Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I'm eating crow tonight.

Posted by kickback 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I'm eating crow tonight.
November 10, 2008 02:46AM
Tom and everybody else.I took my Garrett GTI 2500 and my CZ 70 to a school today.It gets hunted but has the potential for old silver coins.I set up a grid of ground and hunted it with the 2500.I marked all targets with fluorescent colored golf tees.I had 9 targets that I was pretty sure that were coins.I then hunted it the same pattern with the CZ 70.I marked all the targets with different colored tees.I had 22 additional coin targets marked.With the 2500 I went over these additional targets,most didn't register.The couple that did the machine said were pulltabs.The CZ banged all the targets that the 2500 hit.I then carefully dug all the targets.The 2500 found 3 dimes,6 pennies.All clad,the deepest was 4".The CZ detected an additional 18 coins.2 quarters,5 more dimes,6 pennies and here's the eye opener for 5 nickels.The temperature was 33 degrees when I started and 26 degrees when I was finished with about a 20 mph breeze.2 of the CZ dimes were in semi frozen mud plugs I took out.The end of the Lesche digger was even the ground at the bottom of the whole the dimes came out of.All the other coins were 3 to 7 inches in depth.One nickel was 7 inches.I dug 2 smashed aluminum screwcaps,one 1/2 inch piece of folded aluminum and a thick triangle shaped piece of aluminum about the size of a quarter.I was pretty sure the screw caps were screw caps when I pinpointed them.I dug more nickels with the CZ in 20 minutes than with the Garrett in a month of hunting with it.It only seems to lock on shallow nickels.It is on it's way out the door,trade bait.Now I have to find a Sovereign and/or an E Trac to test.The top 4 inches of ground is frozen pretty hard.I might have to hang up the detector and go shoot some deer and pheasants.Bill
Re: I'm eating crow tonight.
November 10, 2008 10:58PM
Yep. Expected results. This is exactly why I recommended you perform a head-to-head. Glad you utilized the real-world w/natural dirt settings. NOW YOU CONCLUSIVELY KNOW.