Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

mineralization data

Posted by agaucufe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
mineralization data
December 30, 2011 05:04PM
Wondering if a map exists which defines mineralization data by state. With all the discussion regarding "mineralization" and its significant effect on detection, it strikes me as odd that no data exists defining it.

We read that the mineralization properties of the areas we detect are a key factor in determining what detector to purchase and use in these areas, but where is the pertinent data? Is there a standard? If Chatanooga were a 6 and Iowa was a 2 with the Northern portions of Montana being a 5, I could wrap my brain around that. But I have difficulty with making a purchase decision based upon heresay and opinion. That is to say, statements like "the etrac in highly minerlized soil" or the "F75 in good mineralization" carry no weight in my book. I understand these statements are backed by decades of experience and are most likely true, but I am at a loss as to how to define this for my area without buying the detector first. I couldn't tell you how the mineralization is in my area because there is no unit of measure I'm aware of that defines it! I'ts like describing a length by saying "medium", it means nothing.

Is there a definitive mineralization standard that can be correlated back to the detector so as to make these decisions easier and more precise?

Thanks,
Pete
Re: mineralization data
December 30, 2011 05:40PM
Here you go...this will work to some degree...

[www.ldeo.columbia.edu]

use the key below the map for the color codes Etc.

Try this to

[freegeographytools.com]

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2011 05:56PM by Keith Southern.
December 30, 2011 06:42PM
Sometimes you learn by the school of hard knocks.

Dew
December 30, 2011 07:06PM
If you can borrow someones White's V3i it might really help you out. The machine has a ground probe function and it gives the ground mineralization as a percentage of the ground. Then it gives a VDI number to further identify that type of mineralization e.g.- salt, iron.

For example my ground reads at 1% and the VDI number is at -92 to -94. The 1% is what you would think - extremely low. Moderate mineralization would be at the 10% to 20% range. Maybe 20% to 35% would be the high range. All of these numbers are a range. But, with my ground, even though it's mild, the mineralization that is there (-93 to -94) is extremely high in iron. What I have found is that I don't get as good depth with single frequency machines, especially high. But the lower frequency machines seem to do better. And the multi frequency machines (E-Trac) do excellent. I can't say this definitely but it appears to be true thus far.

Hope that was helpful,
Albert
December 30, 2011 08:14PM
Those are good links, Keith.

I have a "book of maps" for my state published by the state university that includes the soil makeup (along with everything else you might ever want to see a map of).

I consider it one of my treasures.

HH
Miike
December 31, 2011 04:38AM
The other problem is that mineralisation can change within a few kilometers especially if you live on a mountain range as I do. On the top of the range the FeO3 blasts off the F75 scale of 3 on the red soil, yet 2 km down the hill on the flats it's 0.1-0.3 which is medium to heavy on the grey soils. Maybe if the topography is flat for 100s of km around where you live you may get a constant minerlisation level to suit a particular detector.......... OR we just all go and live in Florida with Tom :-))

Ross
December 31, 2011 12:46PM
Ross............ that is absolutely correct. You may have good data..... as in what Keith provides; yet,,,,,, in your local area............. you may move a few meters to the East............ and the mineralization may/can be quite different. With extreme variables.......... it is nearly impossible to 'generalize' a concrete answer........... especially for a local spot. When I travel to different areas of the country (with detector(s) in tow)...... I nearly always find that my 'expectations' vs reality are never the same. A 'general' idea is helpful; yet, specific/exacting data is nearly impossible.
December 31, 2011 02:22PM
I know from experience and testing with an XLT which has that function it can change from one end of a football field to the other. Heres where joining a local club or having a knowlegable multi line dealer comes in handy as they can tell you what works best in your area.For instance in my neck of the woods for deep silver Explorer series is the choice of many and am one of the few to use a CZ but I know I can hold my own so lets not disreguard operator ability. Also I know a Nautilus is a relic hunters dream down South but in my neck of the woods one would be hard presssed to find any local users as they don't work well in my area..
December 31, 2011 05:23PM
This holds true for here as well...most places are red clay and some places have the prettiest black/grey dirt that you can find. The same goes for the infamous Culpeper County in Virginia....most of it is the nastier of red dirt I've hunted in...yet on the ridges in the woods, the ground is black/grey and rocky and VLF machines do extremely well. In the red stuff, the pulse machines take over.