Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

3D ground balancing

Posted by rustynaildan 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
3D ground balancing
November 16, 2008 10:19PM
Tom, I have an older 3-D and have never been sure I have ground balanced correctly. I have seen posted several times that you need to balance in the mode your using. My detector will only bobbing method balance in the Auto balance mode. If I switch to even all metal mode I hear nothing while bobbing. Is this normal, I bought it new and it came this way.

Thanks in advance
Dan
Re: 3D ground balancing
November 17, 2008 10:46PM
Dan,

I'm uncertain what you mean by 'Auto balance' mode. The best method to Grnd Bal is to place detector in Auto Tune mode (the next setting below '0' Disc).... and place Sens on '10'. You should hear a mild threshold hum in your headphones. Bob the coil whilst adjusting the Grnd Bal knob. Set it for neutral response. MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT GRND BALANCING ON A PIECE OF METAL. After the unit is Gnd Bal..... you can place Disc back into your preference..... and drop Sens to where you plan on hunting. My recommendation is to place Disc on '0' (so you can hear all of the different tones from the different metals)..... and place Sens on approx 4.5. You might need to drop Sens to 4.0 if unit is 'chattery'.
Re: 3D ground balancing
November 17, 2008 11:59PM
Thank you, I meant to say Auto Tune. I have always had slight uncertainty that I wasn’t balancing properly. Even your video says to balance in all metal. My property has so much decomposing iron, it is ridiculous, and so my test garden is only a few shallow coins and junk to get the tones. I buried a quarter,dime,nickle,and a penny approximitly 5 inches deep replacing the plugs back over them, I can get a good signal approximitly 4 to 6 inches off the ground on these coins. I have a very large collection of nails (square and round, how I got my name), shovels, picks, axes, plow points, mule harness buckles, horse shoes and misc. tools trying to clean some of the iron out, and I actually found a ripper blade that fits perfectly on my 5’ box blade that was missing one when I got it. I still regularly hit on shot shells and rifle cartriges at a 4 to 6 inch level. Looks like they had at least one really good dove shoot about the turn of the century here. I just cannot find any deeper older coins. I hunted hard to find a 67 dime at the 5 inch level, so I assume all of the poor farmers properly didn’t have any coins to loose here, LOL, actually I fear its iron and silent masking.. You have put my mine at ease. I enjoyed your video and have been waiting for your new one.

Dan