been found years ago,

John.

John.