Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Currently New and Looking for Some Advice!

Posted by marytran777 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Currently New and Looking for Some Advice!
December 06, 2011 06:54AM
I have recently began metal detecting and look forward to learning more. I am excited about the opportunity to find rare treasures. Looking forward to being a part of this great community.

Any suggestions on what additional detectors I should buy and how much it costs? smiling smiley
Re: Currently New and Looking for Some Advice!
December 06, 2011 07:15AM
Welcome. So many detectors and your question is really dependend on $$ and where you hunt. I have a mid and high priced detector. The mid - Omega 8000, is really a great coin shooter. It works great in iron, gets very good depth and is light and easy to use. My high priced White's V3i is deeper, a bit better in iron, fully programmable, a bit complicated, color screen, bla bla bla. but is 2X + the cost. I would say if you are starting out the Omega is a really nice unit. Build quality is so so, but 5 year warranty is nice as is the before mentioned performance.

Good luck,
EMS
December 06, 2011 08:00AM
Hey Marytran777! Welcome to the Forum and MD! Much adventure and surprises are waiting for you to find them.
Your question is a good one but there really is no simple answer. Most key factors are not yet known to us. What do you already have and how do you like it? What kind of hunting are you going to try- coin, relic or jewelry? What is your dedication (time/effort) and budget level (money)? How do you learn/frustration tolerance (simple vs complicated)?
Tom

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 06, 2011 04:08PM
My advice join a local detecting club as members can provide hands on advice. Your local mult-line dealer is also another thought.

So many detectors so little time and deal in personal preferences, your area, how fat your wallet is and a host of many variables come into play so do your research on line or locally and just a tough question to answer...and good luck in your choice as many fine units out there depending on what and where you are looking for.

In most cases you could make more flipping burgers at Mickey D's but the exercise, fresh air, new friends and the list goes on makes it a fine hobby...
December 07, 2011 11:45AM
I , also, suggest joining a club or finding other experienced hunters who can help you get into the hobby. They can help you learn a new detector , or borrow some of their's til you decide which one to buy . Post your general location , & there may be some of us who are local to you & will be glad to help. Feel free to ask any & all questions you may have on the forum.
December 07, 2011 12:06PM
All good advice!

If you're looking to jump in right now I'd recommend getting a newer, inexpensive unit used... something like an Ace 250, Fisher F2 or Tknetics 4000. Expect to pay $150-200. I would avoid the $40 radio shack unit that your uncle bought in 1995.

If you like dirt fishing, great! Else you can sell your unit and not be out a lot of money.
December 07, 2011 04:21PM
Great advice above. Get a quaility entry level machine that won't bum you out with a steep learning curve. You'll learn what you like or dislike after some time and you can move up if you want to a "better" machine and be a more informed buyer at that point. You can keep your first machine as a back up, or it should bring some decent money as a trade in. Good luck
December 07, 2011 05:22PM
You also don't want a simple run of the mill machine that you get bored with in a couple weeks. Even the higher end machines have easy start up and learn as you go programs and settings. I thing it's more fun knowing I have a killer unit that will adjust to my experience with it. There are many opinions on this site and they are all good. You get to choose the ones that fit you,..... kind of a tailoring. Have fun!!
December 07, 2011 09:38PM
All the above suggestions are excellent. Go-Rebels brings up a good point about not sinking a ton of money into your first machine. Perhaps you have a dealer(s)/club available in your area that will let you lease/try a machine(s) for a couple of weeks. Plus the dealer/club could tell you what machines work best in your area. Soil mineralization levels are very important in choosing a machine. Do be prepared to dig lots of worthless metal objects and targets that fool you and the machine. That's also part of this addictive hobby. First you need to find out if you like this hobby. When I started out around 1980, I could have saved about $2000.00 if I would have gotten good advice about what was the best detector(s) for my area. That was alot of money back then. We wish you the best of success.

Do you already have detector? What brand/model. And what is the general location where you detect?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2011 09:40PM by TerraDigger.
December 07, 2011 10:35PM
Guys - it's a spammer. Seen him on another forum, he has links to a detector sales website.
I reported the original post, but there doesn't seem to be any moderator.
December 07, 2011 11:34PM
Pimento, how does he benifit from posting on this forum? How could you pick him/her out?
December 08, 2011 03:51AM
Google his username. He's joined every MD forum in the English-speaking world in the past week, with an identical intro-line. And he's had his account deleted from most of them already.
December 08, 2011 05:54AM
I'll be glad when Tom gets back. Pimento, thanks for the heads up.
December 08, 2011 06:45AM
I imagine he's a Far East based retailer, doing market research on what brands are liked etc. But posing as a 21 year old girl from Texas and asking 'What should I buy to find Hidden Treasure' is not genuine.
December 08, 2011 12:32PM
Yes, I see what mean, she has the same posts in the UK and Australia forums. What do his/her actions lead to. How does this benifit her/him?
December 08, 2011 01:39PM
Oh well. We did try to help. Here is a Google search of just the username they used here ;

[www.google.com]
December 08, 2011 02:03PM
'She' has a facebook page, username of 'hotmarytran', and the site she is affiliated to is www(dot)usedmetaldetectorsforsale(dot)com, which looks to be translated from Martian. This info comes from Garrett's facebook page, via Google.
December 08, 2011 04:05PM
Good sleuthing men!
December 08, 2011 08:26PM
Gentlemen,

It is not that I don't moderate, it is just that I saw no indication of spamming (except for the strange sentence structure and the 'tran' at the end of the name, tran is a popular Vietnamese family name). Although this person probably is a spammer, the question asked brought out good information that other newbies who read the forum but who don't post can learn from without having to ask themselves. If this person starts advertising their used metal detector website, I will delete the spam posts and disable their account. Many people like this forum BECAUSE of the minimal moderation, but with this minimal moderation, sometimes spammers slip though before being detected through improper actions.
December 08, 2011 08:49PM
Good point Wally.