Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Keith Southern... what was your detector of choice in 2011?

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Keith Southern... what was your detector of choice in 2011?
January 01, 2012 01:54AM
I enjoy your write ups and detector testing reports. Im curious which machine you used the most in 2011, and which machine you had the best success with, in your relic hunting?
Re: Keith Southern... what was your detector of choice in 2011?
January 01, 2012 03:52AM
Hey Possum!!!

Glad you enjoy reading my thought's on machine's...

To answer your question I used the AT-PRO for most of the year as main go to machine...I just cant get over the Audio it provides and bad ground punching ability...Its not the deepest, it's not the fastest, it's not the lightest, but it is a great grab and go that can get result's...

But I am going to say something very important here....For the final pull on a site that is hunted to death and beyond all my top finds come from High freq machine's....That's the Shadow X5.....Tesoro Tejon,,,, X-Terra 705 with 18.75 coil's and the Gold Bug/G2...

The best standout machine's in those is the Tejon with 5.75 concentric coil for working the nastiest iron holes you can imagine and the X-Terra 705 for ultimate deep relic's on the edges of iron concentrated spot's and open area's...

The Tejon is just a plain out low conductor getter in iron infestation...very very sparky,,,,Keep the battery beeps up above 7 beeps closer to 10 and it is awesome in iron...Sparky but awesome..

If I could only have one machine I would choose a Tejon for my requirement's.(MY REQUIREMENT'S on a day to day basis)..It's the last of the extreme analog's being made...and that's sad in away..

18-20khz seems to be the key for site finishing with current vlf technology...

Just my take and thanks for asking

Happy New year

Keith
January 01, 2012 12:35PM
I, too enjoy your posts, Keith and a very interesting response. More than ironic your go to machine would be analog with no VDI and a concentric coil. The exact opposite of the way everything in the hobby is going.
January 01, 2012 12:55PM
You come up with some great web sites Keith. You know your stuff. Interesting you mentioned the Tejon you dont hear much about it .... well unless you relic hunt. But they can still hold their own out there. What ever your type of hunting..... it just doesnt matter the age of the machine we will search out the best and there are a lot of older machines that havent been left in the dust by the high price fancy ones.

Dew
January 01, 2012 01:05PM
I used the Tejon for many years, found a lot of good stuff. But switched after I got my first dose of target masking. I was hunting around a very old oak tree in a now head start school yard. I got a very, very low volume beep that sounded like it was 10" or more in depth. After spending what seemed like 10 minutes trying to locate the target I gave up and replaced the plug. Re-scanned the hole and got the same signal again. Down less that 2" was a nice silver dime. Thinking something was wrong I sent the machine in for a check up. Returned Okay, then I realized it was target masking that had pulled down the signal. Bought a F75 and never looked back. It has a very tight foot print that really improves the target masking problem.
January 01, 2012 07:05PM
Hey Limegold and other's I like the Tejon for it's ability to pick through iron....It is ironic that its analog and not DD coil but the combo just plain works for my personal preference...

It's not the deepest in red clay but I don't use it for depth..there's other machines for that...I use it to massage signals out of iron...The High freq combined with the extra juice of Lithium battery's will eek out a few more target's that are low conductor and some time's a surprise high conductor...

One good thing about house sites even in my bad dirt belt is for the most part they will have a top layer of more organic/loamy type soil caused from habitation and such..Not everywhere but they are in abundance and the concentric coil on a Tesoro allows the disc to perform better....I have never cared alot for DD's on a Tesoro...

A properly learned High freq machine will sniff around a lot better than a lower freq...and a tad bit better than a mid range of like 14-15KHz...not much but tad ..This all being in iron laden area's...But tend to false iron more too..

I am not sure where Tesoro will go ...If they will turn the digital route or stay analog....

I like the digital platform's coming out and the iron grunt systems we now have are almost a cant live without it feature...But for a specialty machine a high freq mono tone hunt by ear powerful machine with an analog disc circuit with the fine tuning aspect of the nail range can make a difference..Not really in depth but the first say 6 inch's of dirt...and there's a lot of target's lying on top of the ground that are just not obtainable ...no matter what machine you have...

I also like to dig iron especially the anything larger than nail iron...and the tejon and other's allow this...I just like the simplicity of the tejon...

The shadow X-5 is a phenomenal machine and loves all conductor's with one draw back...It's nail range is not very wide.....can't pick with it in iron as well as a Tejon..But in open area's it is deeper and more responsive on all conductor's over the Tejon..Hope Troy comes out with a new machine and more enhanced lower end disc range.He really know's what a detector should be like.. He is an avid detectorist...I think he know's also that the best coil on the X-5 was the optional DD!!

I don't like the digital machines in these scenarios where the nails are there on one disc setting of say 14 but then they are gone at say 15..I wish for one day a digital platform that will allow a wide range of number's just to silence a simple nail...Or even a scale of decimal's would be nice..say 14.1,,,,then 14.2,,,14.3,,,get the picture....ever so slightly removing a bit more if the signal they way a analog machine with a wide low disc range can...The X-Terra is bad about clumping so many target's into one simple disc zone....Fine tuning is what a digital machine needs as a option...or even a switch to have an iron disc range discriminator only! You know normal and expanded...

I just really have an affinity for high freq machine's in the last couple of year's...After seeing they can produce in certain area's..

Now one that did not really astound me and me personally was the AT-GOLD...it could of been more. It seems a little flat in the area where it should excel.When comparing it to other machine's of like freq.

But that's just my take..And particular machine I used ..

Thanks for the comment's..

Keith
January 01, 2012 11:58PM
Keith --

You, sir, are amazingly knowledgeable. Just about the time I think I have learned a little about detecting, and then I read your post, about "fine tuning" in the iron disc range, and I can't even comprehend why you would find that to be so important. When you said this:

I don't like the digital machines in these scenarios where the nails are there on one disc setting of say 14 but then they are gone at say 15
, my brain says "what's the problem with that?" Man, there are obviously LIGHT YEARS of stuff left for me to learn about detecting...!!

This is the most outstanding site on the internet for learning, as the level of knowledge here amongst some members (and, of course, our host!) is downright scary!

Steve
Hey Steve
January 02, 2012 07:35AM
Wasnt trying to confuse you or anyone else Steve!!Just more of thinking out loud I guess...LOL!!!

I want to see such fine tuning there for the simple reason of just better unmasking...I know it might not make sense in certain hunting environ's but I have a few select places that I hunt that I have just beat to death and a good target signal is just not there...I am just short of sifting the site's for more target's...But that would not be detecting would it....And I love the detecting experience !!!

The sites hold Confederate relic's like pricey Button's and they are very difficult to hear intermingled in iron...If you can work a site down to just nails then fine tune the nail's to be more of a chirpy hit than a silent completely hit there is more chance of finding a few more keeper's...

I actually like a detector to dig bent nail's like this .....L.....but not straight nails....Think about that see if it makes sense to you....I will tell you in iron nail blanket machine gun iron if you don't dig a L shaped bent nail occasionally you are leaving target's in the nail's...

I relic hunt sites that are already cleaned out of repeatable signals for the most part in say a 20x20 ft area( size of a long ago log cabin) so cutting it to the next level is of the utmost importance ...Any type of blip is worth chasing and can turn into a find of a lifetime believe me on this...

The next time you hunt an iron spot and dont pull a target out and walk back to the truck saying man I did not dig nothing in there......Check your pouch and see if you dug any iron....that's the problem now-a-day's detector's I.d. Iron and such too well....If you do not dig odd iron and bent nails in a carpet of iron littered spot then you have not hunted that spot to it's fullest potential,,,,the key is finding the combo to dig such without going to the extreme ....Unmasking is hard work and it does not happen with out some serious attempt's at iron removal...Simple unmasking is the machine doing the work for you..Serious unmasking is you doing the work ....

I look at peoples dig's now days and there is just no iron anymore...and there's ton's of iron artifact's but there not being dug...I would say in a beat to death site you should dig at least 20 pieces of odd clunky iron to get one non-ferrous target...

Make more sense why a fine tunable iron range would be one more tool for unmasking?

Same can go for trashy areas of a more modern nature...I hear people gripe about digging rusty crown caps...well in a hunted out park if you dont dig those you are leaving good quality antique coins ....A bottle cap throws out a halo that is just unreal...A silver dollar of vintage nature 6 inches below it will not be heard..

If you are a coin hunter in an iron free park zone where silver resides and don't dig any silver after a few hour hunt check your pouch and see how many pull taps ...pop top's... screw cap's... and crown caps you have in your pouch...I would guarantee you if you know of a silver bearing site there's finds to be made if there's trash to be dug!

Sites can never be hunted out...Heck they have hardly been hunted!!
Keith
January 02, 2012 11:57AM
Keith, what is your opinion of the Tek T2 for 'tuning' iron?
thanks keith for your sharing
January 02, 2012 02:26PM
Every detectorist below expert level should print out these posts and study. A treasure trove of info here. I love reading it. again thanks for sharing. happy New year to all.
January 02, 2012 05:37PM
It does have 40 points of resolution like the G2 and GB but I would like to see a switch on the unit for 100 point's of resolution...

it can get a little finer tuning than some other's but I find an analog dial to perform better on a nail carpeted site...Where depth is not the issue but unmasking is...

It for the most part is very favorable for hunting...but When it comes to that last bit more resolution would I believe get a little more...

I would also like to see the tone break variable with the disc set point for certain applications like the G2 offer's...

I myself personally hold the T-2 in highest regard's....Because it actually brought something new to the plate after year's of stagnant detector design from most manufacturer's...

One thing I actually found to help the T2 in iron ...Is after you get it cut down to no more hit's but constant grunt's coming with no blip of a high tone is turn the sens all the way to 99...Yes 99 on the T2 will eek out a few iffy's in the dense iron that otherwise would go unnoticed ...Gives it enough spark to so to say!!

Now these are just my views in my dirt ...some areas iron will behave different than other area's..So you know!!!!

I always wondered what a ghost town site say in the arid dessert would be like to hunt....I would bet that the iron would have little or no hallo/leech into the surrounding ground as we have to contend with here in the Southeast ....Heck I can dig a square nail here and it's as fat as a hot dog some time's( well almost) from the surface corrosion...out west in arid climates square nails look like they were used yesterday LOL!!

Would think it would help in unmasking to a certain degree...

Keith
January 02, 2012 05:44PM
Golden Mask 4 18khz fast and furious.
January 02, 2012 06:07PM
Nice Keith.... nice.
Re: Hey Steve
January 02, 2012 08:53PM
Very nice reading. I come to this forum to learn more about the hobby. Today I got a big blast of it. Thank you Keith.

I'm telling you that you have a book or a video in your head.
January 02, 2012 10:51PM
Good read Keith, keep it coming......if you don't mind.
January 02, 2012 11:18PM
Keith...I feel the same way about you that I do NASA-Tom, from the perspective that an opportunity to spend a few hours hunting with you would be simply priceless!

Yes, I hear you on digging the iron. I'm happy to say that digging iron is not a problem for me smiling smiley ; I usually end up with at least a half dozen nails or other odd-shaped iron pieces in my pouch when hunting deep silver, so, while that drives me nuts, I guess it also means that I'm not doing things completely wrong! And yes, I think I may possibly understand why the bent nails will often sound better than straight ones -- is it the "eddy current" thing? In other words, a little "better" eddy currents generated on a "bent" nail than a straight one, making that piece of iron sound just a little better than a straight piece?

And I do see what you are saying now, about when there is nothing left to hear but iron sounds, that "fine tuning" can maybe allow you to eek out a few more goodies that sound "just not quite as bad" as the surrounding iron. I can understand this conceptually, though I can't IMAGINE being good enough to actually pull this off in the field! But, one other thing that causes me to pause a bit about this whole premise, and that is this...

IF a detector could theoretically ID, say, a 2" nail perfectly (at say, 14.0) -- no matter its orientation, depth, etc., and if all the nails at your site were of this 2" type, then I can see where setting your disc at 14 and hearing these nails, but setting it at 15 and hearing none of them, you might -- at that 15 disc. level, be inadvertently missing a good target that might be ID'd by your machine at 14.5, or whatever. BUT, my brain would think that in reality, the nails in a given site -- while many may register at 14, some would hit at 15 due to more rust or something, some may be longer, and thus register as 16, some may be 13 as they are sitting a bit more vertical than horizontal, one with a very slight bend in it may hit 17 or 18, one whose head was smashed more by the hammer than most others may read 14.7, and one that was 2" deeper than most others may read 11...in other words, in my mind, fine-tuning would indeed "change the equation" a bit, so to speak, but to me, with things much less homogenous than the ideal "nails read 14 but are gone with disc set at 15" scenario, my brain is still struggling to take this theoretical concept (fine tuning can "sort things out better" ) and understand how, IN THE FIELD, this fine tuning would actually be an advantage.

NOW -- I am sure my thinking is amateur, I really am; but nonetheless, that's how my inexperienced brain is looking at it. So, can you point out what I'm missing? This is a fascinating discussion, and I'd really like to understand this a little better...

And one other thing -- I sure do hope the tone of this is NOT, in any way, coming across as being "argumentative." That is totally not the case; this is simply my curiousity, and a realization that I have a lack of experience, and so I am asking these questions only to truly try and glean as much understanding as I can from that immense amount of info you have stored up there... smiling smiley

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 01:45AM by steveg.
January 03, 2012 12:19AM
Steve..... you are also very correct in your thinking.

Keep this thread going. ((( It is very similar to the threads "COMPILATION #1" and "COMPILATION #2"..... and is also covered in "Rcpt Ack of F75 LTD Proto" ))).
January 03, 2012 12:40AM
I don't see it as being argumentative Steve so don't worry about that!!!

It's great you are digging iron out of your sites 1-piece of iron removed is 1 less piece of masking material to deal with...and whats funny the piece of iron you remove today might not net you a find right then because of whatever reason from halo disturbance or soil moisture or a multitude of other scenarios ...but a week from now or a month from now that one piece of removed iron can net a find...A different approach to the target that was otherwise masked or dampness of soil or whatever...iron removal makes a difference even if it's not immediately seen....

As far the 14 disc vs 15 disc vs 14.5 disc.....you make a very intelligent observation...but lets look at it like this...

I am looking to gain the quality of the signal that a analog dial offer's without out digging just every nail on the planet...

If nails sound good at say 14 and you dig them like crazy well that's not going to last long....but if they are quite and I retrieve every target that read's 15...16... 17.... on up what is there to do once those signal play out?...drop to 14 and dig all nails .....I don't really want to do that there's 1000's of them in spot's.....but If I can get in between a full on hit and a partial hit I will dug dozens and dozens probably hundred's over " A PERIOD OF TIME" but not thousand's it's unfeasible....But also more non-ferrous target's will come to light...

The analog control with a wide low end offer's the luxury of actually getting a nail to be partially there and then you listen for the quality of a sound that is out of place in the constant partial hit's....this is where the in between 14-15 setting would be of some help....

The ones that read 13 or 12 or 11 well they are masking good target's also....But how far are you willing to turn the disc down....I sort of draw the line at the most abundant nails the 2 inch or so ones that read 14....You might want to get a sifter ..magnet ....or do some trenching through a site and scatter dirt after they get below say 14 ....It's still doable but the most abundant item is the nail in certain places and trying to work with the disc below them is more of just place in all metal and dig it all.... I have done that but it will blow your mind how much stuff is in the ground below 14...

Does it make sense?

Here's another thing...when you have a site you want to really investigate don try to go in with just nail reject at the beginning ...go in with a higher disc of say 30 -35 then work it backwards till you get it where you want it....At just nail's....I have a few sites down to nails right now...and I believe a High freq high power fine tunable low disc range would pop some more target's out of the ground....I have analog machine's that do this very thing now...I would just love to see a digital machine with the fine tune ability the analog offer's combined with say F-75 LTD power...

The key is to get what you can get without digging your self to an early grave....

I will also say this....Total soil target relationship understanding is very important....20 years ago we hunted spot's in a simple approach that once target's did not register the site was clean.Hunted out... over with....not really knowing what was going on just inches below the soil...now we know that below the surface there is a jambalaya of intermingled iron soup....and we know that masking takes place from this..And in some instances the find of a lifetime await's those who try harder than the last guy who hunted it..we have to figure out how to get a few more percent of the target's with or detector's..

Partial discrimination on a clean site is one such way....Try to get the most on each hunt in the shortest amount of time...you might not get to hunt that site again next week it might be gone.....

Hope I am making sense...

Thanks for the feedback from all of ya'll...

Ask more question's Steve Me or someone else might have an answer....Also remember these number's are reference number's but the truth holds true just to get the machine to the edge of digging whatever your trying to eliminate then hunt away...

I don't know it all no one ever will when it comes to detecting.( To many variables)..But time in the field answer's lot's of question's and will make a lot of thing's second nature after hours and hours of doing it..

Keith

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 12:49AM by Keith Southern.
January 03, 2012 01:14AM
Another question to add to Steve's;

Tone break, does that mean you can set the next higher tone in the range of iron (or aluminum) on a machine that has that option? In other words; say the iron range on a certain detector is divided into 40 segments. Can you set it to any number between 1 thru 39 and the detector will sound to the next higest tone?
Hey Ozzie
January 03, 2012 01:40AM
Yes the variable tone break like on the G2/GB mean that say you set it on 24 well all i.d.'s 24 and below will be low tone and 25 and above will be high tone...

that's a very nice unmasking tool because it actually allows you to get closer to the spot on rejection of say a nail and still hear what under the coil at all time's..

On say the T2 if you use tones the determine for you that 40 is your break point for low to high with no manipulation allowed...

You have to use 1 tone to get say closer to nail accept /reject point for unmasking purposes..but then you loose your iron grunt and you are blind to what's under the coil..

The variable tone set point is the best of both world's.

Keith
January 03, 2012 01:43AM
Keith --

First of all, let me thank you for taking all the time to explain all of this. I have been known to wear out many a person by asking so many questions. But, when there is someone who is patient and willing to share knowledge, it sure does "speed up" the learning curve for those of us who lack the experience and time "in the field." So, I thank you very sincerely.

You know, it has been YEARS since you were in my shoes (a relative novice), and back then you didn't have the internet, and forums and the like, with "experts" sharing information with the world. So, you may not be able to relate to what I'm about to say, but -- I find myself just fascinated with, and in awe of, "expert" hunters...you all share these stories and experiences, and to me they seem literally "mythical" at times. I used to go to a site, swing for awhile, find a nice coin or two and then, after several hours, conclude "there's not much here." Then, I read where NASA-Tom says 90% of good targets remain IN THE GROUND, either masked or deep, to the point that they are undetectable with current machines; similarly, I read stories about guys who "make a living" finding incredible goodies in "hunted-out" parks (skilled and talented enough to find maybe 1% more of the difficult targets -- such that instead of 90% being left in the ground, there are now only 89%!) I just can't imagine this...to think that for every silver coin I find, there are eight or nine more, still there, that I have swung over but missed...wow! I recall a story, a link to a story, maybe, posted here not long ago, about a pair of guys who went on a detecting excursion back east awhile back, hitting only the "hammered" parks, and just CLEANING UP on the amazing finds. That is one of those things that seems "mythical" to me. BUT, having said that, it is less "mythical" to me now, than what it once was. I remember very distinctly the very first "partially masked" coin I ever dug. It was masked to the degree that I almost didn't dig it. It was in a very hard-hit, "hunted out" park nearby, which used to really give up the goods back in the day, but no more. This target intrigued me, and there was a time that I would not have dug it, but working it with a small coil, and really concentrating and thinking about what might be going on, I determined that there were two separate targets within a couple of inches of each other, one iron, and one maybe worth retrieving...so, I cut a small plug "inside" what I thought was the iron target, but including the "intriguing" one...and out of the plug came an otherwise easy-to-detect 3 1/2" deep Mercury dime. The "rest of the story" of course was that right in the side of the hole, I found a 4" nail. While this is ROUTINE for most guys here (and likely how those two guys who made all those good finds managed most of their keepers), for me that was memorable. That recovery was one of those types of finds that I would read about online -- finds that guys would achieve routinely, and yet I'd think "does that REALLY happen?" I have now begun to semi-routinely find a few hidden goodies in the well-hunted parks, and each one feels like a minor victory!

Still, though, each time I take a step, and ascend to where things that at one time seemed impossible have now become fairly routine for me, I look ahead -- only to see dozens MORE steps ahead, steps that are steeper and more difficult than the ones I've already climbed! Your posts, Keith, in this thread, are like that -- they are like a steeply-ascending set of stairs up a cliff...and it causes me to just stand there and say "how in the world could ANYONE climb these stairs" -- and yet, people have...I see you standing way up there, waving at me... smiling smiley That encourages me to keep plugging along...

Anyway, I veered off in a ditch there a little bit! In your answer to me, you did very clearly explain your thinking, and it does make sense. Seems like a "law of diminishing returns" thing -- in that if you have learned that most nails at your site read 14, each step downward in decreasing your disc. level down toward 14 means you will dig progressively more nails -- but will also recover some additional good targets. Eventually, though, you get to the point where dropping your disc one more notch, to try and recover ONE MORE good target, might require 1000 nail digs. At some point, I can see where it becomes not worth it (the time and energy are just not there to do so). SO -- on the "fine tuning" thing...you are saying that in some cases, the number of nails dug at 15 would become ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE more, if you dropped to 14...but, might only increase, say, ten-fold, if you could drop your disc. to, say, 14.5 instead of all the way down to 14. I understand now. Makes perfect sense. While I STILL can't imagine the skill and knowledge required to hunt and make finds like that, it at least theoretically makes sense.

I will take two very important things out of this exchange.

1. The idea of hunting a site repeatedly, going "backwards" down the disc scale with time, each time lowering disc and digging "less likely to be good" targets, until you have it "down to the nails" (and yet, still, knowing you have left a ton of good stuff masked by the iron); and...

2. The idea that if I dig a bunch of iron at a site, and then re-sweep each hole and hear nothing more, that I should NOT conclude with any certainty that there is therefore nothing else down there. The idea of the "iron halo" left in the ground STILL possibly masking goodies underneath, I never thought of, but it does make sense. The idea that you could dig a bunch of iron on a hunt, and find nothing else good beneath, but then come back a month or more later, and THEN find some things that were previously "halo-masked..."

Thanks so much for your time, Keith. It really means alot to have members like you here with two traits -- 1.) TONS of experience and knowledge, AND 2.) enough generosity and patience to SHARE THAT experience with the rest of us. I know I'd be NOWHERE NEAR where I am at in this hobby, were it not for all the knowledge shared here that really, REALLY lessens the "learning curve."

THANKS!

Steve
January 03, 2012 03:27AM
Hey Steve I am glad it sounds a little simpler now...

And thinks for the kind remarks you gave me in your post...It makes you feel like you have accomplished something when someone acknowledges a idea you have as inspiring to them...So thank you!

We are all learning all the time when detecting....Whats weird is the thing's we learn sometimes we don't know we have learned them or even put the experience to use till a later date...

Yes when alot of us cut our teeth on detecting..there really was no shared knowledge..Especially my scenario ...I was just an 8 year old boy in 1978 playing with my Christmas present....Jetco Mustang...I did not know it then but that single Christmas gift I circled in the Sears and Robuck catalog would put me on a trail of discovery I never even knew existed I hunted everywhere I could find in a few block radius of my house for year's ...All through High school Every weekend after I was old enough to drive I scouted out relic sites with my new trusty Red Baron....And still was pretty much by myself learning as I went but heck finds were plentiful in the open wood's living around civil war battlefields my whole life...But as time wore on and the finds got fewer and fewer new tricks and techniques had to be learned.. and you learned them as you went or you did not find stuff...

I remember I was in my early 20'smaybe even 20 and I was hunting this house site That I had found on a Civil War map and the finds had dried up it had been a fun house...with Confederate button's and yankee button's and bullet's and such well it got to where I could not dig another thing in there or at least I thought!I had been hunting all morning and I was setting there on a log thinking about how sad it was that there was no more find's in this house..I took my shovel and busted the ground in front of me and there was a piece of brass lying in the hole...I thought why had I not dug this?put it back in hole put dirt back on top and scanned and no signal no nothing!!!But I did not know why so I dismissed it...Then later on I got a newer detector that the discriminator went lower on than my previous model and I could go back and find some more stuff in the same house...It was a Tesoro Bandido big box...It would get more than the older one and still I did not dig iron or not a lot of it...I thought it was a magic stick...But still not put 2 and 2 together about the lower disc( yet still above iron reject)

Well anyway to make along story short after figuring out slowly but surely thing's come together as what was really going on under the soil...And why target's behave like they do and what it takes with current technology to get what you can get started to dawn on me...

Other hunter's went through the same scenario's I am sure but alot of those guys from back then dropped out once the easy stuff was gone depleted ...

I guess what I am trying to say is you learn as you and you have to crawl before you walk if that make sense....

But now days we have so much more info at our disposal we don't have to crawl too long....

when I was talking about the fine tuning ability of the disc range it is not really something that I would use everyday but it's nice to have on hand...For certain area's and at certain times on the hunt...

The problem is manufacturer's either don't include these option's because of cost or they don't think they would be beneficial or they just flat out don't understand how far a Hobbyist as they like to call us will go to make a find....

I think it's the later ...they really just think it's a weekend hobby for relaxation...They are out of touch with the scope of the modern day hunter I do believe in alot of way's..

Hunter's today are more savvy and educated than 20 year's ago or even 10 year's ago and they expect more...You can think the World Wide Web for this!!

Keith
January 03, 2012 03:52AM
Keith --

I enjoyed your story, about sticking the shovel in the ground and there was an "un-detectable" piece of brass...

You say you were 8 years old at Christmastime, 1978...so was I. The difference, I only piddled around a few times with a detector -- when I could get my hands on my grandfather's old White's Goldmaster (big blue box on that thing, and it required more batteries than a young kid could afford...!!) While it ignited my interest, it lied semi-dormant for a long time, until I became re-acquainted with detecting as an adult. You, on the other hand, had the passion to detect and learn way back then...shows me where I could have been at this point had I started when you did.

Still...I am enjoying the journey now; better late than never, they say... And you are right -- every hunt is a learning experience. Fortunately, the process is accelerated -- through this site, in particular! Thanks for sharing!

Steve
January 03, 2012 04:23AM
What about that....The same age!!!!

If you tell me your birthday is in FEB. its going to get scary!!!

You being interested at an early age mean's it's a part of your DNA code...YOU CAN'T ESCAPE IT.....!!!!!!

Keith
Your welcome Possum..Thanks for inquiring!
January 03, 2012 04:26AM
N/T
January 03, 2012 04:45AM
Keith --

Nope, August... smiling smiley

I think you are right about the DNA thing, though... smiling smiley

Steve
January 03, 2012 07:22AM
Feb 18
January 03, 2012 01:23PM
Keith, you are making me feel good about the biggest complaint I have against myself. Every time I go to the hard hit fairgrounds and parks I always end up with a pouch full of bent nails. Its been a pet peeve of my for a long time. Nobody else I hunt with ever has as many as I do and I always felt like I was less efficient than they were. Why couldn't I eliminate them like they do? Turns out that's a good thing. Thanks
January 03, 2012 05:46PM
Wouldn't it be awesome if we could get a magnet powerful enough to rip iron up out of the ground that didn't require heavy machinery? Lol just drag it behind you on the ground and anything magnetic down to 6" just gets sucked up and stuck to it.

This lower iron disc thing worked awesome for us Monday. I took a fella hunting I go to church with and let him dig some relics. I didn't hunt any....just walked with him and helped when I could. We hit a skirmish site where I've found artillery frags, cannister shot, etc and it dawned on me that we had never had a machine like the eTrac there where we could customize the disc pattern down to the exact point of a nail and leave everything else open as to dig medium - large iron and of course everything non ferrous. My buddy dug several cannonball and shell frags that we had walked over all these years with just very min iron reject but you never could separate iron like that on the F75 and such (if it's enough to reject a nail you also rejected shell frags). He was able to get half of a 12 pound bormann that was just 2 inches in the ground and the lucky dog....on his first relic hunt ever he finds the fuse to it too.
January 03, 2012 10:12PM
I'm SOOOoooooo glad to hear this coming from others. ((( I'm no longer on an island ))). And I know I can explain it 'ONE' way........yet, , , , others can explain it a different way....... and bring more folks onboard.

Yes...... all of this is exactly 'why' the T2 ""Disc 21"" and the F75 ""Disc 6"" are such wonderful settings for 'JUST BARELY' discriminating out small rusted nails. . . . . . and ANYTHING that gives any form of a audio report above these Disc settings....... is HIGHLY suspect.... needing recovery....... especially in old areas/dirt.