Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F70 and Quarter readings

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F70 and Quarter readings
December 21, 2011 11:39PM
I went detecting today and found some clad but had a bit of confusion about the VDI readings. First the soil was wet to muddy. I was working with a 99 sensitivity, 9 threshold, 4 disc, def speed. Every time I got a strong quarter VDI one that would not waver a bit at 3 to 4 inches I dug a penny. This has not been the case in the same place that I have detected many times. The ground balance averages 70 with one bar or less of mineralization in past detecting of this area. Perhaps my problem may have been because I forgot to ground balance the whole time I detected today. That's what you get when your 78, a little bit of Alzheimer's might be the case but I can't remember!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 02:03AM by Coinseeker 78.
Re: F70 and Quarter readings
December 22, 2011 12:09PM
I experience the same thing frequently here in Illinois. When the soil is extremely saturated the VDI numbers are definitely affected. Its not uncommon for me to hit quarters that read "88" under such conditions when they normally read "84" under dryer circumstances. As far as the penny readings when its so wet, its just something you have to get use to. I can't stand it the first few times I think I am going for a silver quarter and pull out a wheat but after a few such digs I quickly remember to adjust my thinking. Likewise, remember that in the summer when drought condition occur the same coins frequently read lower. Its not uncommon for IH's to read in the upper 40's during such times. That's one of the reasons I prefer using 2F. The subtle nuances in tone that I can hear in 2F allow me to be very accurate in determining good target(regardless of VDI) that I can't differentiate in the 3 or 4 tone settings.
December 22, 2011 01:05PM
Yes..... saturated ferrous oxides will do just exactly this.......... and esp if Grnd Bal is not performed.
December 22, 2011 04:34PM
It's not just the Fisher F-machines, either...pennies often read a bit higher, like silver dimes, on my Explorer, when my irony clay soil is saturated...

Steve